Kittens have tapeworm.

Breed: American Short/Mediu
About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates that had been separated for a few weeks and the vet I got them from sent me some deworming medicine when I got them home and found Shayna (the smaller one) had a really bad case of tape worms. I treated them with the Strongid as instructed; 1 dropper full once a week for 3 weeks. Its more than 10 days after the 3rd treatment and it looks they are both still having a problem with them, but again Shayna more so. Should I just start the treatment all over again or do I need to take them to my vet?
Amy, Gabby and Shayna

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi Amy. This is an interesting question.

Are you sure it is tapeworms that the kittens had? When cats have tapeworms you will see segments that look like either rice or sesame seeds. The segments are usually stuck to their bum or in the fur near the bum. The only way for a cat to get tapeworms is to either eat an infected mouse or to have fleas.

However, tapeworms are not treated with Strongid. So, I'm guessing they had a different type of parasite. Perhaps they were roundworms?

Before I give you a final answer, can you answer a few questions for me?

-What symptoms did the cats have the first time that you treated them?
-What symptoms is Shayna having now?

The description of tapeworms is exactly what Shayna has. They make their way out and as soon as they hit the air they look like rice or when broken up like sesame seeds and stick to their fur. They were pretty much all over her stool the first time she used the litter box when I brought her home. Also she is fairly gassy but was getting better with the treatment. I can still see them on the stool for both of them when they use the box, but I see them on Shayna more than Gabby. If this isn't treated with Strongid that would explain my problem....

For a little more background the girls were part of a litter of feral kittens that this vet was helping a client adopt out so who knows what they ate before they were rescued.

Amy

Interesting. It's unusual for young kittens to have tapeworms, but like you said, being feral, who knows what they've been into!

So, you'll need medication that is labelled for tapeworms in order to treat this. If you live in the US then tapeworm is available over the counter (i.e. at the pet store). In other countries, like Canada, it is only available by prescription.

Here is an example of a tapeworm medicine if you want to buy tapeworm medicine online.

For tapeworms you really only need to treat once. There is no need to repeat it.

It's always a good idea to have your vet do a fecal exam for you to make sure there aren't any other parasites there.

Thanks for you help. I'm in the US so I'll give the over the counter stuff a shot and see what happens from there.

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10953 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (35735 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7544 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6951 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33069 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19114 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10138 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7614 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21222 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11367 views)