Guinea Pig losing hair.

Breed: Guinea Pig
My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a little scaly but not red. He just ate a carrot out of my hand, so I know he's eating. What should I do? I have another 10 week old male with him. He's completely fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Jake is having some skin problems.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in guinea pigs. Do we know for sure that Jake is a male? The most common cause of hair loss in piggies is ovarian cysts (which would happen of course only in females). This usually causes a symmetrical hair loss over either side of the back end.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is possible as well.

They can also get mites.

Unfortunately for any of these conditions I usually recommend a vet visit. The vet should be able to determine the problem and tell you how to fix it.

One other thought - what kind of bedding are you using? If you are using pine or cedar bedding many guinea pigs are sensitive to this.

I hope he does ok!

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (19666 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (10544 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (17195 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (8887 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9629 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (7320 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (8857 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (11538 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (52613 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (54186 views)