Guinea Pig losing hair.

Breed: Guinea Pig
My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a little scaly but not red. He just ate a carrot out of my hand, so I know he's eating. What should I do? I have another 10 week old male with him. He's completely fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Jake is having some skin problems.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in guinea pigs. Do we know for sure that Jake is a male? The most common cause of hair loss in piggies is ovarian cysts (which would happen of course only in females). This usually causes a symmetrical hair loss over either side of the back end.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is possible as well.

They can also get mites.

Unfortunately for any of these conditions I usually recommend a vet visit. The vet should be able to determine the problem and tell you how to fix it.

One other thought - what kind of bedding are you using? If you are using pine or cedar bedding many guinea pigs are sensitive to this.

I hope he does ok!

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (7085 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17388 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12072 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (31353 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11603 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7063 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5365 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13372 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8022 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8442 views)