Guinea Pig losing hair.

Breed: Guinea Pig
My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a little scaly but not red. He just ate a carrot out of my hand, so I know he's eating. What should I do? I have another 10 week old male with him. He's completely fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Jake is having some skin problems.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in guinea pigs. Do we know for sure that Jake is a male? The most common cause of hair loss in piggies is ovarian cysts (which would happen of course only in females). This usually causes a symmetrical hair loss over either side of the back end.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is possible as well.

They can also get mites.

Unfortunately for any of these conditions I usually recommend a vet visit. The vet should be able to determine the problem and tell you how to fix it.

One other thought - what kind of bedding are you using? If you are using pine or cedar bedding many guinea pigs are sensitive to this.

I hope he does ok!

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (29111 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7632 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (16010 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (11628 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (28540 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (7512 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (12543 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (51782 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6031 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (8506 views)