Guinea Pig losing hair.

Breed: Guinea Pig
My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a little scaly but not red. He just ate a carrot out of my hand, so I know he's eating. What should I do? I have another 10 week old male with him. He's completely fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Jake is having some skin problems.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in guinea pigs. Do we know for sure that Jake is a male? The most common cause of hair loss in piggies is ovarian cysts (which would happen of course only in females). This usually causes a symmetrical hair loss over either side of the back end.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is possible as well.

They can also get mites.

Unfortunately for any of these conditions I usually recommend a vet visit. The vet should be able to determine the problem and tell you how to fix it.

One other thought - what kind of bedding are you using? If you are using pine or cedar bedding many guinea pigs are sensitive to this.

I hope he does ok!

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (34060 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (27497 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (17581 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19185 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (19501 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (11921 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (9253 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11865 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (11689 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5189 views)