Guinea Pig losing hair.

Breed: Guinea Pig
My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a little scaly but not red. He just ate a carrot out of my hand, so I know he's eating. What should I do? I have another 10 week old male with him. He's completely fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that Jake is having some skin problems.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in guinea pigs. Do we know for sure that Jake is a male? The most common cause of hair loss in piggies is ovarian cysts (which would happen of course only in females). This usually causes a symmetrical hair loss over either side of the back end.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection is possible as well.

They can also get mites.

Unfortunately for any of these conditions I usually recommend a vet visit. The vet should be able to determine the problem and tell you how to fix it.

One other thought - what kind of bedding are you using? If you are using pine or cedar bedding many guinea pigs are sensitive to this.

I hope he does ok!

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (12920 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (7531 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (22147 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9836 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (13963 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (16727 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (17863 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (11725 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (11945 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (10791 views)