Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (12041 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15280 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (10145 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (98377 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21586 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45330 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (44652 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14224 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (17837 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (20033 views)