Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (49710 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (6822 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13551 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9937 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13119 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47700 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6358 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7137 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8343 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13996 views)