Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (16525 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (44360 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (43793 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18775 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (25432 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6646 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9639 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (22346 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (14041 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18999 views)