Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21881 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19614 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (65946 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4738 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8440 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (7094 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (50481 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (12029 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (6027 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7928 views)