Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (15664 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13399 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7324 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6423 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (21687 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (7594 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (4819 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (31133 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32013 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (19568 views)