Facial lymph nodes on a dog.

Breed: Lab Pit mix
My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor (On such a young dog(8 months)). They each are about dime sized, and very pronounced. They dont seem to bug her, but I would also like to know if they are something worrysome. Thank you for your answers, and time.

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing does not sound common at all.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are facial lymph nodes. These can be enlarged due to any inflammation in the face. They can be enlarged because of an eye infection (but it would be unusual to be on both sides of the face) or dental infections. It is even possible to be enlarged during teething. However, at 8 months of age teething should be completed.

And then there are some dogs who simply have enlarged facial lymph nodes and we don't know why. It usually goes away on its own.

I have seen dogs with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) have enlarged facial lymph nodes. However, we would also see enlargement of other lymph nodes that is usually quite dramatic. Other places to feel for large bumps that would be lymph nodes are on the neck on either side of the base of the jaw and also at the back of the knees.

Most likely this is one of this is just one of those things that will eventually go away on its own but I do think a vet visit is a good idea to make sure there is not something else going on.

Related question: Is this a stye on my dog's eye?

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (12173 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (11296 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (20777 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (10862 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (9728 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8832 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (11528 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (45874 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (103158 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9622 views)