Bump on dog's ear.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Hi Dr. Marie

My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2 days ago I was rubbing Sy's ear and I noticed a little bump. Tonight when I got home I was rubbing the same ear and noticed it was a bit bigger and has turned into a scab. If you lightly put pressure over the spot you can still feel a bump. Could it be a bit from an insect or something more serious.

Thank You,

Joe Patterson

ps. please reply

Hi and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about skin issues without being able to see the dog but I'll give you my thoughts.

There certainly is a good chance that this is simply a scab from an insect sting or even a wound from a nip from another dog.

If the lump comes back then I would have it checked out by your vet to make sure that it is not a mast cell tumor as these can be serious lumps.

It could also be something called a histiocytoma. These look something like this:

histiocytoma on dog's ear

Sarcoptic mange (a skin mite) can cause itchiness and scabbing on the ear margin as well.

If it is something simple like a bug bite it should be cleared up in a few days. If it is not clearing up then a vet visit is a good idea.

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6151 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (16534 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (25089 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6314 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14742 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (68380 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (5329 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22481 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8672 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (40117 views)