Bump on dog's ear.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Hi Dr. Marie

My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2 days ago I was rubbing Sy's ear and I noticed a little bump. Tonight when I got home I was rubbing the same ear and noticed it was a bit bigger and has turned into a scab. If you lightly put pressure over the spot you can still feel a bump. Could it be a bit from an insect or something more serious.

Thank You,

Joe Patterson

ps. please reply

Hi and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about skin issues without being able to see the dog but I'll give you my thoughts.

There certainly is a good chance that this is simply a scab from an insect sting or even a wound from a nip from another dog.

If the lump comes back then I would have it checked out by your vet to make sure that it is not a mast cell tumor as these can be serious lumps.

It could also be something called a histiocytoma. These look something like this:

histiocytoma on dog's ear

Sarcoptic mange (a skin mite) can cause itchiness and scabbing on the ear margin as well.

If it is something simple like a bug bite it should be cleared up in a few days. If it is not clearing up then a vet visit is a good idea.

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (13014 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11936 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (37321 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (226314 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (12009 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (38579 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (62936 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (11701 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (14948 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (38381 views)