Bump on dog's ear.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Hi Dr. Marie

My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2 days ago I was rubbing Sy's ear and I noticed a little bump. Tonight when I got home I was rubbing the same ear and noticed it was a bit bigger and has turned into a scab. If you lightly put pressure over the spot you can still feel a bump. Could it be a bit from an insect or something more serious.

Thank You,

Joe Patterson

ps. please reply

Hi and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about skin issues without being able to see the dog but I'll give you my thoughts.

There certainly is a good chance that this is simply a scab from an insect sting or even a wound from a nip from another dog.

If the lump comes back then I would have it checked out by your vet to make sure that it is not a mast cell tumor as these can be serious lumps.

It could also be something called a histiocytoma. These look something like this:

histiocytoma on dog's ear

Sarcoptic mange (a skin mite) can cause itchiness and scabbing on the ear margin as well.

If it is something simple like a bug bite it should be cleared up in a few days. If it is not clearing up then a vet visit is a good idea.

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (17540 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (27969 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (5680 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (8243 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (25135 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21473 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (17071 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (13645 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (54614 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (38135 views)