Bump on dog's ear.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Hi Dr. Marie

My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2 days ago I was rubbing Sy's ear and I noticed a little bump. Tonight when I got home I was rubbing the same ear and noticed it was a bit bigger and has turned into a scab. If you lightly put pressure over the spot you can still feel a bump. Could it be a bit from an insect or something more serious.

Thank You,

Joe Patterson

ps. please reply

Hi and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about skin issues without being able to see the dog but I'll give you my thoughts.

There certainly is a good chance that this is simply a scab from an insect sting or even a wound from a nip from another dog.

If the lump comes back then I would have it checked out by your vet to make sure that it is not a mast cell tumor as these can be serious lumps.

It could also be something called a histiocytoma. These look something like this:

histiocytoma on dog's ear

Sarcoptic mange (a skin mite) can cause itchiness and scabbing on the ear margin as well.

If it is something simple like a bug bite it should be cleared up in a few days. If it is not clearing up then a vet visit is a good idea.

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (10963 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9467 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (25037 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (29110 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (12307 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (8847 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (7675 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4436 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (13318 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6369 views)