Bump on dog's ear.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Hi Dr. Marie

My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2 days ago I was rubbing Sy's ear and I noticed a little bump. Tonight when I got home I was rubbing the same ear and noticed it was a bit bigger and has turned into a scab. If you lightly put pressure over the spot you can still feel a bump. Could it be a bit from an insect or something more serious.

Thank You,

Joe Patterson

ps. please reply

Hi and thanks for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about skin issues without being able to see the dog but I'll give you my thoughts.

There certainly is a good chance that this is simply a scab from an insect sting or even a wound from a nip from another dog.

If the lump comes back then I would have it checked out by your vet to make sure that it is not a mast cell tumor as these can be serious lumps.

It could also be something called a histiocytoma. These look something like this:

histiocytoma on dog's ear

Sarcoptic mange (a skin mite) can cause itchiness and scabbing on the ear margin as well.

If it is something simple like a bug bite it should be cleared up in a few days. If it is not clearing up then a vet visit is a good idea.

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15502 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22944 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9537 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10477 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (10309 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8515 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6016 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4772 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (33127 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13583 views)