Sick after spay.

Breed: Domestic feline
She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.). Yesterday she stopped eating, drinking and playing suddenly. She looks sedated and will let me pet her but is not interactive. I cant detect any change in the incision but she wont really let me check her out she did use the litter box today She is walking slowly and I just saw her jump onto a chair but not with her usual grace. She won't play with her littermate. My vet is sick today (Sunday) and I want to know if I can wait until tomorrow to take her in, as I can't afford emergency care.

What you have described has me worried. Any time a cat goes off of her food there is a medical problem. Given that she was recently spayed, there is the possibility that this is something serious.

Are you able to look at the color of her gums (i.e. by lifting up her lip)? If they look very pale pink or white then it is possible that she is bleeding internally. This is not common after a spay surgery but it can happen.

It's also possible that she has an infection inside of her abdomen. You may not be able to see any changes in her suture line. An infection will cause a fever which could cause her to be very lethargic and not want to eat.

Another possibility is if she has a problem with her kidneys. It's really uncommon but sometimes an animal's kidneys can be damaged if there is a drop in blood pressure during an anesthetic, or if they react to certain medications that would have been given during the surgery. It can sometimes take several days for a cat to start showing signs of illness after this happens.

There are other possibilities. If she wasn't recently spayed then I would wonder if she had eaten something toxic to her, or even something that has just caused some stomach upset. If she goes outside, then an infection from a cat bite or scratch could be the culprit. However, a sudden decrease in activity and lack of appetite is always something that has me concerned.

If there is any way at all that you can get her seen today then I would try to get this done! For some of these conditions (bleeding, infection, toxin), waiting another 24 hours would not be good at all.

I wish I had a more cheerful answer for you. I really hope she is ok!

By the way, you may find this article on help with veterinary bills useful.

I just offered her some treats and she gobbled them down, so I'm going to watch her for awhile and if she keeps them down, will take her to her regular vet tomorrow.

Oh, this is a good sign! As long as she wants to eat then I think you're ok to wait another day.

Did you get a chance to check her gums though? If they are white then I'd take her today...but it sounds like this is unlikely!

Her gums are pink. I had a cat with hemolytic anemia so I know what that looks like. Scarlette is definitely weak -I just saw her miss a jump she does all the time, but she is using her litter box and seems a little more alert.

While it does sound like she needs to be seen, I'm so glad to hear that she's making an improvement.

Feel free to update this thread after your visit tomorrow. I hope everything works out ok!

Thanks so much. I just fed her some kitty crack (commercial wet cat food with sauce for moisture) and she chowed down. I'll take her in tomorrow. Thanks again.

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (25270 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (28749 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (26792 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (10396 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (7962 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14261 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (4863 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7241 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (10793 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (21326 views)