Chinese Crested with diarrhea

Breed: Chinese Crested
This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age. Snickers is now 14 yrs old. She has 1 back tooth left. She has started losing weight even tho' her appetite is good. I switched her to canned food approx 2 mos ago hoping to keep her at a healthy weight. She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and didn't eat her dog food last night (VERY unusual). She seems to be losing control and is squirting watery feces in seconds from the time she wants to go out...drips of feces everywhere. I have a fenced yard and I go out with her every time she goes outside so I am sure she hasn't been 'poisoned' by something she ate outside. What should I do?
Is it vet visit time or is there a home remedy, I wondered about trying to get her to eat oatmeal. Before this she would eat anything and everything. This is the first time in the 6 yrs I have had her (since I rescued her) that she has lost her appetite.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have a few Chinese Crested dogs in my practice and I love them!

What you have described with Snickers has me concerned. It doesn't sound like this is related to her dental issues.

When I see an older animal who has diarrhea and doesn't want to eat I get concerned about things like kidney disease, liver disease or unfortunately certain types of cancers.

Generally, if a dog has some mild diarrhea I say it is ok to try taking her off of food for 24 hours and then feeding her small meals of chicken and rice. But, this doesn't sound like this is a mild case of diarrhea.

I do think it is best to have your vet examine Snickers. Your vet will likely do some blood and maybe urine tests to determine if there is anything serious going on.

I'd stay away from the oatmeal for now.

I really hope she does ok!

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (9176 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (40644 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7995 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (7381 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (10181 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11856 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (11143 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (13818 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7841 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (28533 views)