Chinese Crested with diarrhea

Breed: Chinese Crested
This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age. Snickers is now 14 yrs old. She has 1 back tooth left. She has started losing weight even tho' her appetite is good. I switched her to canned food approx 2 mos ago hoping to keep her at a healthy weight. She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and didn't eat her dog food last night (VERY unusual). She seems to be losing control and is squirting watery feces in seconds from the time she wants to go out...drips of feces everywhere. I have a fenced yard and I go out with her every time she goes outside so I am sure she hasn't been 'poisoned' by something she ate outside. What should I do?
Is it vet visit time or is there a home remedy, I wondered about trying to get her to eat oatmeal. Before this she would eat anything and everything. This is the first time in the 6 yrs I have had her (since I rescued her) that she has lost her appetite.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have a few Chinese Crested dogs in my practice and I love them!

What you have described with Snickers has me concerned. It doesn't sound like this is related to her dental issues.

When I see an older animal who has diarrhea and doesn't want to eat I get concerned about things like kidney disease, liver disease or unfortunately certain types of cancers.

Generally, if a dog has some mild diarrhea I say it is ok to try taking her off of food for 24 hours and then feeding her small meals of chicken and rice. But, this doesn't sound like this is a mild case of diarrhea.

I do think it is best to have your vet examine Snickers. Your vet will likely do some blood and maybe urine tests to determine if there is anything serious going on.

I'd stay away from the oatmeal for now.

I really hope she does ok!

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9474 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (21308 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9206 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25345 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4377 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8093 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10224 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (5803 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (6962 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9846 views)