Chinese Crested with diarrhea

Breed: Chinese Crested
This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age. Snickers is now 14 yrs old. She has 1 back tooth left. She has started losing weight even tho' her appetite is good. I switched her to canned food approx 2 mos ago hoping to keep her at a healthy weight. She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and didn't eat her dog food last night (VERY unusual). She seems to be losing control and is squirting watery feces in seconds from the time she wants to go out...drips of feces everywhere. I have a fenced yard and I go out with her every time she goes outside so I am sure she hasn't been 'poisoned' by something she ate outside. What should I do?
Is it vet visit time or is there a home remedy, I wondered about trying to get her to eat oatmeal. Before this she would eat anything and everything. This is the first time in the 6 yrs I have had her (since I rescued her) that she has lost her appetite.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have a few Chinese Crested dogs in my practice and I love them!

What you have described with Snickers has me concerned. It doesn't sound like this is related to her dental issues.

When I see an older animal who has diarrhea and doesn't want to eat I get concerned about things like kidney disease, liver disease or unfortunately certain types of cancers.

Generally, if a dog has some mild diarrhea I say it is ok to try taking her off of food for 24 hours and then feeding her small meals of chicken and rice. But, this doesn't sound like this is a mild case of diarrhea.

I do think it is best to have your vet examine Snickers. Your vet will likely do some blood and maybe urine tests to determine if there is anything serious going on.

I'd stay away from the oatmeal for now.

I really hope she does ok!

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (11090 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (57698 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (25918 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (43447 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (8412 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (37141 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (41891 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (11617 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (7652 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (28145 views)