Chinese Crested with diarrhea

Breed: Chinese Crested
This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age. Snickers is now 14 yrs old. She has 1 back tooth left. She has started losing weight even tho' her appetite is good. I switched her to canned food approx 2 mos ago hoping to keep her at a healthy weight. She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and didn't eat her dog food last night (VERY unusual). She seems to be losing control and is squirting watery feces in seconds from the time she wants to go out...drips of feces everywhere. I have a fenced yard and I go out with her every time she goes outside so I am sure she hasn't been 'poisoned' by something she ate outside. What should I do?
Is it vet visit time or is there a home remedy, I wondered about trying to get her to eat oatmeal. Before this she would eat anything and everything. This is the first time in the 6 yrs I have had her (since I rescued her) that she has lost her appetite.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have a few Chinese Crested dogs in my practice and I love them!

What you have described with Snickers has me concerned. It doesn't sound like this is related to her dental issues.

When I see an older animal who has diarrhea and doesn't want to eat I get concerned about things like kidney disease, liver disease or unfortunately certain types of cancers.

Generally, if a dog has some mild diarrhea I say it is ok to try taking her off of food for 24 hours and then feeding her small meals of chicken and rice. But, this doesn't sound like this is a mild case of diarrhea.

I do think it is best to have your vet examine Snickers. Your vet will likely do some blood and maybe urine tests to determine if there is anything serious going on.

I'd stay away from the oatmeal for now.

I really hope she does ok!

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19353 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11966 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5944 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8011 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (48090 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12845 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4459 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (20604 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (29678 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14968 views)