Chinese Crested with diarrhea

Breed: Chinese Crested
This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age. Snickers is now 14 yrs old. She has 1 back tooth left. She has started losing weight even tho' her appetite is good. I switched her to canned food approx 2 mos ago hoping to keep her at a healthy weight. She has had diarrhea for 2 days now and didn't eat her dog food last night (VERY unusual). She seems to be losing control and is squirting watery feces in seconds from the time she wants to go out...drips of feces everywhere. I have a fenced yard and I go out with her every time she goes outside so I am sure she hasn't been 'poisoned' by something she ate outside. What should I do?
Is it vet visit time or is there a home remedy, I wondered about trying to get her to eat oatmeal. Before this she would eat anything and everything. This is the first time in the 6 yrs I have had her (since I rescued her) that she has lost her appetite.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have a few Chinese Crested dogs in my practice and I love them!

What you have described with Snickers has me concerned. It doesn't sound like this is related to her dental issues.

When I see an older animal who has diarrhea and doesn't want to eat I get concerned about things like kidney disease, liver disease or unfortunately certain types of cancers.

Generally, if a dog has some mild diarrhea I say it is ok to try taking her off of food for 24 hours and then feeding her small meals of chicken and rice. But, this doesn't sound like this is a mild case of diarrhea.

I do think it is best to have your vet examine Snickers. Your vet will likely do some blood and maybe urine tests to determine if there is anything serious going on.

I'd stay away from the oatmeal for now.

I really hope she does ok!

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (6320 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (10477 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (7381 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (13518 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (7017 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (18375 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (13147 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (11187 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (19477 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (9557 views)