Coughing cat.

Breed: I don't know
One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like to send to you if I can. He's eating and acting normal otherwise but he's hacking a lot and nothing is coming up. He excessive bathes so I thought it might be a hairball or something funky he ate. A few days ago we switched wet food to seafood but we are giving him normal stuff now. I read it could be asthma or coughing or something else.he's almost impossible to take to the vet. He becomes very hostile. I really want to show you the video to help you distinguish what's going on.

Thank you for sharing this video of your cat:

Although it's a sideways video, it's still a really good video of a coughing cat. While I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The most common reason for a cat to cough like this is asthma. There are many possible reasons for asthma. Asthma can be made worse by the presence of allergies. Depending on where you live, allergies can be really common at this time of year (early fall).

If he goes outside, it may actually be helpful to keep him inside for the next couple of weeks if possible. Or, if you can't keep him inside, you can try wiping down his fur with a wet paper towel to reduce the number of allergens on him.

Another thing that I have seen bring out asthma in a cat at this time of year is fleas. Even if you don't see fleas, this could be the issue. This article on fleas is a really good one to read just to be sure. So why would fleas cause coughing? It's because some cats are allergic to fleas. While most flea allergies cause itchiness and skin problems, they still can lower the "allergy threshold" and cause other symptoms like coughing.

There are other things that can cause a cat to cough but they are nowhere near as common as asthma. If you live in an area where heartworm is common, then this is a possibility. Other more rare possibilities include eosinophilic pneumonia and others. But really, asthma is most likely.

If this is asthma, if your cat is only coughing a few times a day, you can possibly just ignore the symptoms for now. But, if the coughing increases, if it seems really bothersome to him or if he is getting sick (i.e. not eating, very lethargic) then he really should find a way to get to be seen by a vet. Your vet may be willing to give him some sedation perhaps to help the visit go smoother.

There is no at home treatment for asthma. In cases that do need medication, your vet may prescribe steroids either given orally, by injection or via a kitty inhaler or other medications given my inhaler. But again, many cases of asthma do not need to be treated.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for your reply. he's coughing around 9 times a day like that. Coincidentally I'm sick too right now. It could definitely be allergies. He doesn't go outside but he does go out into a screened in area where he likes to lay in the sun. It seems most of his coughing happens when he's asleep and it wakes him up. And it waked me up too. I'm going to try the paper towel thing. Is there any natural things I can give him or help with the environment. From the video are you sure for the most part its not a hairball clog?

This really doesn't look like a hairball issue...but I can't really say for certain. Unfortunately there really isn't a home remedy I can suggest. If it keeps happening 9x a day or more then he really will need to see a vet.

Hope he is better soon!

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (13452 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10875 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (15127 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (9754 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (13455 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (45869 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (17307 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (7812 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (34896 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (20783 views)