Coughing cat.

Breed: I don't know
One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like to send to you if I can. He's eating and acting normal otherwise but he's hacking a lot and nothing is coming up. He excessive bathes so I thought it might be a hairball or something funky he ate. A few days ago we switched wet food to seafood but we are giving him normal stuff now. I read it could be asthma or coughing or something else.he's almost impossible to take to the vet. He becomes very hostile. I really want to show you the video to help you distinguish what's going on.

Thank you for sharing this video of your cat:

Although it's a sideways video, it's still a really good video of a coughing cat. While I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The most common reason for a cat to cough like this is asthma. There are many possible reasons for asthma. Asthma can be made worse by the presence of allergies. Depending on where you live, allergies can be really common at this time of year (early fall).

If he goes outside, it may actually be helpful to keep him inside for the next couple of weeks if possible. Or, if you can't keep him inside, you can try wiping down his fur with a wet paper towel to reduce the number of allergens on him.

Another thing that I have seen bring out asthma in a cat at this time of year is fleas. Even if you don't see fleas, this could be the issue. This article on fleas is a really good one to read just to be sure. So why would fleas cause coughing? It's because some cats are allergic to fleas. While most flea allergies cause itchiness and skin problems, they still can lower the "allergy threshold" and cause other symptoms like coughing.

There are other things that can cause a cat to cough but they are nowhere near as common as asthma. If you live in an area where heartworm is common, then this is a possibility. Other more rare possibilities include eosinophilic pneumonia and others. But really, asthma is most likely.

If this is asthma, if your cat is only coughing a few times a day, you can possibly just ignore the symptoms for now. But, if the coughing increases, if it seems really bothersome to him or if he is getting sick (i.e. not eating, very lethargic) then he really should find a way to get to be seen by a vet. Your vet may be willing to give him some sedation perhaps to help the visit go smoother.

There is no at home treatment for asthma. In cases that do need medication, your vet may prescribe steroids either given orally, by injection or via a kitty inhaler or other medications given my inhaler. But again, many cases of asthma do not need to be treated.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you for your reply. he's coughing around 9 times a day like that. Coincidentally I'm sick too right now. It could definitely be allergies. He doesn't go outside but he does go out into a screened in area where he likes to lay in the sun. It seems most of his coughing happens when he's asleep and it wakes him up. And it waked me up too. I'm going to try the paper towel thing. Is there any natural things I can give him or help with the environment. From the video are you sure for the most part its not a hairball clog?

This really doesn't look like a hairball issue...but I can't really say for certain. Unfortunately there really isn't a home remedy I can suggest. If it keeps happening 9x a day or more then he really will need to see a vet.

Hope he is better soon!

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11765 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13085 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4776 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6093 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (9977 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6251 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6453 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (82247 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8447 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (11072 views)