Vomiting yorkie.

Breed: Yorkshire terrier
Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that tonight she vomited like 7-8 times within 10 minutes and it was undigested food. I only feed her chicken and rice, but the rice was still formed as was the chicken after 15 hours since feeding her. Should I worry about this? She had very hyperactive bowel sounds that I could hear without the use of a stethoscope. I happened to have some sacralfate (spelling?) for nausea here and I gave her 1/4 tablet and it seems to have calmed her stomach.

Sorry to hear that Abby may be not feeling well.

The answer really depends on how Abby is acting now. If she vomited several times in a row, but seems happy and is wanting to eat then I wouldn't be too worried.

But, if she seems like she is quieter than usual and has no appetite then there may e something going on.

The sucralfate is a good idea. It will help to ease any minor stomach upset.

If Abby seems relatively bright and there is no more vomiting then I think it is fine to keep an eye on her overnight. If she vomits again in the morning though, or doesn't want to eat then it would be good to get her checked out.

And as always, I recommend to "follow your gut". If something is telling you that she is really sick then I would have her see her vet right away. The biggest concerns I have would be either pancreatitis or a foreign object in her stomach or intestines. Both of these would make her very sick though.

Well it is bedtime so she is quiet but earlier she was fine. I feed her twice a day and had forgotten to feed her tonight due to a migraine. When she started heaving I thought the acid was causing her to be sick on her stomach because it had been so long since I fed her - but I know she threw up every bit that I had fed her this morning.

I think she will be fine tonight but another thing that worries me and sometimes when she poohs - it looks twisted like a piece of yarn or rope. Does twisted pooh mean anything? She doesn't drink a lot so her pooh is usually dry also but I have started adding water to her chicken and rice to introduce more liquids.

I really appreciate your time and advice. She is a very special little girl.

You're very welcome!

Often we simply don't know the cause of vomiting. We could speculate all kinds of things, but if it is just a one-time event I wouldn't be too worried.

The "twisted poo" is not a sign of any medical condition that I am aware of! :)

Thank you again for your time! I really appreciate it and feel much better. Just seemed strange that her food had not been digested after 15 hours. If nothing changes, we hope to get a good night sleep. Hope you can too! Thank you again!

You're very welcome. I don't have an answer for you as to why the food was undigested. Again, I'd be worried if she continued to do this (as this could mean there was a foreign object in her stomach).

Thanks, I'm off to bed too!

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (18028 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25310 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9361 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (13602 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (23858 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16246 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7910 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11419 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24048 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13404 views)