Start thryoid medicine?

Breed: Domestic Short hair
Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound already but is still about 2 pounds overweight. He feels fine and is otherwise healthy. Should I wait to start treatment with tapazole until he gets to his goal weight? Or should I start treatment immeidiately?

Thanks

I can understand the logic here - it would be great to have Biscuit lose some weight. However, this is not a healthy way to do it.

I would definitely advise starting the thyroid medicine right away. When a cat is hyperthyroid, their metabolism speeds up dramatically. They have a very fast heart rate and their blood pressure increases.

If a cat has high blood pressure for too long they are at risk for getting serious heart problems and blood pressure issues. One very serious issue that cats can get when they have high blood pressure is a condition called retinal detachment which causes blindness that is usually permanent.

I have a friend who is hyperthyroid and she says that when her thyroid level is too high she just feels awful.

You may still find that Biscuit loses some weight even on thyroid medication, but not as quickly as without.

I hope he does well!

Thank you. Very helpful.

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19416 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14233 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32410 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (28635 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7638 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8255 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (39038 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9120 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10502 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (9976 views)