Start thryoid medicine?

Breed: Domestic Short hair
Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound already but is still about 2 pounds overweight. He feels fine and is otherwise healthy. Should I wait to start treatment with tapazole until he gets to his goal weight? Or should I start treatment immeidiately?

Thanks

I can understand the logic here - it would be great to have Biscuit lose some weight. However, this is not a healthy way to do it.

I would definitely advise starting the thyroid medicine right away. When a cat is hyperthyroid, their metabolism speeds up dramatically. They have a very fast heart rate and their blood pressure increases.

If a cat has high blood pressure for too long they are at risk for getting serious heart problems and blood pressure issues. One very serious issue that cats can get when they have high blood pressure is a condition called retinal detachment which causes blindness that is usually permanent.

I have a friend who is hyperthyroid and she says that when her thyroid level is too high she just feels awful.

You may still find that Biscuit loses some weight even on thyroid medication, but not as quickly as without.

I hope he does well!

Thank you. Very helpful.

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13552 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7996 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (13056 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (19451 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (10434 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (14242 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (8309 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (15299 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (89095 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (58847 views)