Start thryoid medicine?

Breed: Domestic Short hair
Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound already but is still about 2 pounds overweight. He feels fine and is otherwise healthy. Should I wait to start treatment with tapazole until he gets to his goal weight? Or should I start treatment immeidiately?

Thanks

I can understand the logic here - it would be great to have Biscuit lose some weight. However, this is not a healthy way to do it.

I would definitely advise starting the thyroid medicine right away. When a cat is hyperthyroid, their metabolism speeds up dramatically. They have a very fast heart rate and their blood pressure increases.

If a cat has high blood pressure for too long they are at risk for getting serious heart problems and blood pressure issues. One very serious issue that cats can get when they have high blood pressure is a condition called retinal detachment which causes blindness that is usually permanent.

I have a friend who is hyperthyroid and she says that when her thyroid level is too high she just feels awful.

You may still find that Biscuit loses some weight even on thyroid medication, but not as quickly as without.

I hope he does well!

Thank you. Very helpful.

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (6397 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (35327 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11415 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5566 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (103178 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10531 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (9344 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5817 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (10609 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6787 views)