Start thryoid medicine?

Breed: Domestic Short hair
Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound already but is still about 2 pounds overweight. He feels fine and is otherwise healthy. Should I wait to start treatment with tapazole until he gets to his goal weight? Or should I start treatment immeidiately?

Thanks

I can understand the logic here - it would be great to have Biscuit lose some weight. However, this is not a healthy way to do it.

I would definitely advise starting the thyroid medicine right away. When a cat is hyperthyroid, their metabolism speeds up dramatically. They have a very fast heart rate and their blood pressure increases.

If a cat has high blood pressure for too long they are at risk for getting serious heart problems and blood pressure issues. One very serious issue that cats can get when they have high blood pressure is a condition called retinal detachment which causes blindness that is usually permanent.

I have a friend who is hyperthyroid and she says that when her thyroid level is too high she just feels awful.

You may still find that Biscuit loses some weight even on thyroid medication, but not as quickly as without.

I hope he does well!

Thank you. Very helpful.

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32042 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22261 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15560 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9360 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (17774 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (32077 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11956 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6736 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8716 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8772 views)