Gurgling belly.

Breed: Chihuahua
I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However, she claims it happens a couple times a month.

Emilio's stomach will make noises similar to when a person gets diahreah (sp), and he will refuse to eat until it has stopped. I've seem it last a whole night where he won't eat until noon and I've seen it last a whole day where he will not eat all day. He usually poops during that time, and will eat again once it stops. He never has diahreah when this happens.

He is 9 years old. He was put on a diet 2 years ago, he gets fed at 6:30 A.M. And 4:30 P.M. I just watched him for two weeks and it happened twice, the first time at midnight it started and he skipped his breakfast but ate at noon. The second time it started at 5:30 am and my mom came home from vacation and at 4:30 pm he still had not eaten. During his stay I did not allow him to eat any food or treats that my mom did not pack because I know how easily he gets upset.

Is this problem serious? Or just upset stomach? I should add I know some chihuahuas get upset away from home however he is always at ease here and often sleeps over, and this problem happens at his normal home as well. Thank you for your time, I deeply appreciate it!

-Courtney

This is a tough question to answer!

Some dogs can have a very sensitive stomach and we just can't figure out why. I have several patients who have gurgly bellies and lack of appetite from time to time and they usually respond well to famotidine. Famotidine is pepcid that you can buy at the pharmacy. A little dog like this can have 1/4 tablet once a day.

It would be interesting to keep a food diary to see what Emilio is eating. You may be able to connect the episodes to a particular type of food.

It's not likely to be anything serious. However, if it seems like it is getting worse then he really should see a vet.

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (12143 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (13713 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10972 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4004 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26828 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (12983 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7729 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5177 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (23442 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13650 views)