Gurgling belly.

Breed: Chihuahua
I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However, she claims it happens a couple times a month.

Emilio's stomach will make noises similar to when a person gets diahreah (sp), and he will refuse to eat until it has stopped. I've seem it last a whole night where he won't eat until noon and I've seen it last a whole day where he will not eat all day. He usually poops during that time, and will eat again once it stops. He never has diahreah when this happens.

He is 9 years old. He was put on a diet 2 years ago, he gets fed at 6:30 A.M. And 4:30 P.M. I just watched him for two weeks and it happened twice, the first time at midnight it started and he skipped his breakfast but ate at noon. The second time it started at 5:30 am and my mom came home from vacation and at 4:30 pm he still had not eaten. During his stay I did not allow him to eat any food or treats that my mom did not pack because I know how easily he gets upset.

Is this problem serious? Or just upset stomach? I should add I know some chihuahuas get upset away from home however he is always at ease here and often sleeps over, and this problem happens at his normal home as well. Thank you for your time, I deeply appreciate it!

-Courtney

This is a tough question to answer!

Some dogs can have a very sensitive stomach and we just can't figure out why. I have several patients who have gurgly bellies and lack of appetite from time to time and they usually respond well to famotidine. Famotidine is pepcid that you can buy at the pharmacy. A little dog like this can have 1/4 tablet once a day.

It would be interesting to keep a food diary to see what Emilio is eating. You may be able to connect the episodes to a particular type of food.

It's not likely to be anything serious. However, if it seems like it is getting worse then he really should see a vet.

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (7177 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (28571 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5708 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6683 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17593 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (11681 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7220 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (26044 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8305 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (11803 views)