Gurgling belly.

Breed: Chihuahua
I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However, she claims it happens a couple times a month.

Emilio's stomach will make noises similar to when a person gets diahreah (sp), and he will refuse to eat until it has stopped. I've seem it last a whole night where he won't eat until noon and I've seen it last a whole day where he will not eat all day. He usually poops during that time, and will eat again once it stops. He never has diahreah when this happens.

He is 9 years old. He was put on a diet 2 years ago, he gets fed at 6:30 A.M. And 4:30 P.M. I just watched him for two weeks and it happened twice, the first time at midnight it started and he skipped his breakfast but ate at noon. The second time it started at 5:30 am and my mom came home from vacation and at 4:30 pm he still had not eaten. During his stay I did not allow him to eat any food or treats that my mom did not pack because I know how easily he gets upset.

Is this problem serious? Or just upset stomach? I should add I know some chihuahuas get upset away from home however he is always at ease here and often sleeps over, and this problem happens at his normal home as well. Thank you for your time, I deeply appreciate it!

-Courtney

This is a tough question to answer!

Some dogs can have a very sensitive stomach and we just can't figure out why. I have several patients who have gurgly bellies and lack of appetite from time to time and they usually respond well to famotidine. Famotidine is pepcid that you can buy at the pharmacy. A little dog like this can have 1/4 tablet once a day.

It would be interesting to keep a food diary to see what Emilio is eating. You may be able to connect the episodes to a particular type of food.

It's not likely to be anything serious. However, if it seems like it is getting worse then he really should see a vet.

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (8183 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (75718 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (12139 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (24635 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (7998 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7192 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (19422 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (23529 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (91366 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (52319 views)