Gurgling belly.

Breed: Chihuahua
I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However, she claims it happens a couple times a month.

Emilio's stomach will make noises similar to when a person gets diahreah (sp), and he will refuse to eat until it has stopped. I've seem it last a whole night where he won't eat until noon and I've seen it last a whole day where he will not eat all day. He usually poops during that time, and will eat again once it stops. He never has diahreah when this happens.

He is 9 years old. He was put on a diet 2 years ago, he gets fed at 6:30 A.M. And 4:30 P.M. I just watched him for two weeks and it happened twice, the first time at midnight it started and he skipped his breakfast but ate at noon. The second time it started at 5:30 am and my mom came home from vacation and at 4:30 pm he still had not eaten. During his stay I did not allow him to eat any food or treats that my mom did not pack because I know how easily he gets upset.

Is this problem serious? Or just upset stomach? I should add I know some chihuahuas get upset away from home however he is always at ease here and often sleeps over, and this problem happens at his normal home as well. Thank you for your time, I deeply appreciate it!

-Courtney

This is a tough question to answer!

Some dogs can have a very sensitive stomach and we just can't figure out why. I have several patients who have gurgly bellies and lack of appetite from time to time and they usually respond well to famotidine. Famotidine is pepcid that you can buy at the pharmacy. A little dog like this can have 1/4 tablet once a day.

It would be interesting to keep a food diary to see what Emilio is eating. You may be able to connect the episodes to a particular type of food.

It's not likely to be anything serious. However, if it seems like it is getting worse then he really should see a vet.

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5099 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8342 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4832 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4604 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17828 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15132 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40552 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70883 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8337 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10172 views)