Gurgling belly.

Breed: Chihuahua
I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However, she claims it happens a couple times a month.

Emilio's stomach will make noises similar to when a person gets diahreah (sp), and he will refuse to eat until it has stopped. I've seem it last a whole night where he won't eat until noon and I've seen it last a whole day where he will not eat all day. He usually poops during that time, and will eat again once it stops. He never has diahreah when this happens.

He is 9 years old. He was put on a diet 2 years ago, he gets fed at 6:30 A.M. And 4:30 P.M. I just watched him for two weeks and it happened twice, the first time at midnight it started and he skipped his breakfast but ate at noon. The second time it started at 5:30 am and my mom came home from vacation and at 4:30 pm he still had not eaten. During his stay I did not allow him to eat any food or treats that my mom did not pack because I know how easily he gets upset.

Is this problem serious? Or just upset stomach? I should add I know some chihuahuas get upset away from home however he is always at ease here and often sleeps over, and this problem happens at his normal home as well. Thank you for your time, I deeply appreciate it!

-Courtney

This is a tough question to answer!

Some dogs can have a very sensitive stomach and we just can't figure out why. I have several patients who have gurgly bellies and lack of appetite from time to time and they usually respond well to famotidine. Famotidine is pepcid that you can buy at the pharmacy. A little dog like this can have 1/4 tablet once a day.

It would be interesting to keep a food diary to see what Emilio is eating. You may be able to connect the episodes to a particular type of food.

It's not likely to be anything serious. However, if it seems like it is getting worse then he really should see a vet.

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (92826 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (8134 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6926 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8330 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29455 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10228 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13040 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (13090 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11289 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8755 views)