Great Dane not eating.

Breed: great dane
Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and just sleeps all the time. she will eat human food though so i have been giving her hot dogs and watered out skim milk. she seems very short on energy and limps a little. she also has been shaking her ears alot so im not sure if thats an ear ache. molly has had no vomiting or accidents.

You clicked the box saying that Molly was between 5 and 8 years old. For a Great Dane this is considered a senior age.

Whenever I see an older dog who gets picky about their food I get concerned about a medical problem.

It sounds like Molly will need to see the vet for an exam and some blood tests. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed (like a tooth infection). But I am concerned that it might be something more serious.

It is not a good idea to give her hot dogs and milk. Neither of these are good for dogs.

I really hope she is ok!

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23541 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (72930 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5368 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9441 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11089 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15964 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14350 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (31314 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (15745 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6986 views)