Bassett hound freaks out

Breed: bassett hound
Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his shots and a check up, once only 2 months ago. He dprained his tail when my partner and I were both away from the house one evening and we took him to the vet the next day and he was fine within 3 days. My question is about his behavioural outbursts. Once in a while he has outbursts where he will run away from everything and everyone barking non stop and howling. we cannot regain control over him during these eppisodes, and its really frightening. It has happened 4 times in the past 2 months. There is no common trigger and we cannot figure out why it happens. The first time, he was in our house with another friends hound and out of the blue started freaking out and ran round our neighborhood barking and freaking out, the second time we were on a bike ride with some friends and other dogs, the third time walking home from a friends and the fourth time today at the lake. He would not let anyone near him and ran way off into the woods. Its not a regular barking either, he seems very disstressed and scared. Can you please suggest what may be causeing this behaviour? PS. there is never any injurry site, no licking or biting anywhere and after the eppisodes he calms back to normal within 20 minutes.

I'm sorry to hear that Whiskey is having this frustrating problem!

While I can't say for sure, I'll give you a few ideas.

I wonder if he is having periodic bouts of pain. It is possible that he has some back pain. If he is getting back spasms that come and go this could cause him to be very distressed. It is hard to determine if there is back pain but your vet should be able to help decide if this is the case.

Another possible reason for animals to have sudden outbursts where they seem uncomfortable is if there is a problem with the anal glands. Anal glands on a Bassett are sometimes hard to empty, so it's best to have your vet do this.

It is also possible that this is some type of a behavioral problem with a trigger that we haven't figured out yet. You may want to talk to your vet about a medication called clomicalm which really helps with anxiety in pets.

In any case, it does sound like a vet visit is necessary.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5206 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (43796 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11051 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (20597 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18011 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8439 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9420 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14364 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5279 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (11280 views)