Abscess on paw.

Breed: hound, lab, pitt
has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood came out yesterday still very swollen and leaking {spilt open in my hand about 1/8 cup of nasty bloody puss in my palm} now the other paw is a little swollen and has a spilt between the middle toes only a little leakage. will eat a little but not drinking he limps outside to go releive himself mostly he sleeps I was soaking the first paw in epsom salt and warm water twice a day. The vet said he has an encapsulated foxtail in his paw it has gotten infected before popped and healed but never this bad and never both paws. We live on an Indian rez in a rural area I don't have cash for a vet right now and RAVS doesn't come for a couple months yet what can I do for him?

Oh no, this is not a good situation.

Unfortunately the only thing that is going to fix this abscess is antibiotic in tablet form.

You are doing the right thing by soaking in epsom salts. This will help somewhat. However, the pus, the lethargy, and the pain are all because there is infection present. The only way to deal with the infection is to get him on an appropriate antibiotic.

You may want to check out this list of organizations that can help with veterinary bills. Perhaps you can get some help to get him to a veterinarian.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but the only solution is to get him on antibiotics. Hopefully he can be seen soon. The longer that you wait, the more serious the infection will get. Right now it is something that can likely be treated with oral antibiotics but as it gets worse he could need surgery, hospitalization and intravenous antibiotics which of course would be an awful lot more expensive.

I really hope he is better soon!

the local feed store sells penacilin for animals can i give him that? He is 88lbs, and is not limping much today.

It is *possible* that this could work. There are two problems I can see with this though:

1. Many infections that we see in dogs these days are becoming resistant to penicillin. I rarely will use penicillin on its own.

2. No vet can legally give you the correct dosing to use without having what is called a client-patient relationship with you. Now, if you have a vet that you have worked with in the past and who has a file on your dog then it is worthwhile to give them a call to see if they are willing to give you the dosage to use. However, in most cases they would not be willing to do this without actually seeing the pet first.

I'm glad to hear that things are improving! It is a good sign that he is not limping!

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7238 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5442 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (26056 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8871 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32282 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5343 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (24333 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (41178 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20232 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6179 views)