Abscess on paw.

Breed: hound, lab, pitt
has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood came out yesterday still very swollen and leaking {spilt open in my hand about 1/8 cup of nasty bloody puss in my palm} now the other paw is a little swollen and has a spilt between the middle toes only a little leakage. will eat a little but not drinking he limps outside to go releive himself mostly he sleeps I was soaking the first paw in epsom salt and warm water twice a day. The vet said he has an encapsulated foxtail in his paw it has gotten infected before popped and healed but never this bad and never both paws. We live on an Indian rez in a rural area I don't have cash for a vet right now and RAVS doesn't come for a couple months yet what can I do for him?

Oh no, this is not a good situation.

Unfortunately the only thing that is going to fix this abscess is antibiotic in tablet form.

You are doing the right thing by soaking in epsom salts. This will help somewhat. However, the pus, the lethargy, and the pain are all because there is infection present. The only way to deal with the infection is to get him on an appropriate antibiotic.

You may want to check out this list of organizations that can help with veterinary bills. Perhaps you can get some help to get him to a veterinarian.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but the only solution is to get him on antibiotics. Hopefully he can be seen soon. The longer that you wait, the more serious the infection will get. Right now it is something that can likely be treated with oral antibiotics but as it gets worse he could need surgery, hospitalization and intravenous antibiotics which of course would be an awful lot more expensive.

I really hope he is better soon!

the local feed store sells penacilin for animals can i give him that? He is 88lbs, and is not limping much today.

It is *possible* that this could work. There are two problems I can see with this though:

1. Many infections that we see in dogs these days are becoming resistant to penicillin. I rarely will use penicillin on its own.

2. No vet can legally give you the correct dosing to use without having what is called a client-patient relationship with you. Now, if you have a vet that you have worked with in the past and who has a file on your dog then it is worthwhile to give them a call to see if they are willing to give you the dosage to use. However, in most cases they would not be willing to do this without actually seeing the pet first.

I'm glad to hear that things are improving! It is a good sign that he is not limping!

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (15089 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15555 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (7238 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (10711 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (52582 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10111 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9557 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (18236 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (16339 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (17242 views)