Are bully sticks safe?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a penis. But other than that, is it a safe thing for him to eat? I don't want to give him anything that is harmful.

Thanks for an excellent question Darlene. I know that dogs absolutely love bully sticks. I am a little torn on how to answer you because on one hand I think they are a good treat that dogs love. But, on the other hand there are some potential risks that go along with feeding them.

There are several things that could be risky about bully sticks. The first is that dogs can break their teeth on them. They are hard, and similar to bones, a dog can easily get something called a slab fracture from chewing on a bully stick. With that being said, it's not something that happens often.

Next, any time we feed our dogs a product made from dried animal parts (i.e. pig ears, rawhides, bully sticks) there is a risk for salmonella contamination. But again, that risk is small. I can't say I have ever heard of a case where an animal got Salmonella poisoning from eating a bully stick. (I have heard of and seen cases where pig ears caused salmonella problems.)

Thirdly, as the dog chews on these they can get soft. These soft sticks can very easily cause an obstruction. I haven't personally treated an animal for an obstruction because of a bully stick but I have treated some serious rawhide obstructions (and rawhides are not that much different than bully sticks.)

So, it's a tough call. It's hard to find a good treat that will keep a dog occupied and taste good and be totally safe. I recommend synthetic toys like gumma bones and nylabones. But, I'll be honest, when I had a dog I would occasionally buy him a bully stick as a treat. I remember when one went missing and I found it a week later under my pillow. :)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12003 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20528 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (36863 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22097 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (32757 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6477 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5832 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (47749 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13374 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18128 views)