Are bully sticks safe?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a penis. But other than that, is it a safe thing for him to eat? I don't want to give him anything that is harmful.

Thanks for an excellent question Darlene. I know that dogs absolutely love bully sticks. I am a little torn on how to answer you because on one hand I think they are a good treat that dogs love. But, on the other hand there are some potential risks that go along with feeding them.

There are several things that could be risky about bully sticks. The first is that dogs can break their teeth on them. They are hard, and similar to bones, a dog can easily get something called a slab fracture from chewing on a bully stick. With that being said, it's not something that happens often.

Next, any time we feed our dogs a product made from dried animal parts (i.e. pig ears, rawhides, bully sticks) there is a risk for salmonella contamination. But again, that risk is small. I can't say I have ever heard of a case where an animal got Salmonella poisoning from eating a bully stick. (I have heard of and seen cases where pig ears caused salmonella problems.)

Thirdly, as the dog chews on these they can get soft. These soft sticks can very easily cause an obstruction. I haven't personally treated an animal for an obstruction because of a bully stick but I have treated some serious rawhide obstructions (and rawhides are not that much different than bully sticks.)

So, it's a tough call. It's hard to find a good treat that will keep a dog occupied and taste good and be totally safe. I recommend synthetic toys like gumma bones and nylabones. But, I'll be honest, when I had a dog I would occasionally buy him a bully stick as a treat. I remember when one went missing and I found it a week later under my pillow. :)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4574 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5310 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (40388 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8439 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28021 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14409 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (8278 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27152 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (24554 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (5083 views)