Are bully sticks safe?

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a penis. But other than that, is it a safe thing for him to eat? I don't want to give him anything that is harmful.

Thanks for an excellent question Darlene. I know that dogs absolutely love bully sticks. I am a little torn on how to answer you because on one hand I think they are a good treat that dogs love. But, on the other hand there are some potential risks that go along with feeding them.

There are several things that could be risky about bully sticks. The first is that dogs can break their teeth on them. They are hard, and similar to bones, a dog can easily get something called a slab fracture from chewing on a bully stick. With that being said, it's not something that happens often.

Next, any time we feed our dogs a product made from dried animal parts (i.e. pig ears, rawhides, bully sticks) there is a risk for salmonella contamination. But again, that risk is small. I can't say I have ever heard of a case where an animal got Salmonella poisoning from eating a bully stick. (I have heard of and seen cases where pig ears caused salmonella problems.)

Thirdly, as the dog chews on these they can get soft. These soft sticks can very easily cause an obstruction. I haven't personally treated an animal for an obstruction because of a bully stick but I have treated some serious rawhide obstructions (and rawhides are not that much different than bully sticks.)

So, it's a tough call. It's hard to find a good treat that will keep a dog occupied and taste good and be totally safe. I recommend synthetic toys like gumma bones and nylabones. But, I'll be honest, when I had a dog I would occasionally buy him a bully stick as a treat. I remember when one went missing and I found it a week later under my pillow. :)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (50162 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8190 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (7849 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4907 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20518 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8530 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11192 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22545 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (8733 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (6950 views)