Dog has smelly ears.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come close to his ears it becomes strong i just wanted to know if it is anything to worry about

thankyou for all your time

from rachel

Smelly ears are usually an indication of some type of infection. If I had to guess, I would think this would be a yeast infection.

There is no at home treatment for ear infections that works. I would definitely recommend having your vet take a look. They may do a test called a cytology where they put a swab in the ears and then look under the microscope to determine:

-is there an infection?
-is it yeast or bacteria or a combination of both?
-what medication needs to be used?
-how long do the ears need to be treated for?

Hope everything works out ok!

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40697 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (20895 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8886 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7826 views)

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (7978 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (30343 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (65719 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (12798 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (9029 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8691 views)