Dog has smelly ears.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come close to his ears it becomes strong i just wanted to know if it is anything to worry about

thankyou for all your time

from rachel

Smelly ears are usually an indication of some type of infection. If I had to guess, I would think this would be a yeast infection.

There is no at home treatment for ear infections that works. I would definitely recommend having your vet take a look. They may do a test called a cytology where they put a swab in the ears and then look under the microscope to determine:

-is there an infection?
-is it yeast or bacteria or a combination of both?
-what medication needs to be used?
-how long do the ears need to be treated for?

Hope everything works out ok!

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (23674 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10760 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (17353 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15895 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7581 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (48800 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10754 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7927 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (49690 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17853 views)