Chihuahua fell from couch.

Breed: Chihuahua
Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about 5 pounds. I have recently adopted her, so can't be positive on her medical history, although there are "no known" medical issues.

I went to go pick up breakfast this morning, and my fiance stayed home. I came home and laid down next to her in bed, just like always, and she started flipping violently back and forth. I thought she was just happy to see me, and running around like always, but she was unresponsive, and I noticed was in distress. I freaked out and called my fiance in her, and he held her until she calmed down.

It is now twelve hours later, and she won't walk, and has developed a horizontal nystagmus in both eyes. When she does try to pick up her head, it is very wobbly.

Now my first thought was a seizure, but her desire to remain on the ground with nystagmus and a wobbly head makes me think of a vestibular issue. However, the onset was very very sudden, violent, and not at all gradual.

Before I got home, my fiance said she got up, jumped off the couch, and kinda fell on her face. Then she curled up in bed, and that's when I came in, right before her violent flipping.

I decided to watch her and comfort her...she has had a bite of kibble, and some water, drip-fed to her by hand. But that's all.

If she is not better in the morning, I am rushing her to the vet.

I would like your opinion on what this could be...and if I should rush her NOW.

I am very scared...terrified...

Thank you for your help,
-A very scared mommy.

Oh dear. This sounds very traumatic for you and your family.

The nystagmus has me very concerned. There are a few possible reasons for nystagmus. It generally means that there is damage either in the inner ear or in the brain.

It is definitely possible that the fall from the couch has caused some brain damage. You would expect to see problems immediately after the fall, but it's possible that there is brain swelling and this caused the nystagmus and also the symptoms that sound like a seizure such as the violent flipping.

Chihuahuas will often have something called an open fontanelle which is a soft spot on the head. Dogs that have this are more prone to brain injuries.

I think brain trauma is much more likely than an ear infection. This is definitely a case where I would recommend an emergency visit tonight. I know it is an added cost but it could actually mean the difference between life and death. If the vet feels that there is brain swelling then they can administer medication to stop the swelling. Waiting till tomorrow morning could be a very bad move.

It certainly is possible that any swelling would go down on its own but that's a big gamble to take.

I really hope that everything is ok! Please keep me updated.

Thank you very much. On my way to vet now.

Thank you so much for your advise. I took her to the emergency vet and they will observe her for at least 24 hours. They won't really know much until they have observed her for a while, but they assume a concussion and brain swelling. I am so thankful for your website!! Bless you!

I'm so glad you were able to have her seen. Praying that all is well!

Thank you!

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (39222 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (16892 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (28530 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (14480 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (23105 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (12765 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (6523 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (12139 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (20184 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (13796 views)