Dog ate staples

Breed: cocker spaniel
My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting completely normal but I wonder what symptoms I may need to look for if a staple has caught itself on an intenstine or other organ. Can I feed her some chicken and rice mixed w/her food to encourage her to eat? She's not a big eater and is a little spoiled with having something mixed w/her food before chowing down.

It always amazes me what pets will eat! Why on earth would an animal want to eat staples!!!

It is extremely unlikely that your dog will have any serious issues because of this. They should pass in the stool within 12-48 hours.

It's not a bad idea to feed her a bran muffin or some canned food sprinkled with 1/4 tsp bran to help bulk up her stools.

I really can't see a staple penetrating through the intestines. However if they haven't come out in 2 days or if you are seeing any blood in the stool, black stool, vomiting, or lethargy then it would be good to have your vet take some xrays.

Hope everything comes out well!

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (26130 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17404 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (11187 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (6079 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19362 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (7249 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5748 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (44132 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (10169 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (17007 views)