Dog ate staples

Breed: cocker spaniel
My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting completely normal but I wonder what symptoms I may need to look for if a staple has caught itself on an intenstine or other organ. Can I feed her some chicken and rice mixed w/her food to encourage her to eat? She's not a big eater and is a little spoiled with having something mixed w/her food before chowing down.

It always amazes me what pets will eat! Why on earth would an animal want to eat staples!!!

It is extremely unlikely that your dog will have any serious issues because of this. They should pass in the stool within 12-48 hours.

It's not a bad idea to feed her a bran muffin or some canned food sprinkled with 1/4 tsp bran to help bulk up her stools.

I really can't see a staple penetrating through the intestines. However if they haven't come out in 2 days or if you are seeing any blood in the stool, black stool, vomiting, or lethargy then it would be good to have your vet take some xrays.

Hope everything comes out well!

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (17979 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17106 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6348 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (44886 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (27514 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (13602 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14044 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (6966 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (4032 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (5664 views)