Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate staples

Species: Dog
Breed: cocker spaniel
Age: 2-5 years
My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting completely normal but I wonder what symptoms I may need to look for if a staple has caught itself on an intenstine or other organ. Can I feed her some chicken and rice mixed w/her food to encourage her to eat? She's not a big eater and is a little spoiled with having something mixed w/her food before chowing down.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It always amazes me what pets will eat! Why on earth would an animal want to eat staples!!!

It is extremely unlikely that your dog will have any serious issues because of this. They should pass in the stool within 12-48 hours.

It's not a bad idea to feed her a bran muffin or some canned food sprinkled with 1/4 tsp bran to help bulk up her stools.

I really can't see a staple penetrating through the intestines. However if they haven't come out in 2 days or if you are seeing any blood in the stool, black stool, vomiting, or lethargy then it would be good to have your vet take some xrays.

Hope everything comes out well!

Dr. Marie


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5259 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7940 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16634 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (14794 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27117 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (20149 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (8089 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (9471 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (63290 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (241185 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.