Dog ate staples

Breed: cocker spaniel
My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting completely normal but I wonder what symptoms I may need to look for if a staple has caught itself on an intenstine or other organ. Can I feed her some chicken and rice mixed w/her food to encourage her to eat? She's not a big eater and is a little spoiled with having something mixed w/her food before chowing down.

It always amazes me what pets will eat! Why on earth would an animal want to eat staples!!!

It is extremely unlikely that your dog will have any serious issues because of this. They should pass in the stool within 12-48 hours.

It's not a bad idea to feed her a bran muffin or some canned food sprinkled with 1/4 tsp bran to help bulk up her stools.

I really can't see a staple penetrating through the intestines. However if they haven't come out in 2 days or if you are seeing any blood in the stool, black stool, vomiting, or lethargy then it would be good to have your vet take some xrays.

Hope everything comes out well!

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (9386 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (9476 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (18876 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (18608 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (28342 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19943 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (22077 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8759 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (6194 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11559 views)