Cat with bone cancer.

Breed: Stray -short haired
When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front left leg. Took to vet...he said cat has bone cancer in leg and it is broken in two places. Ulna should heal, but long bone doubtful. He recommended soft splint and just see how long cat lasts. Did not think amputation would be good since cancer might have spread and front leg amputation is hard on cat. No other tests were run. I have been reading on the internet however that bone cancer rarely spreads much in cats if it is in the legs and that most cats do fine on three legs, even if one of the amputated limbs is a front leg. Cat is eating well and seems quite active (somewhat "sad" acting though) despite the splint. He has lost some weight in the last year but is also older. Any thoughts on amputation? It is just not right at all and I should let him go until quality of life is bad, or should I look into it more thoroughly?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME and THOUGHTS!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Toesy has bone cancer.

I have researched bone cancer in cats for you and have found some statistics that may be useful.

In dogs with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) there is a relatively high chance of metastasis (spread) to the lungs. However, this chance is greatly reduced in cats.

One study showed that the average survival time of cats diagnosed with osteosarcoma was 6 months. However, in cats that had amputation the average survival time was 11.8 months.

I have found that most cats do extremely well with amputation. I have rarely had a client regret doing it. There is a period of a few days to possibly a couple of weeks where there is some discomfort while the wound heals, but most cats do well with this.

What we have to decide though is whether it is worth doing the surgery if the average survival time after surgery is 6 months more than without. This will be a tough decision.

I hope I have helped with your decision making. And again, I'm sorry that you and Toesy are going through this.

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (7730 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (10096 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (23070 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (105509 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (14109 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (20788 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8267 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (53599 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (8535 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (41368 views)