Cat with bone cancer.

Breed: Stray -short haired
When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front left leg. Took to vet...he said cat has bone cancer in leg and it is broken in two places. Ulna should heal, but long bone doubtful. He recommended soft splint and just see how long cat lasts. Did not think amputation would be good since cancer might have spread and front leg amputation is hard on cat. No other tests were run. I have been reading on the internet however that bone cancer rarely spreads much in cats if it is in the legs and that most cats do fine on three legs, even if one of the amputated limbs is a front leg. Cat is eating well and seems quite active (somewhat "sad" acting though) despite the splint. He has lost some weight in the last year but is also older. Any thoughts on amputation? It is just not right at all and I should let him go until quality of life is bad, or should I look into it more thoroughly?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME and THOUGHTS!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Toesy has bone cancer.

I have researched bone cancer in cats for you and have found some statistics that may be useful.

In dogs with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) there is a relatively high chance of metastasis (spread) to the lungs. However, this chance is greatly reduced in cats.

One study showed that the average survival time of cats diagnosed with osteosarcoma was 6 months. However, in cats that had amputation the average survival time was 11.8 months.

I have found that most cats do extremely well with amputation. I have rarely had a client regret doing it. There is a period of a few days to possibly a couple of weeks where there is some discomfort while the wound heals, but most cats do well with this.

What we have to decide though is whether it is worth doing the surgery if the average survival time after surgery is 6 months more than without. This will be a tough decision.

I hope I have helped with your decision making. And again, I'm sorry that you and Toesy are going through this.

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7729 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14101 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5211 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12490 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7688 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7862 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (135422 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6687 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9172 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23397 views)