Cat with bone cancer.

Breed: Stray -short haired
When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front left leg. Took to vet...he said cat has bone cancer in leg and it is broken in two places. Ulna should heal, but long bone doubtful. He recommended soft splint and just see how long cat lasts. Did not think amputation would be good since cancer might have spread and front leg amputation is hard on cat. No other tests were run. I have been reading on the internet however that bone cancer rarely spreads much in cats if it is in the legs and that most cats do fine on three legs, even if one of the amputated limbs is a front leg. Cat is eating well and seems quite active (somewhat "sad" acting though) despite the splint. He has lost some weight in the last year but is also older. Any thoughts on amputation? It is just not right at all and I should let him go until quality of life is bad, or should I look into it more thoroughly?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME and THOUGHTS!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Toesy has bone cancer.

I have researched bone cancer in cats for you and have found some statistics that may be useful.

In dogs with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) there is a relatively high chance of metastasis (spread) to the lungs. However, this chance is greatly reduced in cats.

One study showed that the average survival time of cats diagnosed with osteosarcoma was 6 months. However, in cats that had amputation the average survival time was 11.8 months.

I have found that most cats do extremely well with amputation. I have rarely had a client regret doing it. There is a period of a few days to possibly a couple of weeks where there is some discomfort while the wound heals, but most cats do well with this.

What we have to decide though is whether it is worth doing the surgery if the average survival time after surgery is 6 months more than without. This will be a tough decision.

I hope I have helped with your decision making. And again, I'm sorry that you and Toesy are going through this.

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10483 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7074 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10202 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (20473 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6797 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18371 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (15493 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6928 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16079 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10568 views)