Cat with bone cancer.

Breed: Stray -short haired
When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front left leg. Took to vet...he said cat has bone cancer in leg and it is broken in two places. Ulna should heal, but long bone doubtful. He recommended soft splint and just see how long cat lasts. Did not think amputation would be good since cancer might have spread and front leg amputation is hard on cat. No other tests were run. I have been reading on the internet however that bone cancer rarely spreads much in cats if it is in the legs and that most cats do fine on three legs, even if one of the amputated limbs is a front leg. Cat is eating well and seems quite active (somewhat "sad" acting though) despite the splint. He has lost some weight in the last year but is also older. Any thoughts on amputation? It is just not right at all and I should let him go until quality of life is bad, or should I look into it more thoroughly?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME and THOUGHTS!!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Toesy has bone cancer.

I have researched bone cancer in cats for you and have found some statistics that may be useful.

In dogs with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) there is a relatively high chance of metastasis (spread) to the lungs. However, this chance is greatly reduced in cats.

One study showed that the average survival time of cats diagnosed with osteosarcoma was 6 months. However, in cats that had amputation the average survival time was 11.8 months.

I have found that most cats do extremely well with amputation. I have rarely had a client regret doing it. There is a period of a few days to possibly a couple of weeks where there is some discomfort while the wound heals, but most cats do well with this.

What we have to decide though is whether it is worth doing the surgery if the average survival time after surgery is 6 months more than without. This will be a tough decision.

I hope I have helped with your decision making. And again, I'm sorry that you and Toesy are going through this.

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (3996 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (4999 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (11591 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (11883 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6333 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (8045 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (37193 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (5566 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8278 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (5568 views)