Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi Dr. Marie!

I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At this time, we can not afford a trip to the vet, so I am trying to find whatever info I can on what may be the problem.

She coughs alot and at times pretty sever. Her breathing seems harder than normal and she looks to have lost some weight. When she lays on my lap, I can feel her heart beating really really fast.

Any help you may be able to provide will be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
~Lucy~

There are a number of things that can cause a chihuahua to cough.

When I hear of a 10 year old chihuahua who is coughing I do tend to get concerned about heart disease. Any little dog is prone to heart disease.

When you are able to take her to a vet your vet will have a good listen to her heart to see if there is a murmur or arrhythmia at all. They may also want to take an xray to determine if the heart is enlarged and also if there is fluid in the chest.

When a dog has a heart problem there are two possible things that can cause them to cough. The first, is that the enlarged heart can push up on the trachea and cause irritation which promotes a cough. The second is that the diseased heart causes fluid to build up in the lungs which causes a cough as well.

If this is heart disease there are a number of things that can be done to help. Your vet may prescribe a heart medication such as Vetmedin, Fortekor or Enalapril and may also prescribe a diuretic such as Lasix to relieve the fluid in the chest.

There are other things that can cause a chihuahua to cough, but would be less common in an older dog. These include:

• Kennel cough. This is a virus that usually produces a loud hacking cough that sounds like the dog has something stuck in her throat. The cough usually only lasts for a few days and usually goes away on its own. However, some dogs do get fairly sick and need antibiotics.

• Collapsing Trachea. This is a condition that commonly affects small dogs and causes a honking cough. However, it is usually present from a young age.

• Dental Disease. Chihuahuas are very prone to getting dental problems. If there is severe infection in her mouth then this can cause coughing.

• Cancer. Cancer can be a cause for a cough, but it's not as common as the other things mentioned.

• Fungal Disease. There are fungal infections that can cause a cough but again, this would not be likely for your dog.

I hope she feels better soon. Hopefully you will be able to have a vet visit soon!

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5661 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (63523 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (25456 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (11203 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6247 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8960 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (7947 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13075 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40379 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6932 views)