Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi Dr. Marie!

I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At this time, we can not afford a trip to the vet, so I am trying to find whatever info I can on what may be the problem.

She coughs alot and at times pretty sever. Her breathing seems harder than normal and she looks to have lost some weight. When she lays on my lap, I can feel her heart beating really really fast.

Any help you may be able to provide will be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
~Lucy~

There are a number of things that can cause a chihuahua to cough.

When I hear of a 10 year old chihuahua who is coughing I do tend to get concerned about heart disease. Any little dog is prone to heart disease.

When you are able to take her to a vet your vet will have a good listen to her heart to see if there is a murmur or arrhythmia at all. They may also want to take an xray to determine if the heart is enlarged and also if there is fluid in the chest.

When a dog has a heart problem there are two possible things that can cause them to cough. The first, is that the enlarged heart can push up on the trachea and cause irritation which promotes a cough. The second is that the diseased heart causes fluid to build up in the lungs which causes a cough as well.

If this is heart disease there are a number of things that can be done to help. Your vet may prescribe a heart medication such as Vetmedin, Fortekor or Enalapril and may also prescribe a diuretic such as Lasix to relieve the fluid in the chest.

There are other things that can cause a chihuahua to cough, but would be less common in an older dog. These include:

• Kennel cough. This is a virus that usually produces a loud hacking cough that sounds like the dog has something stuck in her throat. The cough usually only lasts for a few days and usually goes away on its own. However, some dogs do get fairly sick and need antibiotics.

• Collapsing Trachea. This is a condition that commonly affects small dogs and causes a honking cough. However, it is usually present from a young age.

• Dental Disease. Chihuahuas are very prone to getting dental problems. If there is severe infection in her mouth then this can cause coughing.

• Cancer. Cancer can be a cause for a cough, but it's not as common as the other things mentioned.

• Fungal Disease. There are fungal infections that can cause a cough but again, this would not be likely for your dog.

I hope she feels better soon. Hopefully you will be able to have a vet visit soon!

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (20818 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (11357 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (34233 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (4561 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (4570 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5093 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (33639 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (13055 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (14351 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5102 views)