Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing?

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi Dr. Marie!

I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At this time, we can not afford a trip to the vet, so I am trying to find whatever info I can on what may be the problem.

She coughs alot and at times pretty sever. Her breathing seems harder than normal and she looks to have lost some weight. When she lays on my lap, I can feel her heart beating really really fast.

Any help you may be able to provide will be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
~Lucy~

There are a number of things that can cause a chihuahua to cough.

When I hear of a 10 year old chihuahua who is coughing I do tend to get concerned about heart disease. Any little dog is prone to heart disease.

When you are able to take her to a vet your vet will have a good listen to her heart to see if there is a murmur or arrhythmia at all. They may also want to take an xray to determine if the heart is enlarged and also if there is fluid in the chest.

When a dog has a heart problem there are two possible things that can cause them to cough. The first, is that the enlarged heart can push up on the trachea and cause irritation which promotes a cough. The second is that the diseased heart causes fluid to build up in the lungs which causes a cough as well.

If this is heart disease there are a number of things that can be done to help. Your vet may prescribe a heart medication such as Vetmedin, Fortekor or Enalapril and may also prescribe a diuretic such as Lasix to relieve the fluid in the chest.

There are other things that can cause a chihuahua to cough, but would be less common in an older dog. These include:

• Kennel cough. This is a virus that usually produces a loud hacking cough that sounds like the dog has something stuck in her throat. The cough usually only lasts for a few days and usually goes away on its own. However, some dogs do get fairly sick and need antibiotics.

• Collapsing Trachea. This is a condition that commonly affects small dogs and causes a honking cough. However, it is usually present from a young age.

• Dental Disease. Chihuahuas are very prone to getting dental problems. If there is severe infection in her mouth then this can cause coughing.

• Cancer. Cancer can be a cause for a cough, but it's not as common as the other things mentioned.

• Fungal Disease. There are fungal infections that can cause a cough but again, this would not be likely for your dog.

I hope she feels better soon. Hopefully you will be able to have a vet visit soon!

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (10546 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (15911 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (13931 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (10914 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (14699 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (14642 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (12768 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (45790 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (15522 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (6838 views)