Dog is panting a lot.

Breed: Cicker Spaniel
My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more and more and walks around while doing it aimlessly from room to room. last night was the worst where he walked around panting most of the night. He gets plenty of water.

He has severe arthritis in his back legs where it takes him a bit of time just to sit down. He falls over sometimes when trying to make a step. His appetite is good as he never misses a meal. He sleeps most of the day and most of the evening except last night with the constant walking around and panting.

I am concerned if the panting is indicative of being in constant pain. Any suggestions ideas what this could mean?

I'm sorry to hear that Sam is feeling uncomfortable. There are several possible reasons for an older dog to pant.

Arthritis pain is certainly a possible cause. Is Sam on any medications for arthritis? If not, it would be wonderful to talk to your vet about an arthritis medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramax or Previcox. I've had cases where dogs were almost totally crippled with pain and they became like puppies again with medication. (But it's not always this dramatic.)

Another possibility is something called cushing's disease. Cushing's is a complicated disease that affects a dog's adrenal glands. It causes the dog to be quite thirsty and urinate large amounts. The dog would also be very hungry as well. The symptoms of cushing's disease come on very gradually and it is often hard for owners to recognize it. Panting at night time (or any time) is a symptom as well.

While cushing's disease can be treated, it is difficult and expensive to treat.

Is Sam coughing at all? A heart condition could cause panting but would have coughing as well.

It would be great to talk to your vet about some solutions, especially trying a pain medication to see if that helps!

Sam does not cough but he does urinate alot and is always hungry. It sounds like the cushing's disease. My question is if it is humane to try and treat this disease considering he has arthritis in his rear legs and the removal of the excess cortisol could make the arthritis worse?

Cushing's disease is always a difficult thing to deal with. What you are describing is correct - if he has cushing's and we treat it, then his arthritis could get significantly worse.

If you take the financial aspect out of the situation then I would say to go ahead and test for cushing's and if he has it to treat it. The treatment is not hard on him...and we could also have him on arthritis medicine at the same time. However, the costs are what add up. He would need a number of different repeated tests and these usually run around the $200 mark each time.

If you have insurance on him, or if finances aren't a big issue then I would recommend having your vet test him for cushings.

But, if you decide not to treat him, then here are some factors that I look at when deciding that "enough is enough" and considering if it is time for euthanasia:

1. Is he enjoying life more often than not?
2. Are you enjoying having him?
3. Is he still eating ok?

What I do find though is that in most cases when it comes to quality of life issues my clients just wake up one day and "know" that it is time for euthanasia.

But...before we go there, I'd still recommend the arthritis medications.

Just so you know, I'll be heading offline shortly. If you have more concerns, I'll answer them when I am back online later today.

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8992 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (8385 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (9338 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (16510 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16886 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (18489 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (14137 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (15511 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11269 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8635 views)