Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens.

Breed: Stray Cat
Hello Marie, thanks in advance.
(Sorry for the English we are from Finland) We'found a very young mother cat with 5 kittens, the kittens are 6 week old, they got fleas so we put them flea powder for cats. Now they all have vomits and diarrea for 2 days. What can we do to stop it...is there a medicine in the US that we can buy? And what kind of food would be the most indicated in this case of vomit and diarrea?
Thanks in advance.

Maria

Sorry to hear that your new kittens have diarrhea. My guess is that this is not related to the flea powder but instead, that there is something else going on.

If all of the kittens have vomiting and diarrhea then I am concerned that they may have either a virus or a parasite.

If they are bright, happy and eating well then you could try an over the counter dewormer. You can buy deworming medication at any pet store.

However, if they are vomiting then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on. Kittens do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Because of this I would highly advise that you have a vet take a look at them. They may require some fluids given intravenously or by injection under the skin. This is not something that you can do at home.

The vet can prescribe medication that should help with the diarrhea. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication (other than the dewormer) that can be given to cats for diarrhea.

I wish I had better advice for you. I really am concerned that all of these kittens are sick. There is a high possibility that they could have a serious virus such as panleukopenia that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. Panleukopenia can sometimes be treated with aggressive fluid therapy in the veterinary hospital but it can be fatal as well.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you Marie. The vomits had stoped, and they seem a little bit better, but still with diarrhea. We are taking them to the vet, to see if could be something serious, as they are street kittens they maybe could got something in the street.

Thanks for your time!
Maria

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (52917 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (23366 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (9680 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8767 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9883 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (10693 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (8695 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (7807 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (10206 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (6752 views)