Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens.

Breed: Stray Cat
Hello Marie, thanks in advance.
(Sorry for the English we are from Finland) We'found a very young mother cat with 5 kittens, the kittens are 6 week old, they got fleas so we put them flea powder for cats. Now they all have vomits and diarrea for 2 days. What can we do to stop it...is there a medicine in the US that we can buy? And what kind of food would be the most indicated in this case of vomit and diarrea?
Thanks in advance.

Maria

Sorry to hear that your new kittens have diarrhea. My guess is that this is not related to the flea powder but instead, that there is something else going on.

If all of the kittens have vomiting and diarrhea then I am concerned that they may have either a virus or a parasite.

If they are bright, happy and eating well then you could try an over the counter dewormer. You can buy deworming medication at any pet store.

However, if they are vomiting then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on. Kittens do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Because of this I would highly advise that you have a vet take a look at them. They may require some fluids given intravenously or by injection under the skin. This is not something that you can do at home.

The vet can prescribe medication that should help with the diarrhea. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication (other than the dewormer) that can be given to cats for diarrhea.

I wish I had better advice for you. I really am concerned that all of these kittens are sick. There is a high possibility that they could have a serious virus such as panleukopenia that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. Panleukopenia can sometimes be treated with aggressive fluid therapy in the veterinary hospital but it can be fatal as well.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you Marie. The vomits had stoped, and they seem a little bit better, but still with diarrhea. We are taking them to the vet, to see if could be something serious, as they are street kittens they maybe could got something in the street.

Thanks for your time!
Maria

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (27101 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (11064 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (6453 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (5900 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (23487 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (20334 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7175 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6221 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (5352 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (12189 views)