Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens.

Breed: Stray Cat
Hello Marie, thanks in advance.
(Sorry for the English we are from Finland) We'found a very young mother cat with 5 kittens, the kittens are 6 week old, they got fleas so we put them flea powder for cats. Now they all have vomits and diarrea for 2 days. What can we do to stop it...is there a medicine in the US that we can buy? And what kind of food would be the most indicated in this case of vomit and diarrea?
Thanks in advance.

Maria

Sorry to hear that your new kittens have diarrhea. My guess is that this is not related to the flea powder but instead, that there is something else going on.

If all of the kittens have vomiting and diarrhea then I am concerned that they may have either a virus or a parasite.

If they are bright, happy and eating well then you could try an over the counter dewormer. You can buy deworming medication at any pet store.

However, if they are vomiting then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on. Kittens do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Because of this I would highly advise that you have a vet take a look at them. They may require some fluids given intravenously or by injection under the skin. This is not something that you can do at home.

The vet can prescribe medication that should help with the diarrhea. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication (other than the dewormer) that can be given to cats for diarrhea.

I wish I had better advice for you. I really am concerned that all of these kittens are sick. There is a high possibility that they could have a serious virus such as panleukopenia that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. Panleukopenia can sometimes be treated with aggressive fluid therapy in the veterinary hospital but it can be fatal as well.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you Marie. The vomits had stoped, and they seem a little bit better, but still with diarrhea. We are taking them to the vet, to see if could be something serious, as they are street kittens they maybe could got something in the street.

Thanks for your time!
Maria

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6741 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (10237 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (9183 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (14905 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (50295 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (10653 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (7370 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (9681 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (13127 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (9434 views)