Itchy lump on eyelid.

Breed: German Shepherd mix
I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his eyelid that has, for the last week and a half, been extremely itchy for him as he scratches it frequently and gets us to scratch it for him as much as possible. A vet saw him just before it started getting itchy for some routine shots, and without any sort of indepth examination, told us not to worry about it. Should I be worried about the fact it is itchy for him now?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Most lumps on the eyelid are something called a meibomian gland adenoma. These usually are nothing to worry about.

However, these lumps are not usually itchy. If this lump is itchy then it's possible it is an infected meibomian gland or even some type of foreign material that has penetrated the skin.

Unfortunately if this is irritating you'll likely have to have your dog see the vet again. They may prescribe some antibiotic/steroid cream and if things don't improve they may want to do surgery to remove this lump.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (6526 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (7265 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (3285 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (3118 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (4412 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (9609 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (13606 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (2239 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (14787 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (7865 views)