Rat is not eating.

Breed: rat
my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food and told to make sure she drinks but she isnt drinking or eating and wont take it out a saringe or a bowl. is there a way we can get her to eat/drink without causing her stress and pain?

Sorry to hear that Truffle is not doing well. I usually do get concerned when an animal is not eating and drinking as it usually means that there is something serious going on.

Is truffle on antibiotics for the infection? If not it may be that the infection is causing a fever which is keeping her from eating.

If you can't get fluid into her with a syringe then there is not a lot else that you will be able to do to force it into her.

You may want to call your vet and let them know that she still is not eating. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics and possibly some medication for pain as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (6199 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11676 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (20878 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (36950 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (16748 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (6558 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10488 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (14124 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (12974 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (27871 views)