Rat is not eating.

Breed: rat
my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food and told to make sure she drinks but she isnt drinking or eating and wont take it out a saringe or a bowl. is there a way we can get her to eat/drink without causing her stress and pain?

Sorry to hear that Truffle is not doing well. I usually do get concerned when an animal is not eating and drinking as it usually means that there is something serious going on.

Is truffle on antibiotics for the infection? If not it may be that the infection is causing a fever which is keeping her from eating.

If you can't get fluid into her with a syringe then there is not a lot else that you will be able to do to force it into her.

You may want to call your vet and let them know that she still is not eating. The vet may prescribe some antibiotics and possibly some medication for pain as well.

I really hope everything is ok.

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32454 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (36449 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (25563 views)

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (5963 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (157375 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (8654 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (16756 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (36700 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (21155 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4735 views)