Getting a second dog.

Breed: Keeshond staffie cro
We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got her she did not cope being alone at night (she is still a little scared of the dark). She is 4 and a bit now, we got her when she was 3 (rescue dog). In every other way she is fine, well trained etc. Any of her old bad habits we worked hard to change except she is a bit licky, but we accept that is part of need for re-assurance (part of being an abused rescue dog).

Now this doesn't bother us except that now my wife is pregnant and we'd like to move the dog out of the bed room, preferably to downstairs at night.

I am thinking
1. we need to do it now so she doesn't associate that with the coming of the baby. (along with any other changes).
2. Getting a second dog so that she is not alone at night, ie. "that she is still with her pack".

She does socialise well with other dogs, she is even quite tolerant of young puppies doing young puppy things.
Do you think this a reasonable / good idea ?
If so, would you recommend we look at much younger dog, a similar age dog, or a much older dog ?

My belief is yes, a rescue dog of similar or younger age and of similar or small size. My wife however is not sure.

First of all, thank you for taking a rescue dog. Most rescue dogs are wonderful creatures. But, it does sometimes happen that rescue dogs have some fears. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I do find that most animals seem to adapt well to a new baby in the house, especially dogs.

I think both of your ideas are good ones. I do find that dogs love having another dog to socialize with. Most likely, finding her a buddy will make the transition out of the bedroom much easier for her.

It's tough to know what age or type of dog to get. The most important thing is to get a dog that will not try to dominate Kiba. Look for a dog with a gentle spirit who is not too overbearing. I like your idea of a younger smaller or same size dog and I would add "gentle" to that list as well. It's hard to quantify what "gentle" is, but I think you will know the dog when you see him or her.

Hope all goes well!

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (17979 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (87795 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6147 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7050 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7540 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17917 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7135 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (12881 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (4601 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (7768 views)