Getting a second dog.

Breed: Keeshond staffie cro
We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got her she did not cope being alone at night (she is still a little scared of the dark). She is 4 and a bit now, we got her when she was 3 (rescue dog). In every other way she is fine, well trained etc. Any of her old bad habits we worked hard to change except she is a bit licky, but we accept that is part of need for re-assurance (part of being an abused rescue dog).

Now this doesn't bother us except that now my wife is pregnant and we'd like to move the dog out of the bed room, preferably to downstairs at night.

I am thinking
1. we need to do it now so she doesn't associate that with the coming of the baby. (along with any other changes).
2. Getting a second dog so that she is not alone at night, ie. "that she is still with her pack".

She does socialise well with other dogs, she is even quite tolerant of young puppies doing young puppy things.
Do you think this a reasonable / good idea ?
If so, would you recommend we look at much younger dog, a similar age dog, or a much older dog ?

My belief is yes, a rescue dog of similar or younger age and of similar or small size. My wife however is not sure.

First of all, thank you for taking a rescue dog. Most rescue dogs are wonderful creatures. But, it does sometimes happen that rescue dogs have some fears. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I do find that most animals seem to adapt well to a new baby in the house, especially dogs.

I think both of your ideas are good ones. I do find that dogs love having another dog to socialize with. Most likely, finding her a buddy will make the transition out of the bedroom much easier for her.

It's tough to know what age or type of dog to get. The most important thing is to get a dog that will not try to dominate Kiba. Look for a dog with a gentle spirit who is not too overbearing. I like your idea of a younger smaller or same size dog and I would add "gentle" to that list as well. It's hard to quantify what "gentle" is, but I think you will know the dog when you see him or her.

Hope all goes well!

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (5842 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7372 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (16684 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (34001 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4711 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10894 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10154 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (9964 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (11739 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6589 views)