Getting a second dog.

Breed: Keeshond staffie cro
We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got her she did not cope being alone at night (she is still a little scared of the dark). She is 4 and a bit now, we got her when she was 3 (rescue dog). In every other way she is fine, well trained etc. Any of her old bad habits we worked hard to change except she is a bit licky, but we accept that is part of need for re-assurance (part of being an abused rescue dog).

Now this doesn't bother us except that now my wife is pregnant and we'd like to move the dog out of the bed room, preferably to downstairs at night.

I am thinking
1. we need to do it now so she doesn't associate that with the coming of the baby. (along with any other changes).
2. Getting a second dog so that she is not alone at night, ie. "that she is still with her pack".

She does socialise well with other dogs, she is even quite tolerant of young puppies doing young puppy things.
Do you think this a reasonable / good idea ?
If so, would you recommend we look at much younger dog, a similar age dog, or a much older dog ?

My belief is yes, a rescue dog of similar or younger age and of similar or small size. My wife however is not sure.

First of all, thank you for taking a rescue dog. Most rescue dogs are wonderful creatures. But, it does sometimes happen that rescue dogs have some fears. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I do find that most animals seem to adapt well to a new baby in the house, especially dogs.

I think both of your ideas are good ones. I do find that dogs love having another dog to socialize with. Most likely, finding her a buddy will make the transition out of the bedroom much easier for her.

It's tough to know what age or type of dog to get. The most important thing is to get a dog that will not try to dominate Kiba. Look for a dog with a gentle spirit who is not too overbearing. I like your idea of a younger smaller or same size dog and I would add "gentle" to that list as well. It's hard to quantify what "gentle" is, but I think you will know the dog when you see him or her.

Hope all goes well!

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (8257 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (12980 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (88682 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (7896 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (11097 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (6112 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (5952 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (10452 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (7587 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9233 views)