Getting a second dog.

Breed: Keeshond staffie cro
We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got her she did not cope being alone at night (she is still a little scared of the dark). She is 4 and a bit now, we got her when she was 3 (rescue dog). In every other way she is fine, well trained etc. Any of her old bad habits we worked hard to change except she is a bit licky, but we accept that is part of need for re-assurance (part of being an abused rescue dog).

Now this doesn't bother us except that now my wife is pregnant and we'd like to move the dog out of the bed room, preferably to downstairs at night.

I am thinking
1. we need to do it now so she doesn't associate that with the coming of the baby. (along with any other changes).
2. Getting a second dog so that she is not alone at night, ie. "that she is still with her pack".

She does socialise well with other dogs, she is even quite tolerant of young puppies doing young puppy things.
Do you think this a reasonable / good idea ?
If so, would you recommend we look at much younger dog, a similar age dog, or a much older dog ?

My belief is yes, a rescue dog of similar or younger age and of similar or small size. My wife however is not sure.

First of all, thank you for taking a rescue dog. Most rescue dogs are wonderful creatures. But, it does sometimes happen that rescue dogs have some fears. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I do find that most animals seem to adapt well to a new baby in the house, especially dogs.

I think both of your ideas are good ones. I do find that dogs love having another dog to socialize with. Most likely, finding her a buddy will make the transition out of the bedroom much easier for her.

It's tough to know what age or type of dog to get. The most important thing is to get a dog that will not try to dominate Kiba. Look for a dog with a gentle spirit who is not too overbearing. I like your idea of a younger smaller or same size dog and I would add "gentle" to that list as well. It's hard to quantify what "gentle" is, but I think you will know the dog when you see him or her.

Hope all goes well!

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (9674 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (7463 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (31251 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (61878 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (21231 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (28190 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (21138 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (8567 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (9423 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (9153 views)