Getting a second dog.

Breed: Keeshond staffie cro
We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got her she did not cope being alone at night (she is still a little scared of the dark). She is 4 and a bit now, we got her when she was 3 (rescue dog). In every other way she is fine, well trained etc. Any of her old bad habits we worked hard to change except she is a bit licky, but we accept that is part of need for re-assurance (part of being an abused rescue dog).

Now this doesn't bother us except that now my wife is pregnant and we'd like to move the dog out of the bed room, preferably to downstairs at night.

I am thinking
1. we need to do it now so she doesn't associate that with the coming of the baby. (along with any other changes).
2. Getting a second dog so that she is not alone at night, ie. "that she is still with her pack".

She does socialise well with other dogs, she is even quite tolerant of young puppies doing young puppy things.
Do you think this a reasonable / good idea ?
If so, would you recommend we look at much younger dog, a similar age dog, or a much older dog ?

My belief is yes, a rescue dog of similar or younger age and of similar or small size. My wife however is not sure.

First of all, thank you for taking a rescue dog. Most rescue dogs are wonderful creatures. But, it does sometimes happen that rescue dogs have some fears. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things with her though!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I do find that most animals seem to adapt well to a new baby in the house, especially dogs.

I think both of your ideas are good ones. I do find that dogs love having another dog to socialize with. Most likely, finding her a buddy will make the transition out of the bedroom much easier for her.

It's tough to know what age or type of dog to get. The most important thing is to get a dog that will not try to dominate Kiba. Look for a dog with a gentle spirit who is not too overbearing. I like your idea of a younger smaller or same size dog and I would add "gentle" to that list as well. It's hard to quantify what "gentle" is, but I think you will know the dog when you see him or her.

Hope all goes well!

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (18283 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (42240 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (8275 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (10370 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (27121 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (11769 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (18715 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (8054 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6524 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5792 views)