Rib poking out.

Breed: Maltese x Poodle
I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his end right rib seems to poke out his side almost like it is bent upwards. any ideas on what it may be?

Thanks Georgia

Usually if we see that a rib is poking out it is a normal thing. It is likely something that Shadow was born with. I have had some patients where I really feel that the "pokey out" rib has been there for their whole life but the owners did not notice it until now.

There are some tumors that can grow on a rib, but this is extremely unlikely.

If you never noticed this before and are just noticing it now it could be that Shadow has lost some weight and it is more obvious.

If it seems like it is painful or getting larger then I would have your vet take a look and they will likely do some xrays.

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (25334 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23256 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12104 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8322 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (67614 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (16331 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11919 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6595 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14581 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13297 views)