Rib poking out.

Breed: Maltese x Poodle
I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his end right rib seems to poke out his side almost like it is bent upwards. any ideas on what it may be?

Thanks Georgia

Usually if we see that a rib is poking out it is a normal thing. It is likely something that Shadow was born with. I have had some patients where I really feel that the "pokey out" rib has been there for their whole life but the owners did not notice it until now.

There are some tumors that can grow on a rib, but this is extremely unlikely.

If you never noticed this before and are just noticing it now it could be that Shadow has lost some weight and it is more obvious.

If it seems like it is painful or getting larger then I would have your vet take a look and they will likely do some xrays.

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (11907 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7442 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (16931 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (8719 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (4941 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6400 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6184 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (11332 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (26256 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (133197 views)