Rib poking out.

Breed: Maltese x Poodle
I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his end right rib seems to poke out his side almost like it is bent upwards. any ideas on what it may be?

Thanks Georgia

Usually if we see that a rib is poking out it is a normal thing. It is likely something that Shadow was born with. I have had some patients where I really feel that the "pokey out" rib has been there for their whole life but the owners did not notice it until now.

There are some tumors that can grow on a rib, but this is extremely unlikely.

If you never noticed this before and are just noticing it now it could be that Shadow has lost some weight and it is more obvious.

If it seems like it is painful or getting larger then I would have your vet take a look and they will likely do some xrays.

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12918 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15044 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6904 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15759 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (11047 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6273 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7030 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9811 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13861 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (11646 views)