Scabs on cat's ear and neck.

Breed: Domestic short hair
Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in the tip of the tail and scratching her ears.
I took her to the vet and she had ear mites, ear infection and a fungus. She got an antibiotic shot and i did an antibiotic drops and something else for the ear mites twice a day for 7 days. She also got HexaChlor wipes and Conzol 1% for the fungus in the tip of her tail twice a day for 7 days as well.
Her ears are doing well (ear mites) and the hair in her tail is growing back. I still clean and apply the lotion on her tail once a day as precaution (total of almost 4 weeks.)
Yesterday i noticed some red skin in the outside back of her ears. It appears to be itchy. Even though she is an indoor cat i checked for fleas but cannot see any.
I put a spray of hydrocortisone but not sure if that will help.
Should i use the conzol on this new rash or what should i do? Please help....

Thanks for sending these photos of Foxy. Photos always help me to give a better answer:

sores on a cat's ear

scabs on a cat's neck

These areas look really sore. There are several things that they could be. I am wondering if they could be something called eosinophilic ulcers. We don't know why cats get these. They can be caused by allergies but often the cause is not known. This condition is usually treated by a steroid injection given by the vet.

It is possible that this is something else such as ringworm which is a fungus. This may be what she was being treated for before. Often, cats with ringworm will need oral antifungal medications.

It's also possible that she had some wounds from scratching herself and now they are infected and she may need antibiotics.

The steroid spray may give some temporary relief but unfortunately it does sound like Foxy needs to go back to see the vet again.

A closer exam should give the vet an idea as to what is going on but they may need to do some tests on the area to find out for sure.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thanks for your response.
I forgot to mention that our house is under remodelation.
So not sure if this might an allergy to dust or construction materials.
It seems better today but still i want to make sure it gets cured.
She is not scratching as much today.
Maybe a Neosporin ointment will help?
Thanks again!

Neosporin doesn't really do a whole lot. Plus, it can be a little irritating to the belly if a cat ingests it. If it seems to be getting better then just letting it heal on its own is probably the best thing to do. And if it's not improving then you can have her see the vet again.

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (6141 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27629 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14312 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (11083 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (8236 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11311 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5624 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (14596 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8421 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33780 views)