Scabs on cat's ear and neck.

Breed: Domestic short hair
Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in the tip of the tail and scratching her ears.
I took her to the vet and she had ear mites, ear infection and a fungus. She got an antibiotic shot and i did an antibiotic drops and something else for the ear mites twice a day for 7 days. She also got HexaChlor wipes and Conzol 1% for the fungus in the tip of her tail twice a day for 7 days as well.
Her ears are doing well (ear mites) and the hair in her tail is growing back. I still clean and apply the lotion on her tail once a day as precaution (total of almost 4 weeks.)
Yesterday i noticed some red skin in the outside back of her ears. It appears to be itchy. Even though she is an indoor cat i checked for fleas but cannot see any.
I put a spray of hydrocortisone but not sure if that will help.
Should i use the conzol on this new rash or what should i do? Please help....

Thanks for sending these photos of Foxy. Photos always help me to give a better answer:

sores on a cat's ear

scabs on a cat's neck

These areas look really sore. There are several things that they could be. I am wondering if they could be something called eosinophilic ulcers. We don't know why cats get these. They can be caused by allergies but often the cause is not known. This condition is usually treated by a steroid injection given by the vet.

It is possible that this is something else such as ringworm which is a fungus. This may be what she was being treated for before. Often, cats with ringworm will need oral antifungal medications.

It's also possible that she had some wounds from scratching herself and now they are infected and she may need antibiotics.

The steroid spray may give some temporary relief but unfortunately it does sound like Foxy needs to go back to see the vet again.

A closer exam should give the vet an idea as to what is going on but they may need to do some tests on the area to find out for sure.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thanks for your response.
I forgot to mention that our house is under remodelation.
So not sure if this might an allergy to dust or construction materials.
It seems better today but still i want to make sure it gets cured.
She is not scratching as much today.
Maybe a Neosporin ointment will help?
Thanks again!

Neosporin doesn't really do a whole lot. Plus, it can be a little irritating to the belly if a cat ingests it. If it seems to be getting better then just letting it heal on its own is probably the best thing to do. And if it's not improving then you can have her see the vet again.

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11632 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10223 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21574 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (28198 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8030 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7341 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5344 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (115076 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (10023 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9975 views)