Swollen eye after removal.

Breed: Pug
Hi
My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after it was torn out in an attack. It was swollen immediately post-op as expected but ever since there has been a persistent but painless swelling in the infra-orbital region. We thought it was just scarring or retained soft tissue but it appears enlarged today. It is fluctuate to palpation but the dog does not seem distressed.
I can't think what would cause this so far from the op date. I wondered if perhaps it was a collection of lacrimal secretions or would all that anatomy have been removed during the op?
He is to be neutered this Friday.

Hope you can help

Jennifer

Aw, sorry to hear that Winston had to go through surgery like that.

Most dogs usually do well after surgery to remove an eye. There are cases like Winston's though that can continue to have swelling afterwards.

You are probably right that there is something that is still secreting and it's now happening into the globe. When we remove the eye we usually try to remove all of the secretory ducts but sometimes some can be left in.

Another possibility would be if there was an infection in the globe. You really would think that it would be painful though if this were the case.

At 10 months after surgery, bleeding would not be likely.

Your vet will likely give you some options. Most likely they will want to explore the area again. In other words they'll open it up and have a look. It may be obvious where the fluid is coming from and they can remove that. Sometimes it can be difficult to see though.

Seeing as Winston is having surgery Friday then I think it's a good idea to have the globe explored again. I have heard of cases like this where nothing is done and the dog just has some discharge and swelling but it doesn't seem to be bothersome though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (9648 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (9700 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (75908 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (18935 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (10041 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (8038 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (6892 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (22663 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (18819 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (8450 views)