Swollen eye after removal.

Breed: Pug
Hi
My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after it was torn out in an attack. It was swollen immediately post-op as expected but ever since there has been a persistent but painless swelling in the infra-orbital region. We thought it was just scarring or retained soft tissue but it appears enlarged today. It is fluctuate to palpation but the dog does not seem distressed.
I can't think what would cause this so far from the op date. I wondered if perhaps it was a collection of lacrimal secretions or would all that anatomy have been removed during the op?
He is to be neutered this Friday.

Hope you can help

Jennifer

Aw, sorry to hear that Winston had to go through surgery like that.

Most dogs usually do well after surgery to remove an eye. There are cases like Winston's though that can continue to have swelling afterwards.

You are probably right that there is something that is still secreting and it's now happening into the globe. When we remove the eye we usually try to remove all of the secretory ducts but sometimes some can be left in.

Another possibility would be if there was an infection in the globe. You really would think that it would be painful though if this were the case.

At 10 months after surgery, bleeding would not be likely.

Your vet will likely give you some options. Most likely they will want to explore the area again. In other words they'll open it up and have a look. It may be obvious where the fluid is coming from and they can remove that. Sometimes it can be difficult to see though.

Seeing as Winston is having surgery Friday then I think it's a good idea to have the globe explored again. I have heard of cases like this where nothing is done and the dog just has some discharge and swelling but it doesn't seem to be bothersome though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (10805 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (8788 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11059 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (8702 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (13929 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (14226 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8494 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (10845 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (8462 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (25351 views)