Swollen eye after removal.

Breed: Pug
Hi
My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after it was torn out in an attack. It was swollen immediately post-op as expected but ever since there has been a persistent but painless swelling in the infra-orbital region. We thought it was just scarring or retained soft tissue but it appears enlarged today. It is fluctuate to palpation but the dog does not seem distressed.
I can't think what would cause this so far from the op date. I wondered if perhaps it was a collection of lacrimal secretions or would all that anatomy have been removed during the op?
He is to be neutered this Friday.

Hope you can help

Jennifer

Aw, sorry to hear that Winston had to go through surgery like that.

Most dogs usually do well after surgery to remove an eye. There are cases like Winston's though that can continue to have swelling afterwards.

You are probably right that there is something that is still secreting and it's now happening into the globe. When we remove the eye we usually try to remove all of the secretory ducts but sometimes some can be left in.

Another possibility would be if there was an infection in the globe. You really would think that it would be painful though if this were the case.

At 10 months after surgery, bleeding would not be likely.

Your vet will likely give you some options. Most likely they will want to explore the area again. In other words they'll open it up and have a look. It may be obvious where the fluid is coming from and they can remove that. Sometimes it can be difficult to see though.

Seeing as Winston is having surgery Friday then I think it's a good idea to have the globe explored again. I have heard of cases like this where nothing is done and the dog just has some discharge and swelling but it doesn't seem to be bothersome though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (12988 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (15113 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23968 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (8413 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (22109 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (9519 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (37410 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (54472 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (25616 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (16578 views)