Swollen eye after removal.

Breed: Pug
Hi
My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after it was torn out in an attack. It was swollen immediately post-op as expected but ever since there has been a persistent but painless swelling in the infra-orbital region. We thought it was just scarring or retained soft tissue but it appears enlarged today. It is fluctuate to palpation but the dog does not seem distressed.
I can't think what would cause this so far from the op date. I wondered if perhaps it was a collection of lacrimal secretions or would all that anatomy have been removed during the op?
He is to be neutered this Friday.

Hope you can help

Jennifer

Aw, sorry to hear that Winston had to go through surgery like that.

Most dogs usually do well after surgery to remove an eye. There are cases like Winston's though that can continue to have swelling afterwards.

You are probably right that there is something that is still secreting and it's now happening into the globe. When we remove the eye we usually try to remove all of the secretory ducts but sometimes some can be left in.

Another possibility would be if there was an infection in the globe. You really would think that it would be painful though if this were the case.

At 10 months after surgery, bleeding would not be likely.

Your vet will likely give you some options. Most likely they will want to explore the area again. In other words they'll open it up and have a look. It may be obvious where the fluid is coming from and they can remove that. Sometimes it can be difficult to see though.

Seeing as Winston is having surgery Friday then I think it's a good idea to have the globe explored again. I have heard of cases like this where nothing is done and the dog just has some discharge and swelling but it doesn't seem to be bothersome though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10360 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8665 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21860 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19945 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (12463 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4614 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9496 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (10317 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8758 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21713 views)