Swollen eye after removal.

Breed: Pug
Hi
My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after it was torn out in an attack. It was swollen immediately post-op as expected but ever since there has been a persistent but painless swelling in the infra-orbital region. We thought it was just scarring or retained soft tissue but it appears enlarged today. It is fluctuate to palpation but the dog does not seem distressed.
I can't think what would cause this so far from the op date. I wondered if perhaps it was a collection of lacrimal secretions or would all that anatomy have been removed during the op?
He is to be neutered this Friday.

Hope you can help

Jennifer

Aw, sorry to hear that Winston had to go through surgery like that.

Most dogs usually do well after surgery to remove an eye. There are cases like Winston's though that can continue to have swelling afterwards.

You are probably right that there is something that is still secreting and it's now happening into the globe. When we remove the eye we usually try to remove all of the secretory ducts but sometimes some can be left in.

Another possibility would be if there was an infection in the globe. You really would think that it would be painful though if this were the case.

At 10 months after surgery, bleeding would not be likely.

Your vet will likely give you some options. Most likely they will want to explore the area again. In other words they'll open it up and have a look. It may be obvious where the fluid is coming from and they can remove that. Sometimes it can be difficult to see though.

Seeing as Winston is having surgery Friday then I think it's a good idea to have the globe explored again. I have heard of cases like this where nothing is done and the dog just has some discharge and swelling but it doesn't seem to be bothersome though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (12216 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (11326 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (8581 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (21980 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (36963 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (13704 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (22805 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (7616 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (11769 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (12612 views)