Cat attacking his tail.

Breed: n/a
my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said he had and was alergic to fleas they treated the wounds on his tail had us put the lampshade collar on him and had us start him on frontline plus. they told us to take the shade off at ten days and within a few hours of doing so he went right back after his tail making it bleed all over the place.. do you think it could still be fleas or could it be something else i should look at.??.he also twitches a little in his hind quarters some times.. not sure of his acual age please help.

Sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems. The most common reason for a cat to be irritated near the tail is definitely because of fleas. But this should be better by now if this were the case.

Another thing that can cause this problem is something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this but cats can suddenly become extremely sensitive in the tail region. We treat it with anti-anxiety medications.

Another possibility is if Hunter has some pain in her lower spine. Your vet may want to take some xrays next to see if this is the case.

I hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8158 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4886 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (33620 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24652 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26748 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (98067 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14914 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (10101 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5010 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (88879 views)