Cat attacking his tail.

Breed: n/a
my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said he had and was alergic to fleas they treated the wounds on his tail had us put the lampshade collar on him and had us start him on frontline plus. they told us to take the shade off at ten days and within a few hours of doing so he went right back after his tail making it bleed all over the place.. do you think it could still be fleas or could it be something else i should look at.??.he also twitches a little in his hind quarters some times.. not sure of his acual age please help.

Sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems. The most common reason for a cat to be irritated near the tail is definitely because of fleas. But this should be better by now if this were the case.

Another thing that can cause this problem is something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this but cats can suddenly become extremely sensitive in the tail region. We treat it with anti-anxiety medications.

Another possibility is if Hunter has some pain in her lower spine. Your vet may want to take some xrays next to see if this is the case.

I hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15703 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7630 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12508 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (19533 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9880 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11095 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (14406 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10225 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12359 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23906 views)