Cat attacking his tail.

Breed: n/a
my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said he had and was alergic to fleas they treated the wounds on his tail had us put the lampshade collar on him and had us start him on frontline plus. they told us to take the shade off at ten days and within a few hours of doing so he went right back after his tail making it bleed all over the place.. do you think it could still be fleas or could it be something else i should look at.??.he also twitches a little in his hind quarters some times.. not sure of his acual age please help.

Sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems. The most common reason for a cat to be irritated near the tail is definitely because of fleas. But this should be better by now if this were the case.

Another thing that can cause this problem is something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this but cats can suddenly become extremely sensitive in the tail region. We treat it with anti-anxiety medications.

Another possibility is if Hunter has some pain in her lower spine. Your vet may want to take some xrays next to see if this is the case.

I hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10894 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (23187 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11426 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9779 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10657 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (9392 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (14406 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5489 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (43703 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7487 views)