Cat attacking his tail.

Breed: n/a
my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said he had and was alergic to fleas they treated the wounds on his tail had us put the lampshade collar on him and had us start him on frontline plus. they told us to take the shade off at ten days and within a few hours of doing so he went right back after his tail making it bleed all over the place.. do you think it could still be fleas or could it be something else i should look at.??.he also twitches a little in his hind quarters some times.. not sure of his acual age please help.

Sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems. The most common reason for a cat to be irritated near the tail is definitely because of fleas. But this should be better by now if this were the case.

Another thing that can cause this problem is something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this but cats can suddenly become extremely sensitive in the tail region. We treat it with anti-anxiety medications.

Another possibility is if Hunter has some pain in her lower spine. Your vet may want to take some xrays next to see if this is the case.

I hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11473 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11591 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (27932 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (7967 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (31443 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (162515 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (22978 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9203 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (14919 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20518 views)