Cat attacking his tail.

Breed: n/a
my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and they said he had and was alergic to fleas they treated the wounds on his tail had us put the lampshade collar on him and had us start him on frontline plus. they told us to take the shade off at ten days and within a few hours of doing so he went right back after his tail making it bleed all over the place.. do you think it could still be fleas or could it be something else i should look at.??.he also twitches a little in his hind quarters some times.. not sure of his acual age please help.

Sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems. The most common reason for a cat to be irritated near the tail is definitely because of fleas. But this should be better by now if this were the case.

Another thing that can cause this problem is something called idiopathic hyperesthesia syndrome. We don't know what causes this but cats can suddenly become extremely sensitive in the tail region. We treat it with anti-anxiety medications.

Another possibility is if Hunter has some pain in her lower spine. Your vet may want to take some xrays next to see if this is the case.

I hope Hunter is feeling better soon!

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4426 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (12167 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (7456 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6083 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7085 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7192 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18479 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (7295 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (7834 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (7877 views)