Ivermectin toxicity in a cat.

Breed: common
My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an Ivermectin vaccine. Pungu did well at first but is now ataxic, non-responsive, vomited, loss control of bladder, and difficult to get a response to vigorous rubbing. I need home treatment. The road has been washed out and I am unable to get to the town where the vet lives.

I am sorry to hear that your cat is suffering from ivermectin toxicity. The symptoms certainly sound like this is what is happening.

In my country we don't often administer ivermectin to cats. It's hard to say whether Pungu is being affected because he got too high a dose. We know that some *dogs* can be overly sensitive to ivermectin and so it is possible that this is the case in some cats as well.

Ivermectin can affect the central nervous system. So, when an animal gets ivermectin toxicity we see tremors, seizures and other neurological symptoms. If Pungu is non-responsive this is a very very poor sign. The condition can definitely be fatal.

You are very limited in what you can do at home. In a veterinary hospital we would be administering intravenous fluids and anti-seizure medications. If an animal is going to recover then it can sometimes take several days for this to happen. I have heard of one case where a cat was in a coma in the hospital for 2 weeks before recovering.

Here are some things that you can do to help, but ultimately if there is a way to get him to a veterinary clinic this would be his best chance at survival.

Keep him warm. If you have a thermometer at home, the best way to take his temperature is rectally using some vaseline or KY jelly as a lubricant. Or, if you prefer not to do that you can put the thermometer in his armpit although this is not as accurate. Normal temperature for a cat is between 38-39 C or 100-102 F. To keep Pungu warm you can wrap him in a warm blanket if he will tolerate this, or fill up a large bottle with warm water, cover it with a blanket and place him next to it. Be careful that it is not too hot against his skin.

If he is unresponsive, then turning him over every hour or so will help.

If he regains some consciousness then you can try getting small amounts of water into him using a syringe or turkey baster. It is important for him to stay hydrated. But don't force water into him if he is unconscious.

Unfortunately there really aren't any medications that you can administer that are going to help.

I fear that with the symptoms you have described he may not do well. I pray that I am wrong.

I followed your advice and Pungu was doing much better by late evening. This morning Pungu is back to her playful self - running around and has a good appiete. In the DRC we must do what we can ourselves and hope for the best. I appreciate your service.

Oh, I am thrilled to hear that Pungu is feeling better! Thank you for updating me.

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9915 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (14248 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (52474 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10724 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8165 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17558 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (12042 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10269 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6365 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7936 views)