Ivermectin toxicity in a cat.

Breed: common
My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an Ivermectin vaccine. Pungu did well at first but is now ataxic, non-responsive, vomited, loss control of bladder, and difficult to get a response to vigorous rubbing. I need home treatment. The road has been washed out and I am unable to get to the town where the vet lives.

I am sorry to hear that your cat is suffering from ivermectin toxicity. The symptoms certainly sound like this is what is happening.

In my country we don't often administer ivermectin to cats. It's hard to say whether Pungu is being affected because he got too high a dose. We know that some *dogs* can be overly sensitive to ivermectin and so it is possible that this is the case in some cats as well.

Ivermectin can affect the central nervous system. So, when an animal gets ivermectin toxicity we see tremors, seizures and other neurological symptoms. If Pungu is non-responsive this is a very very poor sign. The condition can definitely be fatal.

You are very limited in what you can do at home. In a veterinary hospital we would be administering intravenous fluids and anti-seizure medications. If an animal is going to recover then it can sometimes take several days for this to happen. I have heard of one case where a cat was in a coma in the hospital for 2 weeks before recovering.

Here are some things that you can do to help, but ultimately if there is a way to get him to a veterinary clinic this would be his best chance at survival.

Keep him warm. If you have a thermometer at home, the best way to take his temperature is rectally using some vaseline or KY jelly as a lubricant. Or, if you prefer not to do that you can put the thermometer in his armpit although this is not as accurate. Normal temperature for a cat is between 38-39 C or 100-102 F. To keep Pungu warm you can wrap him in a warm blanket if he will tolerate this, or fill up a large bottle with warm water, cover it with a blanket and place him next to it. Be careful that it is not too hot against his skin.

If he is unresponsive, then turning him over every hour or so will help.

If he regains some consciousness then you can try getting small amounts of water into him using a syringe or turkey baster. It is important for him to stay hydrated. But don't force water into him if he is unconscious.

Unfortunately there really aren't any medications that you can administer that are going to help.

I fear that with the symptoms you have described he may not do well. I pray that I am wrong.

I followed your advice and Pungu was doing much better by late evening. This morning Pungu is back to her playful self - running around and has a good appiete. In the DRC we must do what we can ourselves and hope for the best. I appreciate your service.

Oh, I am thrilled to hear that Pungu is feeling better! Thank you for updating me.

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6057 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (83889 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (12512 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (39189 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9282 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (10228 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (24352 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11713 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9662 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (7617 views)