Cat ate A&D cream.

Breed: Siamese
Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there should not be a problem.
Salem seems fine--eating, cleaning, sleeping, not hiding like she does when she is ill.

Today after she ate she threw up her food immediately. She seems fine now. Should I be worried?

Thanks for your question. I have looked up the ingredients in A&D cream. The biggest concern would be the zinc oxide. Zinc oxide *can* be toxic to cats. However, Salem would have to have eaten a large amount in order to see toxic effects.

If a small amount of zinc oxide is eaten, it can cause some minor stomach upset. It's not uncommon to see vomiting after a diaper cream is eaten. But, this vomiting would be expected to happen within 12 hours or so of ingestion. It would be hard to blame vomiting 4 days later on minor gastrointestinal irritation. But it certainly is possible.

If a large amount of zinc oxide is eaten by a cat (or a dog) it can have serious effects such as kidney toxicity and hemolytic anemia which is a condition where blood cells start to be destroyed in the body. If you spoke with poison control and they felt comfortable that there was no problem then it is unlikely that Salem ate enough to have these serious issues. It would be extremely unlikely for a cat to eat enough zinc oxide to cause kidney failure or hemolytic anemia. Also, Salem would be acting much sicker than she is.

Most likely you have nothing to worry about. However, here are some things I would look for to help you decide whether you should have your vet see her:

-If the vomiting continues and gets more frequent.
-If she loses her appetite.
-If your gut just tells you that something is not right.
-If you are noticing a significant increase in thirst and urination as this can be a sign of kidney toxicity.
-If she is extremely lethargic as this can be a sign of anemia.
-If you feel that her gums look very pale (but this can be hard to assess in a cat.)

I would be surprised if there was a serious issue.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you Dr. Marie! I feel much better.

Joya

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (23064 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (12413 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43647 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12368 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10481 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6802 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6790 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (12041 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7448 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7563 views)