Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Cat ate A&D cream.

Species: Cat
Breed: Siamese
Age: 11-15 years
Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there should not be a problem.
Salem seems fine--eating, cleaning, sleeping, not hiding like she does when she is ill.

Today after she ate she threw up her food immediately. She seems fine now. Should I be worried?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question. I have looked up the ingredients in A&D cream. The biggest concern would be the zinc oxide. Zinc oxide *can* be toxic to cats. However, Salem would have to have eaten a large amount in order to see toxic effects.

If a small amount of zinc oxide is eaten, it can cause some minor stomach upset. It's not uncommon to see vomiting after a diaper cream is eaten. But, this vomiting would be expected to happen within 12 hours or so of ingestion. It would be hard to blame vomiting 4 days later on minor gastrointestinal irritation. But it certainly is possible.

If a large amount of zinc oxide is eaten by a cat (or a dog) it can have serious effects such as kidney toxicity and hemolytic anemia which is a condition where blood cells start to be destroyed in the body. If you spoke with poison control and they felt comfortable that there was no problem then it is unlikely that Salem ate enough to have these serious issues. It would be extremely unlikely for a cat to eat enough zinc oxide to cause kidney failure or hemolytic anemia. Also, Salem would be acting much sicker than she is.

Most likely you have nothing to worry about. However, here are some things I would look for to help you decide whether you should have your vet see her:

-If the vomiting continues and gets more frequent.
-If she loses her appetite.
-If your gut just tells you that something is not right.
-If you are noticing a significant increase in thirst and urination as this can be a sign of kidney toxicity.
-If she is extremely lethargic as this can be a sign of anemia.
-If you feel that her gums look very pale (but this can be hard to assess in a cat.)

I would be surprised if there was a serious issue.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you Dr. Marie! I feel much better.

Joya


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9873 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6586 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10421 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10862 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23760 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7414 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8516 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12519 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9961 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6827 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.