Cat ate A&D cream.

Breed: Siamese
Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there should not be a problem.
Salem seems fine--eating, cleaning, sleeping, not hiding like she does when she is ill.

Today after she ate she threw up her food immediately. She seems fine now. Should I be worried?

Thanks for your question. I have looked up the ingredients in A&D cream. The biggest concern would be the zinc oxide. Zinc oxide *can* be toxic to cats. However, Salem would have to have eaten a large amount in order to see toxic effects.

If a small amount of zinc oxide is eaten, it can cause some minor stomach upset. It's not uncommon to see vomiting after a diaper cream is eaten. But, this vomiting would be expected to happen within 12 hours or so of ingestion. It would be hard to blame vomiting 4 days later on minor gastrointestinal irritation. But it certainly is possible.

If a large amount of zinc oxide is eaten by a cat (or a dog) it can have serious effects such as kidney toxicity and hemolytic anemia which is a condition where blood cells start to be destroyed in the body. If you spoke with poison control and they felt comfortable that there was no problem then it is unlikely that Salem ate enough to have these serious issues. It would be extremely unlikely for a cat to eat enough zinc oxide to cause kidney failure or hemolytic anemia. Also, Salem would be acting much sicker than she is.

Most likely you have nothing to worry about. However, here are some things I would look for to help you decide whether you should have your vet see her:

-If the vomiting continues and gets more frequent.
-If she loses her appetite.
-If your gut just tells you that something is not right.
-If you are noticing a significant increase in thirst and urination as this can be a sign of kidney toxicity.
-If she is extremely lethargic as this can be a sign of anemia.
-If you feel that her gums look very pale (but this can be hard to assess in a cat.)

I would be surprised if there was a serious issue.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you Dr. Marie! I feel much better.

Joya

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (8126 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (8288 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (15036 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (15350 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (41277 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6125 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (8040 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (29022 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (7544 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8219 views)