Bassett with swollen eyes.

Breed: Basset Hound
I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took him to the vet and they said he had cherry eye. The pictures online are similar to what my dog looks like but he doesn't have the prolapse just a lot of swelling. All that I read says cherry eye doesn't seem to hurt the dog and my dog can't open his mouth without pain and yelping. He's sitting in the closet hiding and has been all day. He seems very uncomfortable. Could it be something else? We were given eye drops while at the vets office. Will this help the cherry eye, or is it inevitable that he will need surgery?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Quinn is not feeling well.

It is unusual for cherry eye to pop up all of a sudden and it definitely shouldn't cause pain to him. I am concerned that there may be something else going on.

Another possibility is an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting which is quite common at this time of the year. An insect sting can cause significant swelling around the eyes (and sometimes mouth and other areas as well.)

In either case it won't hurt to try giving some benadryl to Quinn. Dogs take a relatively high dose of benadryl as compared to people. The dose is approximately 1 mg per pound. So, a 25lb dog would take a full 25mg tablet. A 50lb dog would take 2 tablets. It will take about 20-30 minutes to see a difference. If it is working you may find you need to repeat the dose in 8 hours or so.

There are other things that can cause swollen eyes, but the bee sting seems most likely to me.

There are a couple of conditions that can cause pain on opening the mouth such as something called masticatory myositis or a retrobulbar abscess (an abscess behind the eye.) However, masticatory myositis shouldn't cause swelling around the eyes, and it would be extremely rare (if not impossible) to have an abscess behind each eye.

I would recommend trying the benadryl. Continue to give the drops that your vet gave. If things have not improved by the morning (or if you feel he really is uncomfortable tonight) then another vet visit may be in order.

I really hope things improve soon!

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24669 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4560 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16698 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10596 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10553 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6021 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9385 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7110 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9532 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40809 views)