Bassett with swollen eyes.

Breed: Basset Hound
I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took him to the vet and they said he had cherry eye. The pictures online are similar to what my dog looks like but he doesn't have the prolapse just a lot of swelling. All that I read says cherry eye doesn't seem to hurt the dog and my dog can't open his mouth without pain and yelping. He's sitting in the closet hiding and has been all day. He seems very uncomfortable. Could it be something else? We were given eye drops while at the vets office. Will this help the cherry eye, or is it inevitable that he will need surgery?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Quinn is not feeling well.

It is unusual for cherry eye to pop up all of a sudden and it definitely shouldn't cause pain to him. I am concerned that there may be something else going on.

Another possibility is an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting which is quite common at this time of the year. An insect sting can cause significant swelling around the eyes (and sometimes mouth and other areas as well.)

In either case it won't hurt to try giving some benadryl to Quinn. Dogs take a relatively high dose of benadryl as compared to people. The dose is approximately 1 mg per pound. So, a 25lb dog would take a full 25mg tablet. A 50lb dog would take 2 tablets. It will take about 20-30 minutes to see a difference. If it is working you may find you need to repeat the dose in 8 hours or so.

There are other things that can cause swollen eyes, but the bee sting seems most likely to me.

There are a couple of conditions that can cause pain on opening the mouth such as something called masticatory myositis or a retrobulbar abscess (an abscess behind the eye.) However, masticatory myositis shouldn't cause swelling around the eyes, and it would be extremely rare (if not impossible) to have an abscess behind each eye.

I would recommend trying the benadryl. Continue to give the drops that your vet gave. If things have not improved by the morning (or if you feel he really is uncomfortable tonight) then another vet visit may be in order.

I really hope things improve soon!

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (23001 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (11039 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7930 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (24263 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (21083 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (13518 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7181 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10869 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (5072 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (8321 views)