Bassett with swollen eyes.

Breed: Basset Hound
I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took him to the vet and they said he had cherry eye. The pictures online are similar to what my dog looks like but he doesn't have the prolapse just a lot of swelling. All that I read says cherry eye doesn't seem to hurt the dog and my dog can't open his mouth without pain and yelping. He's sitting in the closet hiding and has been all day. He seems very uncomfortable. Could it be something else? We were given eye drops while at the vets office. Will this help the cherry eye, or is it inevitable that he will need surgery?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Quinn is not feeling well.

It is unusual for cherry eye to pop up all of a sudden and it definitely shouldn't cause pain to him. I am concerned that there may be something else going on.

Another possibility is an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting which is quite common at this time of the year. An insect sting can cause significant swelling around the eyes (and sometimes mouth and other areas as well.)

In either case it won't hurt to try giving some benadryl to Quinn. Dogs take a relatively high dose of benadryl as compared to people. The dose is approximately 1 mg per pound. So, a 25lb dog would take a full 25mg tablet. A 50lb dog would take 2 tablets. It will take about 20-30 minutes to see a difference. If it is working you may find you need to repeat the dose in 8 hours or so.

There are other things that can cause swollen eyes, but the bee sting seems most likely to me.

There are a couple of conditions that can cause pain on opening the mouth such as something called masticatory myositis or a retrobulbar abscess (an abscess behind the eye.) However, masticatory myositis shouldn't cause swelling around the eyes, and it would be extremely rare (if not impossible) to have an abscess behind each eye.

I would recommend trying the benadryl. Continue to give the drops that your vet gave. If things have not improved by the morning (or if you feel he really is uncomfortable tonight) then another vet visit may be in order.

I really hope things improve soon!

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (6715 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5293 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12800 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13304 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5098 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9471 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8756 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31729 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (47441 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5945 views)