Bald spot on maltese.

Breed: Maltese
I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right shoulder. It is warm and feels as if it has fluid inside. All the hair is completely gone in that area and there is a small red circle in the middle about the side of 1/4 inch. What could that be? I haven't noticed him picking at it and this is the first that I have seen it. I will email a picture. Thank you.

Thanks for sending a photo of this area on your Maltese:

bald circle on maltese

This is definitely not a "normal" thing to see on a dog. Unfortunately though I can't say with certainty what it is.

If there really is fluid inside of this then it's possible that it is something called a seroma which is sort of like a large bruised area. However, it's hard to say why a seroma like this would have hair loss.

Usually when there is a large bald spot on a dog it means that the hair has been groomed or pulled off. If the red spot is irritating, it's possible that Pongo has chewed away the fur around it.

Is it at all possible that another dog has nipped at Pongo? I could see this as a possible explanation.

It is also possible that this is an insect or spider bite.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection could possibly look like this but this is not the most likely explanation.

It's hard to advise you on what is best to do at this point. I think if it is not bothersome to Pongo it's ok to keep an eye on it for now. I would measure the size of it and watch to see if it is getting bigger. If so, then I think I would have a vet check it out. Or, if it seems like it is getting bothersome, then I would have it checked sooner.

Thanks so much. I made an appointment for Tuesday, that's the earliest they could give me. I am happy it's doesn't look like anything to terrible. He isn't picking at it at all. When I touch it, it does seem to bother him. The area of hair loss has gotten bigger and he ripping out the hair. I have had him with me all day. But he is acting normal, no vomiting, and he is still eating and drinking normally. I hope it isn't anything bad but there is a red dot in the middle which does make it seem like something bit him. Again thanks so much for your information.

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (20301 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (8736 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (13957 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (18438 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (19635 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (45804 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (23608 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (22944 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (34981 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9924 views)