Bald spot on maltese.

Breed: Maltese
I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right shoulder. It is warm and feels as if it has fluid inside. All the hair is completely gone in that area and there is a small red circle in the middle about the side of 1/4 inch. What could that be? I haven't noticed him picking at it and this is the first that I have seen it. I will email a picture. Thank you.

Thanks for sending a photo of this area on your Maltese:

bald circle on maltese

This is definitely not a "normal" thing to see on a dog. Unfortunately though I can't say with certainty what it is.

If there really is fluid inside of this then it's possible that it is something called a seroma which is sort of like a large bruised area. However, it's hard to say why a seroma like this would have hair loss.

Usually when there is a large bald spot on a dog it means that the hair has been groomed or pulled off. If the red spot is irritating, it's possible that Pongo has chewed away the fur around it.

Is it at all possible that another dog has nipped at Pongo? I could see this as a possible explanation.

It is also possible that this is an insect or spider bite.

Ringworm, which is a fungal infection could possibly look like this but this is not the most likely explanation.

It's hard to advise you on what is best to do at this point. I think if it is not bothersome to Pongo it's ok to keep an eye on it for now. I would measure the size of it and watch to see if it is getting bigger. If so, then I think I would have a vet check it out. Or, if it seems like it is getting bothersome, then I would have it checked sooner.

Thanks so much. I made an appointment for Tuesday, that's the earliest they could give me. I am happy it's doesn't look like anything to terrible. He isn't picking at it at all. When I touch it, it does seem to bother him. The area of hair loss has gotten bigger and he ripping out the hair. I have had him with me all day. But he is acting normal, no vomiting, and he is still eating and drinking normally. I hope it isn't anything bad but there is a red dot in the middle which does make it seem like something bit him. Again thanks so much for your information.

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9974 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (10348 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (58682 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12821 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (49856 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (7922 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (12320 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (20297 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (9521 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (8532 views)