4 year old cat not eating.

Breed: Domestic
My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She also has been vomiting more than usual. It used to be once a month that she would vomit, now it's weekly. She's also pretty lethargic and her voice sounds scratchy and sad when she meows.

I usually feed her blue wilderness (wet) chicken or turkey, as it helps to prevent her dandruff/dry skin and also keeps her weight down. I'm taking her to the vet for her checkup next week, so hopefully they'll figure something out. I'm just really concerned.

I'm sorry to hear that Sheba may not be well. Usually, if a cat loses their appetite it means that there is something significant going on. The problem is that it is often difficult to know what that may be. The list of things that could cause a 4 year old cat to stop eating is very large. It could be a hidden infection somewhere or a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP. It could be that there is a problem with her liver or kidneys. It could be that there is a foreign object in her stomach. It could be that she has some pain somewhere. Or it could be a great number of other things.

Most likely it's not related to the type of food that she is eating, but it is possible that you've gotten a bad bag of food or that it has gone stale. Trying a change in food never hurts.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and most likely will want to do some blood tests.

I wish I could offer you more specific advice, but the best thing I can recommend is what you are already doing and that is to take her to a vet.

I hope everything is ok. Feel free to ask followup questions after you've had your vet visit.

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (15157 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10454 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (39102 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9161 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (92620 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8779 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16870 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (23445 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (67409 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6800 views)