4 year old cat not eating.

Breed: Domestic
My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She also has been vomiting more than usual. It used to be once a month that she would vomit, now it's weekly. She's also pretty lethargic and her voice sounds scratchy and sad when she meows.

I usually feed her blue wilderness (wet) chicken or turkey, as it helps to prevent her dandruff/dry skin and also keeps her weight down. I'm taking her to the vet for her checkup next week, so hopefully they'll figure something out. I'm just really concerned.

I'm sorry to hear that Sheba may not be well. Usually, if a cat loses their appetite it means that there is something significant going on. The problem is that it is often difficult to know what that may be. The list of things that could cause a 4 year old cat to stop eating is very large. It could be a hidden infection somewhere or a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP. It could be that there is a problem with her liver or kidneys. It could be that there is a foreign object in her stomach. It could be that she has some pain somewhere. Or it could be a great number of other things.

Most likely it's not related to the type of food that she is eating, but it is possible that you've gotten a bad bag of food or that it has gone stale. Trying a change in food never hurts.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and most likely will want to do some blood tests.

I wish I could offer you more specific advice, but the best thing I can recommend is what you are already doing and that is to take her to a vet.

I hope everything is ok. Feel free to ask followup questions after you've had your vet visit.

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6809 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5288 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6394 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (18991 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8049 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (10100 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6841 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9161 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4663 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16079 views)