4 year old cat not eating.

Breed: Domestic
My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She also has been vomiting more than usual. It used to be once a month that she would vomit, now it's weekly. She's also pretty lethargic and her voice sounds scratchy and sad when she meows.

I usually feed her blue wilderness (wet) chicken or turkey, as it helps to prevent her dandruff/dry skin and also keeps her weight down. I'm taking her to the vet for her checkup next week, so hopefully they'll figure something out. I'm just really concerned.

I'm sorry to hear that Sheba may not be well. Usually, if a cat loses their appetite it means that there is something significant going on. The problem is that it is often difficult to know what that may be. The list of things that could cause a 4 year old cat to stop eating is very large. It could be a hidden infection somewhere or a virus such as Feline Leukemia, FIV or FIP. It could be that there is a problem with her liver or kidneys. It could be that there is a foreign object in her stomach. It could be that she has some pain somewhere. Or it could be a great number of other things.

Most likely it's not related to the type of food that she is eating, but it is possible that you've gotten a bad bag of food or that it has gone stale. Trying a change in food never hurts.

Your vet will do a good thorough exam and most likely will want to do some blood tests.

I wish I could offer you more specific advice, but the best thing I can recommend is what you are already doing and that is to take her to a vet.

I hope everything is ok. Feel free to ask followup questions after you've had your vet visit.

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (14510 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (11858 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (13854 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (11152 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9995 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (11817 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (197802 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (27114 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (12138 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (25115 views)