Food to dissolve bladder stones.

Breed: mixes chow
We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her bladder. The largest is 3 CM. She has been on Cephalexin for 14 days and now seems back to normal and feeling good.
Four days ago she was to have them removed. She crashed under the anesthesia, had to be revived and surgery was not done. To be so large, the stones must have been in there a long. My question is, as long as she is not in any pain, would it harm her to leave the stones in there, since she is an anesthetic risk? Should we try to dissolve them through diet? If they did disolve to a smaller size, then would there be more chance that they would pass and lodge in the urethra? What kind of diet do you recommend?
Thank you
Joan

Hi Joan and thanks for your question. It sounds like Folkers has been through a lot! I'm sorry to hear that she had such a hard time with the anesthetic, but very happy to hear that she is still with us!

It sounds like the stones that she has are struvite stones. These are the type that can sometimes be reduced by diet. I would definitely give this a try. However, because of the size of the stones it may take a long time (i.e. a year or more) for the stones to totally shrink down.

The best diet for shrinking struvite stones is Hill's s/d. However, this is not meant to be a long term diet. So, if this were my case I would likely put her on a diet called s/o. Depending on where you live in the world the manufacturer is either called Royal Canin, Medi-Cal, Waltham's or VMD. (They are all the same company but have different names in different places.)

While the chance of a stone getting stuck in the urethra is possible it is extremely unlikely. We have more concern in a male dog because their urethra is smaller and longer. In my 10 year career (plus 12 years of veterinary clinic experience before that) I have seen one female dog with a blocked urethra and many males. And, realistically, any of the stones that are currently in the bladder could migrate into the urethra even now. So, I wouldn't let the possibility of blockage stop you from putting her on special food.

The other thing I would be doing if this were my case is repeated urine tests (urinalysis and possibly urine culture) every 2-3 months to make sure she does not have infection. Dogs with bladder stones will have inflammation in the bladder and are more prone to infections.

She likely does not have pain when the stones are in the bladder, UNLESS there is infection present. This is why she is feeling so much better after the course of the Cephalexin.

I hope that helps! I hope she does ok!

Have a great day!

Thank you Dr. Marie. Your suggestions are very helpful!
Joan Folkers

You're very welcome!

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (10058 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (9819 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (5882 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (10298 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (9322 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (11323 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (4229 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (5952 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (3938 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (15636 views)