Food to dissolve bladder stones.

Breed: mixes chow
We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her bladder. The largest is 3 CM. She has been on Cephalexin for 14 days and now seems back to normal and feeling good.
Four days ago she was to have them removed. She crashed under the anesthesia, had to be revived and surgery was not done. To be so large, the stones must have been in there a long. My question is, as long as she is not in any pain, would it harm her to leave the stones in there, since she is an anesthetic risk? Should we try to dissolve them through diet? If they did disolve to a smaller size, then would there be more chance that they would pass and lodge in the urethra? What kind of diet do you recommend?
Thank you
Joan

Hi Joan and thanks for your question. It sounds like Folkers has been through a lot! I'm sorry to hear that she had such a hard time with the anesthetic, but very happy to hear that she is still with us!

It sounds like the stones that she has are struvite stones. These are the type that can sometimes be reduced by diet. I would definitely give this a try. However, because of the size of the stones it may take a long time (i.e. a year or more) for the stones to totally shrink down.

The best diet for shrinking struvite stones is Hill's s/d. However, this is not meant to be a long term diet. So, if this were my case I would likely put her on a diet called s/o. Depending on where you live in the world the manufacturer is either called Royal Canin, Medi-Cal, Waltham's or VMD. (They are all the same company but have different names in different places.)

While the chance of a stone getting stuck in the urethra is possible it is extremely unlikely. We have more concern in a male dog because their urethra is smaller and longer. In my 10 year career (plus 12 years of veterinary clinic experience before that) I have seen one female dog with a blocked urethra and many males. And, realistically, any of the stones that are currently in the bladder could migrate into the urethra even now. So, I wouldn't let the possibility of blockage stop you from putting her on special food.

The other thing I would be doing if this were my case is repeated urine tests (urinalysis and possibly urine culture) every 2-3 months to make sure she does not have infection. Dogs with bladder stones will have inflammation in the bladder and are more prone to infections.

She likely does not have pain when the stones are in the bladder, UNLESS there is infection present. This is why she is feeling so much better after the course of the Cephalexin.

I hope that helps! I hope she does ok!

Have a great day!

Thank you Dr. Marie. Your suggestions are very helpful!
Joan Folkers

You're very welcome!

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (12417 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (19697 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (6209 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (38650 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (6797 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (37676 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (14151 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (9612 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (6151 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (11947 views)