Fishy smell from dog.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but atleast once a week and lasts for about an hour or so. At first we thought it only happened when he got scared, but now we've seen that it happens whenever. Do you know what causes this?

This sounds like a dog who is expressing his own anal glands. These glands sit at either side of the anus and collect with fluid and debris. Some dogs need to have them manually expressed from time to time but some dogs will empty them on their own.

Anal glands are the same things that skunks have that emit the smelly material. So, dogs will often express their glands involuntarily when they are scared.

If it is happening really frequently you may want to have your vet take a look to make sure that the glands are not infected.

Hope this helps!

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8400 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (115076 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6413 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16708 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14550 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10313 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4707 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10032 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14762 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8667 views)