Fishy smell from dog.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but atleast once a week and lasts for about an hour or so. At first we thought it only happened when he got scared, but now we've seen that it happens whenever. Do you know what causes this?

This sounds like a dog who is expressing his own anal glands. These glands sit at either side of the anus and collect with fluid and debris. Some dogs need to have them manually expressed from time to time but some dogs will empty them on their own.

Anal glands are the same things that skunks have that emit the smelly material. So, dogs will often express their glands involuntarily when they are scared.

If it is happening really frequently you may want to have your vet take a look to make sure that the glands are not infected.

Hope this helps!

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15261 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32847 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11073 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (11599 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (25169 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7106 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (12080 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (5015 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (120115 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18350 views)