Fishy smell from dog.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but atleast once a week and lasts for about an hour or so. At first we thought it only happened when he got scared, but now we've seen that it happens whenever. Do you know what causes this?

This sounds like a dog who is expressing his own anal glands. These glands sit at either side of the anus and collect with fluid and debris. Some dogs need to have them manually expressed from time to time but some dogs will empty them on their own.

Anal glands are the same things that skunks have that emit the smelly material. So, dogs will often express their glands involuntarily when they are scared.

If it is happening really frequently you may want to have your vet take a look to make sure that the glands are not infected.

Hope this helps!

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (34675 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (14202 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (19886 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (9122 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (12005 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (8336 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10282 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (33563 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (17236 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (31774 views)