Fishy smell from dog.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but atleast once a week and lasts for about an hour or so. At first we thought it only happened when he got scared, but now we've seen that it happens whenever. Do you know what causes this?

This sounds like a dog who is expressing his own anal glands. These glands sit at either side of the anus and collect with fluid and debris. Some dogs need to have them manually expressed from time to time but some dogs will empty them on their own.

Anal glands are the same things that skunks have that emit the smelly material. So, dogs will often express their glands involuntarily when they are scared.

If it is happening really frequently you may want to have your vet take a look to make sure that the glands are not infected.

Hope this helps!

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (52190 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (24364 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (14068 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15624 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (10775 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13870 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13301 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (31189 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (22738 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15492 views)