Severe arthritis.

Breed: welsh pembroke corgi

My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they occasionally give out)(degenerative discs on x-ray), and also has elbow dysplasia. He's on rimadyl and tramadol. My question is, if it gets bad enough, because of his age I'm thinking he is not a good candidate for surgery, and because of his elbow dysplasia, not a good candidate for a cart (he does face plants sometimes when his elbow gives out). Do you agree, and/or have any suggestions for keeping him as comfortable as possible? Thank you so much! Kisses from Murphys :).

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Murphys is having these problems. It's so hard to see a dog have serious arthritis problems.

I would agree that a cart would not be fair for him if he has pain in his elbows as well.

There are a number of drugs that I use to treat dogs with arthritis. I usually use an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Previcox. Then, if this is not working I will add injections of a joint protectant either called Adequan or Cartrophen.

For really serious cases I will sometimes add a medication called Tramadol or possibly Gabapentin.

I have seen dogs do extremely well with chiropractic adjustments as well. If you do this, be sure you find a veterinary chiropractor and not a human one who also works on dogs. The anatomy is quite different.

I hope this helps and I hope Murphys is feeling better soon.

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16379 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (8330 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5967 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (12822 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (6775 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9949 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (12761 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (27542 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6883 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (6276 views)