Severe arthritis.

Breed: welsh pembroke corgi

My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they occasionally give out)(degenerative discs on x-ray), and also has elbow dysplasia. He's on rimadyl and tramadol. My question is, if it gets bad enough, because of his age I'm thinking he is not a good candidate for surgery, and because of his elbow dysplasia, not a good candidate for a cart (he does face plants sometimes when his elbow gives out). Do you agree, and/or have any suggestions for keeping him as comfortable as possible? Thank you so much! Kisses from Murphys :).

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Murphys is having these problems. It's so hard to see a dog have serious arthritis problems.

I would agree that a cart would not be fair for him if he has pain in his elbows as well.

There are a number of drugs that I use to treat dogs with arthritis. I usually use an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Previcox. Then, if this is not working I will add injections of a joint protectant either called Adequan or Cartrophen.

For really serious cases I will sometimes add a medication called Tramadol or possibly Gabapentin.

I have seen dogs do extremely well with chiropractic adjustments as well. If you do this, be sure you find a veterinary chiropractor and not a human one who also works on dogs. The anatomy is quite different.

I hope this helps and I hope Murphys is feeling better soon.

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15272 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6236 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9804 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (8721 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (21812 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (5155 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7449 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (13072 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8342 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (8195 views)