Severe arthritis.

Breed: welsh pembroke corgi

My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they occasionally give out)(degenerative discs on x-ray), and also has elbow dysplasia. He's on rimadyl and tramadol. My question is, if it gets bad enough, because of his age I'm thinking he is not a good candidate for surgery, and because of his elbow dysplasia, not a good candidate for a cart (he does face plants sometimes when his elbow gives out). Do you agree, and/or have any suggestions for keeping him as comfortable as possible? Thank you so much! Kisses from Murphys :).

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Murphys is having these problems. It's so hard to see a dog have serious arthritis problems.

I would agree that a cart would not be fair for him if he has pain in his elbows as well.

There are a number of drugs that I use to treat dogs with arthritis. I usually use an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Previcox. Then, if this is not working I will add injections of a joint protectant either called Adequan or Cartrophen.

For really serious cases I will sometimes add a medication called Tramadol or possibly Gabapentin.

I have seen dogs do extremely well with chiropractic adjustments as well. If you do this, be sure you find a veterinary chiropractor and not a human one who also works on dogs. The anatomy is quite different.

I hope this helps and I hope Murphys is feeling better soon.

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (18105 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (28426 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (12472 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (21701 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (9189 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (10560 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (34129 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (9045 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (8068 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (59403 views)