Cat vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Siamese
Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. He vomits about 4 times per day but he is still pretty active. Should I be concerned?

Hi Shelly! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

-Is Sam still eating well?
-How long has he been vomiting for?
-Does he go outside?

Sam hasn't eaten for about 3 days now. He is an indoor cat.

OK, thanks for that info.

I do get quite concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat. If cats stop eating there is usually a reason for it.

Now, usually when a cat is off their food they are lethargic. When I see a young cat who is not eating and is vomiting I often worry about a foreign object in his stomach.

Other things that can make a cat vomit include a change in food (but this should only cause very temporary stomach upset), infection (but this should cause lethargy), pancreatitis (again, should be lethargic) and other things.

Some cats do benefit from pepcid. You can go to this site to get info on how much to give:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

However, if there is a stomach obstruction the sooner we get it dealt with the better. I would advise a vet visit today if possible. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some xrays. If this object is still in the stomach then your cat has a much better chance of coming through surgery easily.

I hope he is ok!

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10855 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (6751 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (38072 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10819 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (51076 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (146357 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8093 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (16936 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4699 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10743 views)