Cat vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Siamese
Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. He vomits about 4 times per day but he is still pretty active. Should I be concerned?

Hi Shelly! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

-Is Sam still eating well?
-How long has he been vomiting for?
-Does he go outside?

Sam hasn't eaten for about 3 days now. He is an indoor cat.

OK, thanks for that info.

I do get quite concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat. If cats stop eating there is usually a reason for it.

Now, usually when a cat is off their food they are lethargic. When I see a young cat who is not eating and is vomiting I often worry about a foreign object in his stomach.

Other things that can make a cat vomit include a change in food (but this should only cause very temporary stomach upset), infection (but this should cause lethargy), pancreatitis (again, should be lethargic) and other things.

Some cats do benefit from pepcid. You can go to this site to get info on how much to give:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

However, if there is a stomach obstruction the sooner we get it dealt with the better. I would advise a vet visit today if possible. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some xrays. If this object is still in the stomach then your cat has a much better chance of coming through surgery easily.

I hope he is ok!

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (17629 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (34140 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (27254 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12811 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (32850 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (56009 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (12016 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (16985 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (17921 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (8554 views)