Cat vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Siamese
Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. He vomits about 4 times per day but he is still pretty active. Should I be concerned?

Hi Shelly! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

-Is Sam still eating well?
-How long has he been vomiting for?
-Does he go outside?

Sam hasn't eaten for about 3 days now. He is an indoor cat.

OK, thanks for that info.

I do get quite concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat. If cats stop eating there is usually a reason for it.

Now, usually when a cat is off their food they are lethargic. When I see a young cat who is not eating and is vomiting I often worry about a foreign object in his stomach.

Other things that can make a cat vomit include a change in food (but this should only cause very temporary stomach upset), infection (but this should cause lethargy), pancreatitis (again, should be lethargic) and other things.

Some cats do benefit from pepcid. You can go to this site to get info on how much to give:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

However, if there is a stomach obstruction the sooner we get it dealt with the better. I would advise a vet visit today if possible. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some xrays. If this object is still in the stomach then your cat has a much better chance of coming through surgery easily.

I hope he is ok!

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (16370 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10795 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (13692 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (14834 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6462 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9263 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7090 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4470 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5728 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11799 views)