Cat vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Siamese
Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. He vomits about 4 times per day but he is still pretty active. Should I be concerned?

Hi Shelly! I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

-Is Sam still eating well?
-How long has he been vomiting for?
-Does he go outside?

Sam hasn't eaten for about 3 days now. He is an indoor cat.

OK, thanks for that info.

I do get quite concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat. If cats stop eating there is usually a reason for it.

Now, usually when a cat is off their food they are lethargic. When I see a young cat who is not eating and is vomiting I often worry about a foreign object in his stomach.

Other things that can make a cat vomit include a change in food (but this should only cause very temporary stomach upset), infection (but this should cause lethargy), pancreatitis (again, should be lethargic) and other things.

Some cats do benefit from pepcid. You can go to this site to get info on how much to give:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

However, if there is a stomach obstruction the sooner we get it dealt with the better. I would advise a vet visit today if possible. Your vet will do a good thorough exam and likely some xrays. If this object is still in the stomach then your cat has a much better chance of coming through surgery easily.

I hope he is ok!

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (54763 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (64060 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (17251 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (10701 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (20193 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (18119 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (12901 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (26720 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (22049 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (48569 views)