Time for euthanasia?

Breed: GermanShepherd
I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a wonderful, loyal and compassionate companion for 7 years. He has had DM since October and the symptoms are worsening and he is entering the middle stages of the disease. I've made arrangements for an in-home euthanasia. All I have to do is call. How do I make this decision. I am grief-stricken and there are days when I think I will call tomorrow and then that day comes and he is doing well. Everything about Riker is normal except for his hind quarters. It is sad to watch when he trips, scrapes, knuckles or can't navigate stairs. He eats, barks, goses to the bathroom fine. Sometimes I wish he would make the decision for me and would go in his sleep. Please advise on how I can make this transition into letting my partner go.

It is always difficult to make the decision for euthanasia. I do find that one of the harder diseases to deal with in this respect is degenerative myelopathy. This is because the symptoms progress so slowly that it is hard to finally make that hard decision.

You may find that these questions help you with your decision making process:

Is it time to put her down?

When is it time for euthanasia?

Is it time?

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9121 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (7666 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10372 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19492 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9452 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12237 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (20290 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (15324 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16882 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10279 views)