Time for euthanasia?

Breed: GermanShepherd
I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a wonderful, loyal and compassionate companion for 7 years. He has had DM since October and the symptoms are worsening and he is entering the middle stages of the disease. I've made arrangements for an in-home euthanasia. All I have to do is call. How do I make this decision. I am grief-stricken and there are days when I think I will call tomorrow and then that day comes and he is doing well. Everything about Riker is normal except for his hind quarters. It is sad to watch when he trips, scrapes, knuckles or can't navigate stairs. He eats, barks, goses to the bathroom fine. Sometimes I wish he would make the decision for me and would go in his sleep. Please advise on how I can make this transition into letting my partner go.

It is always difficult to make the decision for euthanasia. I do find that one of the harder diseases to deal with in this respect is degenerative myelopathy. This is because the symptoms progress so slowly that it is hard to finally make that hard decision.

You may find that these questions help you with your decision making process:

Is it time to put her down?

When is it time for euthanasia?

Is it time?

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (31858 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13662 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (45678 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (8733 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16020 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (12952 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (5100 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10431 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15299 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (8938 views)