Time for euthanasia?

Breed: GermanShepherd
I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a wonderful, loyal and compassionate companion for 7 years. He has had DM since October and the symptoms are worsening and he is entering the middle stages of the disease. I've made arrangements for an in-home euthanasia. All I have to do is call. How do I make this decision. I am grief-stricken and there are days when I think I will call tomorrow and then that day comes and he is doing well. Everything about Riker is normal except for his hind quarters. It is sad to watch when he trips, scrapes, knuckles or can't navigate stairs. He eats, barks, goses to the bathroom fine. Sometimes I wish he would make the decision for me and would go in his sleep. Please advise on how I can make this transition into letting my partner go.

It is always difficult to make the decision for euthanasia. I do find that one of the harder diseases to deal with in this respect is degenerative myelopathy. This is because the symptoms progress so slowly that it is hard to finally make that hard decision.

You may find that these questions help you with your decision making process:

Is it time to put her down?

When is it time for euthanasia?

Is it time?

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (23759 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (20239 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35758 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (92919 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (5115 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69924 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7662 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13050 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46121 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14766 views)