Time for euthanasia?

Breed: GermanShepherd
I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a wonderful, loyal and compassionate companion for 7 years. He has had DM since October and the symptoms are worsening and he is entering the middle stages of the disease. I've made arrangements for an in-home euthanasia. All I have to do is call. How do I make this decision. I am grief-stricken and there are days when I think I will call tomorrow and then that day comes and he is doing well. Everything about Riker is normal except for his hind quarters. It is sad to watch when he trips, scrapes, knuckles or can't navigate stairs. He eats, barks, goses to the bathroom fine. Sometimes I wish he would make the decision for me and would go in his sleep. Please advise on how I can make this transition into letting my partner go.

It is always difficult to make the decision for euthanasia. I do find that one of the harder diseases to deal with in this respect is degenerative myelopathy. This is because the symptoms progress so slowly that it is hard to finally make that hard decision.

You may find that these questions help you with your decision making process:

Is it time to put her down?

When is it time for euthanasia?

Is it time?

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4858 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7129 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6142 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9117 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (22643 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5589 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (10027 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11363 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9073 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15232 views)