Time for euthanasia?

Breed: GermanShepherd
I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a wonderful, loyal and compassionate companion for 7 years. He has had DM since October and the symptoms are worsening and he is entering the middle stages of the disease. I've made arrangements for an in-home euthanasia. All I have to do is call. How do I make this decision. I am grief-stricken and there are days when I think I will call tomorrow and then that day comes and he is doing well. Everything about Riker is normal except for his hind quarters. It is sad to watch when he trips, scrapes, knuckles or can't navigate stairs. He eats, barks, goses to the bathroom fine. Sometimes I wish he would make the decision for me and would go in his sleep. Please advise on how I can make this transition into letting my partner go.

It is always difficult to make the decision for euthanasia. I do find that one of the harder diseases to deal with in this respect is degenerative myelopathy. This is because the symptoms progress so slowly that it is hard to finally make that hard decision.

You may find that these questions help you with your decision making process:

Is it time to put her down?

When is it time for euthanasia?

Is it time?

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (29051 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (11973 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (19193 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (24106 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (16770 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (319359 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (12106 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (17802 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (12734 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (39267 views)