Swollen neck on a cat.

Breed: DSH cat
my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho. His neck is really swollen, it started of like it was a swollen gland but it has gotten bigger and is travelling around under his neck, its like soft but alot of pressure is under there. I cant get to the vet till Wednesday. Eating drinking fine, sleeping alot more. got into the fish tank water aswell.

Sorry to hear that Charlie may not be well!

I can't say for certain, without seeing him, but I'm suspicious that this could be an abscess. Is Charlie outside, or around other cats at all? The most common cause for an abscess is to be bitten or scratched by another cat. Often the initial wound can't be found, but under the skin there can be infection.

Unfortunately, if this is an abscess there really is no at home treatment. Once you are able to go to the vet's then they will likely do a very quick poke with a needle or a scalpel blade to get the pus out. (Please don't try this at home!) Then, they will either put him on some oral antibiotics or give him a long lasting injection of antibiotic.

If it is at all possible to get him to the vet's today I would highly advise it. If an abscess goes untreated for too long, the infection can spread and the treatment might be more intensive (i.e. he could need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids, or even have surgery on the area.)

For now, do all you can to make sure he continues to eat. As the abscess gets worse, then this can affect his appetite. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple of days it can cause serious problems with the liver.

I hope he is ok!

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (10730 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (12012 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (20450 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (22755 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (13502 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (25927 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (106588 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (57853 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (15245 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (20602 views)