Swollen neck on a cat.

Breed: DSH cat
my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho. His neck is really swollen, it started of like it was a swollen gland but it has gotten bigger and is travelling around under his neck, its like soft but alot of pressure is under there. I cant get to the vet till Wednesday. Eating drinking fine, sleeping alot more. got into the fish tank water aswell.

Sorry to hear that Charlie may not be well!

I can't say for certain, without seeing him, but I'm suspicious that this could be an abscess. Is Charlie outside, or around other cats at all? The most common cause for an abscess is to be bitten or scratched by another cat. Often the initial wound can't be found, but under the skin there can be infection.

Unfortunately, if this is an abscess there really is no at home treatment. Once you are able to go to the vet's then they will likely do a very quick poke with a needle or a scalpel blade to get the pus out. (Please don't try this at home!) Then, they will either put him on some oral antibiotics or give him a long lasting injection of antibiotic.

If it is at all possible to get him to the vet's today I would highly advise it. If an abscess goes untreated for too long, the infection can spread and the treatment might be more intensive (i.e. he could need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids, or even have surgery on the area.)

For now, do all you can to make sure he continues to eat. As the abscess gets worse, then this can affect his appetite. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple of days it can cause serious problems with the liver.

I hope he is ok!

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7127 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10143 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (58062 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18487 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (28828 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9490 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7421 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (13446 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9393 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (30313 views)