Swollen neck on a cat.

Breed: DSH cat
my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho. His neck is really swollen, it started of like it was a swollen gland but it has gotten bigger and is travelling around under his neck, its like soft but alot of pressure is under there. I cant get to the vet till Wednesday. Eating drinking fine, sleeping alot more. got into the fish tank water aswell.

Sorry to hear that Charlie may not be well!

I can't say for certain, without seeing him, but I'm suspicious that this could be an abscess. Is Charlie outside, or around other cats at all? The most common cause for an abscess is to be bitten or scratched by another cat. Often the initial wound can't be found, but under the skin there can be infection.

Unfortunately, if this is an abscess there really is no at home treatment. Once you are able to go to the vet's then they will likely do a very quick poke with a needle or a scalpel blade to get the pus out. (Please don't try this at home!) Then, they will either put him on some oral antibiotics or give him a long lasting injection of antibiotic.

If it is at all possible to get him to the vet's today I would highly advise it. If an abscess goes untreated for too long, the infection can spread and the treatment might be more intensive (i.e. he could need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids, or even have surgery on the area.)

For now, do all you can to make sure he continues to eat. As the abscess gets worse, then this can affect his appetite. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple of days it can cause serious problems with the liver.

I hope he is ok!

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10318 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (22925 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28071 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9810 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (11077 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (8012 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (14838 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (8718 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (46538 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7502 views)