Are tomatoes bad for cats?

Breed: Ragdoll
Hi,

My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am cautious to let him have one as I have heard they are poisonous for cats. is this true? can my cat had the odd red cherry tomato??

thanks

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Actually the answer is no! I had a similar question in regards to dogs, but the answer is the same for cats: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?.

The leaves of the tomato plant contain tomatine which can be toxic to the heart, but very large amounts would have to be eaten by a cat or a dog in order to cause toxicity. I have never heard of a cat getting ill because of eating tomatoes.

So, if your cat likes to eat tomatoes, then let her have the odd one!

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (10390 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (12199 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (19820 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (37512 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (10496 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (46991 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (10980 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10048 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7118 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (17811 views)