Are tomatoes bad for cats?

Breed: Ragdoll
Hi,

My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am cautious to let him have one as I have heard they are poisonous for cats. is this true? can my cat had the odd red cherry tomato??

thanks

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Actually the answer is no! I had a similar question in regards to dogs, but the answer is the same for cats: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?.

The leaves of the tomato plant contain tomatine which can be toxic to the heart, but very large amounts would have to be eaten by a cat or a dog in order to cause toxicity. I have never heard of a cat getting ill because of eating tomatoes.

So, if your cat likes to eat tomatoes, then let her have the odd one!

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8156 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15481 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6960 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16387 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (22829 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17558 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (25708 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5410 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15767 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26230 views)