Are tomatoes bad for cats?

Breed: Ragdoll
Hi,

My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am cautious to let him have one as I have heard they are poisonous for cats. is this true? can my cat had the odd red cherry tomato??

thanks

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Actually the answer is no! I had a similar question in regards to dogs, but the answer is the same for cats: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?.

The leaves of the tomato plant contain tomatine which can be toxic to the heart, but very large amounts would have to be eaten by a cat or a dog in order to cause toxicity. I have never heard of a cat getting ill because of eating tomatoes.

So, if your cat likes to eat tomatoes, then let her have the odd one!

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6866 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (15351 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (46925 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (56309 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (11175 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (23410 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5906 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7710 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17144 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15556 views)