Are tomatoes bad for cats?

Breed: Ragdoll
Hi,

My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am cautious to let him have one as I have heard they are poisonous for cats. is this true? can my cat had the odd red cherry tomato??

thanks

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Actually the answer is no! I had a similar question in regards to dogs, but the answer is the same for cats: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?.

The leaves of the tomato plant contain tomatine which can be toxic to the heart, but very large amounts would have to be eaten by a cat or a dog in order to cause toxicity. I have never heard of a cat getting ill because of eating tomatoes.

So, if your cat likes to eat tomatoes, then let her have the odd one!

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11978 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20048 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (84850 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4625 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9671 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10832 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (15188 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (24678 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (9189 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11850 views)