Are tomatoes bad for cats?

Breed: Ragdoll
Hi,

My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am cautious to let him have one as I have heard they are poisonous for cats. is this true? can my cat had the odd red cherry tomato??

thanks

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Actually the answer is no! I had a similar question in regards to dogs, but the answer is the same for cats: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?.

The leaves of the tomato plant contain tomatine which can be toxic to the heart, but very large amounts would have to be eaten by a cat or a dog in order to cause toxicity. I have never heard of a cat getting ill because of eating tomatoes.

So, if your cat likes to eat tomatoes, then let her have the odd one!

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8165 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23496 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13340 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30962 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6776 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12294 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (12385 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9597 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (9198 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (12728 views)