Pus filled lump on boxer.

Breed: Boxer

About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's neck.

Upon further inspection, I removed his leather collar(and have kept it off and ordered a new one) and noticed that he had what looked sort of like a pimple. The bump itself is about the diameter of a dime coin, maybe smaller.

I noticed it had some yellowish discharge(pus?)and squeezed what I could out and cleaned it hoping it would dry up and go away.

I also noticed our other boxer(female)would lick at Kimo's "pimple". We try to keep her from doing this anymore.

It's now been a couple of days and I've been cleaning it and squeezing what I can out of it. The area right on top of it is hairless now. Oh, and he's not scratching it and is acting and eating normally.

What do you think?

Hi. I'm so sorry for the delay in replying. My status somehow changed to online when I was not online! Let me know if you would like a refund and I will be happy to do so.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing this lump. There are several things that it could be. My first instinct is that it could be some type of a sebaceous cyst. These are small lumps filled with gooey material. Sometimes the material looks like cottage cheese. They're usually nothing to worry about but it may not go away.

It's also possible that this is some type of an infection. If this is the case you will notice it getting more and more red and irritating. If this happens then Kimo will need to see a vet. Antibiotic creams or ointments won't be enough to fix this if it is an infection.

Boxers can be prone to a number of types of skin cancers. For this reason, if the lump has not decreased in size in another few days or so it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look. From what you have described, cancer seems unlikely, but I still think it's worthwhile to have it checked.

Hopefully things have cleared up by now!

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (11505 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (22064 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (33046 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (273529 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (9162 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (5363 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (10418 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (13016 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15951 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (32272 views)