Pus filled lump on boxer.

Breed: Boxer

About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's neck.

Upon further inspection, I removed his leather collar(and have kept it off and ordered a new one) and noticed that he had what looked sort of like a pimple. The bump itself is about the diameter of a dime coin, maybe smaller.

I noticed it had some yellowish discharge(pus?)and squeezed what I could out and cleaned it hoping it would dry up and go away.

I also noticed our other boxer(female)would lick at Kimo's "pimple". We try to keep her from doing this anymore.

It's now been a couple of days and I've been cleaning it and squeezing what I can out of it. The area right on top of it is hairless now. Oh, and he's not scratching it and is acting and eating normally.

What do you think?

Hi. I'm so sorry for the delay in replying. My status somehow changed to online when I was not online! Let me know if you would like a refund and I will be happy to do so.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing this lump. There are several things that it could be. My first instinct is that it could be some type of a sebaceous cyst. These are small lumps filled with gooey material. Sometimes the material looks like cottage cheese. They're usually nothing to worry about but it may not go away.

It's also possible that this is some type of an infection. If this is the case you will notice it getting more and more red and irritating. If this happens then Kimo will need to see a vet. Antibiotic creams or ointments won't be enough to fix this if it is an infection.

Boxers can be prone to a number of types of skin cancers. For this reason, if the lump has not decreased in size in another few days or so it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look. From what you have described, cancer seems unlikely, but I still think it's worthwhile to have it checked.

Hopefully things have cleared up by now!

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (65656 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (7114 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (9481 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (10443 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (11610 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (240025 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (58890 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (9092 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (16357 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (8689 views)