Pus filled lump on boxer.

Breed: Boxer

About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's neck.

Upon further inspection, I removed his leather collar(and have kept it off and ordered a new one) and noticed that he had what looked sort of like a pimple. The bump itself is about the diameter of a dime coin, maybe smaller.

I noticed it had some yellowish discharge(pus?)and squeezed what I could out and cleaned it hoping it would dry up and go away.

I also noticed our other boxer(female)would lick at Kimo's "pimple". We try to keep her from doing this anymore.

It's now been a couple of days and I've been cleaning it and squeezing what I can out of it. The area right on top of it is hairless now. Oh, and he's not scratching it and is acting and eating normally.

What do you think?

Hi. I'm so sorry for the delay in replying. My status somehow changed to online when I was not online! Let me know if you would like a refund and I will be happy to do so.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing this lump. There are several things that it could be. My first instinct is that it could be some type of a sebaceous cyst. These are small lumps filled with gooey material. Sometimes the material looks like cottage cheese. They're usually nothing to worry about but it may not go away.

It's also possible that this is some type of an infection. If this is the case you will notice it getting more and more red and irritating. If this happens then Kimo will need to see a vet. Antibiotic creams or ointments won't be enough to fix this if it is an infection.

Boxers can be prone to a number of types of skin cancers. For this reason, if the lump has not decreased in size in another few days or so it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look. From what you have described, cancer seems unlikely, but I still think it's worthwhile to have it checked.

Hopefully things have cleared up by now!

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (12246 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6247 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7330 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7651 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (19216 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17721 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8468 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (34941 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (25683 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (13148 views)