Pus filled lump on boxer.

Breed: Boxer

About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's neck.

Upon further inspection, I removed his leather collar(and have kept it off and ordered a new one) and noticed that he had what looked sort of like a pimple. The bump itself is about the diameter of a dime coin, maybe smaller.

I noticed it had some yellowish discharge(pus?)and squeezed what I could out and cleaned it hoping it would dry up and go away.

I also noticed our other boxer(female)would lick at Kimo's "pimple". We try to keep her from doing this anymore.

It's now been a couple of days and I've been cleaning it and squeezing what I can out of it. The area right on top of it is hairless now. Oh, and he's not scratching it and is acting and eating normally.

What do you think?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi. I'm so sorry for the delay in replying. My status somehow changed to online when I was not online! Let me know if you would like a refund and I will be happy to do so.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing this lump. There are several things that it could be. My first instinct is that it could be some type of a sebaceous cyst. These are small lumps filled with gooey material. Sometimes the material looks like cottage cheese. They're usually nothing to worry about but it may not go away.

It's also possible that this is some type of an infection. If this is the case you will notice it getting more and more red and irritating. If this happens then Kimo will need to see a vet. Antibiotic creams or ointments won't be enough to fix this if it is an infection.

Boxers can be prone to a number of types of skin cancers. For this reason, if the lump has not decreased in size in another few days or so it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look. From what you have described, cancer seems unlikely, but I still think it's worthwhile to have it checked.

Hopefully things have cleared up by now!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (12893 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (3135 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (5912 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (12434 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (7819 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (14279 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (9003 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (8122 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (5964 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (20321 views)