Laser pointer safe for cats?

Breed: abysinian
My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She cannot wait for me to take it out and play with her. However, when I put it away she spends the next 15 or 20 minutes looking for the red dot all over the room. Is she going to get frustrated or develop some sort of phobia by this activity. I feel guilty looking at her looking for it. Thanks for your time. Harvey

This is a great question!

I know that my cats really love playing with a laser pointer. I don't know why it can hold their attention so well! And yes, after it is gone, they will walk around the house for a few minutes looking furtively in every direction trying to get a glimpse of the little red dot.

In almost every case, I have no problem with a cat playing with a laser pointer. I think it is a good way to give your cat some exercise.

However, we have had one case in my clinic (not my case, by a colleague's) where a cat had psychiatric issues because of the laser pointer. This cat would walk around the house 24 hours a day looking for the thing. She was extremely stressed and anxious all of the time. This cat ended up needing to go on a medication similar to Prozac to help her mental state.

Now, this is extreme, and I really don't blame the laser pointer. Rather, I think this cat likely had some underlying mental issues to start with.

So, I would say to use your judgement. If Abby seems to enjoy the games you play with the pointer then keep it up. But if your gut is telling you that she is getting too obsessed you may need to cut back on her pointer time.

Hi there...I just saw your feedback that you had asked a followup question that wasn't answered. I don't see another question here. To ask a followup question, you need to access the question via the link that you got by email and you should see a "reply" button.

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (6515 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7446 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (6663 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (8836 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (3763 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (3502 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (10711 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (14104 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (21231 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (13021 views)