Laser pointer safe for cats?

Breed: abysinian
My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She cannot wait for me to take it out and play with her. However, when I put it away she spends the next 15 or 20 minutes looking for the red dot all over the room. Is she going to get frustrated or develop some sort of phobia by this activity. I feel guilty looking at her looking for it. Thanks for your time. Harvey

This is a great question!

I know that my cats really love playing with a laser pointer. I don't know why it can hold their attention so well! And yes, after it is gone, they will walk around the house for a few minutes looking furtively in every direction trying to get a glimpse of the little red dot.

In almost every case, I have no problem with a cat playing with a laser pointer. I think it is a good way to give your cat some exercise.

However, we have had one case in my clinic (not my case, by a colleague's) where a cat had psychiatric issues because of the laser pointer. This cat would walk around the house 24 hours a day looking for the thing. She was extremely stressed and anxious all of the time. This cat ended up needing to go on a medication similar to Prozac to help her mental state.

Now, this is extreme, and I really don't blame the laser pointer. Rather, I think this cat likely had some underlying mental issues to start with.

So, I would say to use your judgement. If Abby seems to enjoy the games you play with the pointer then keep it up. But if your gut is telling you that she is getting too obsessed you may need to cut back on her pointer time.

Hi there...I just saw your feedback that you had asked a followup question that wasn't answered. I don't see another question here. To ask a followup question, you need to access the question via the link that you got by email and you should see a "reply" button.

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (12955 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (11391 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11767 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8000 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (5808 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (7338 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (12937 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5291 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (6296 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (20538 views)