Laser pointer safe for cats?

Breed: abysinian
My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She cannot wait for me to take it out and play with her. However, when I put it away she spends the next 15 or 20 minutes looking for the red dot all over the room. Is she going to get frustrated or develop some sort of phobia by this activity. I feel guilty looking at her looking for it. Thanks for your time. Harvey

This is a great question!

I know that my cats really love playing with a laser pointer. I don't know why it can hold their attention so well! And yes, after it is gone, they will walk around the house for a few minutes looking furtively in every direction trying to get a glimpse of the little red dot.

In almost every case, I have no problem with a cat playing with a laser pointer. I think it is a good way to give your cat some exercise.

However, we have had one case in my clinic (not my case, by a colleague's) where a cat had psychiatric issues because of the laser pointer. This cat would walk around the house 24 hours a day looking for the thing. She was extremely stressed and anxious all of the time. This cat ended up needing to go on a medication similar to Prozac to help her mental state.

Now, this is extreme, and I really don't blame the laser pointer. Rather, I think this cat likely had some underlying mental issues to start with.

So, I would say to use your judgement. If Abby seems to enjoy the games you play with the pointer then keep it up. But if your gut is telling you that she is getting too obsessed you may need to cut back on her pointer time.

Hi there...I just saw your feedback that you had asked a followup question that wasn't answered. I don't see another question here. To ask a followup question, you need to access the question via the link that you got by email and you should see a "reply" button.

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (50292 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (19588 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (7514 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (125348 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (12504 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (91821 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (31729 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (8692 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (7012 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (27933 views)