Laser pointer safe for cats?

Breed: abysinian
My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She cannot wait for me to take it out and play with her. However, when I put it away she spends the next 15 or 20 minutes looking for the red dot all over the room. Is she going to get frustrated or develop some sort of phobia by this activity. I feel guilty looking at her looking for it. Thanks for your time. Harvey

This is a great question!

I know that my cats really love playing with a laser pointer. I don't know why it can hold their attention so well! And yes, after it is gone, they will walk around the house for a few minutes looking furtively in every direction trying to get a glimpse of the little red dot.

In almost every case, I have no problem with a cat playing with a laser pointer. I think it is a good way to give your cat some exercise.

However, we have had one case in my clinic (not my case, by a colleague's) where a cat had psychiatric issues because of the laser pointer. This cat would walk around the house 24 hours a day looking for the thing. She was extremely stressed and anxious all of the time. This cat ended up needing to go on a medication similar to Prozac to help her mental state.

Now, this is extreme, and I really don't blame the laser pointer. Rather, I think this cat likely had some underlying mental issues to start with.

So, I would say to use your judgement. If Abby seems to enjoy the games you play with the pointer then keep it up. But if your gut is telling you that she is getting too obsessed you may need to cut back on her pointer time.

Hi there...I just saw your feedback that you had asked a followup question that wasn't answered. I don't see another question here. To ask a followup question, you need to access the question via the link that you got by email and you should see a "reply" button.

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (121741 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (13810 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (27506 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (10022 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (22107 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (4839 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (62981 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (8112 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (3837 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (53664 views)