Has my cat been poisoned?

Breed: feline
I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a few days ago on our porch, then he went missing for 2 days. My son and I found him under our porch this afternoon. He is breathing, but no much else. He can not meow, he can not close his eyes, he has urinated on himself, he does try to move, but then falls back on his side, and just lays there motionless. He is just breathing. We tried ot give him some water, he did try to drink, but he can't open his mouth and move his tongue out to drink. Is their any hope for him?

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is so ill. It does sound like there is something really serious going on.

There are a large number of possibilities as to what could be going on. Some could be treated and some may be too difficult to treat.

It's possible that he has sustained some kind of trauma such as being hit by a car. If he has a serious back injury then there may not be much that can be done for him. However, if he has something like a pelvis fracture, he may be able to heal with some anti-inflammatory medications and rest. It's possible he also has a jaw fracture. Most jaw fractures will heal if we can keep the cat hydrated in the hospital for a while first.

Some type of toxin such as antifreeze is possible. Antifreeze is very toxic to kidneys. While antifreeze toxicity is treatable, we need to catch the symptoms early to have our best chance at success.

A serious infection is possible as well. If this is the case then he could be treated with some hospital care and antibiotics.

Something like a blood parasite is possible as well. Again, this would be treated with some hospital care and medications.

Whatever the cause, Kitty is obviously extremely unwell and needs to see a veterinarian right away. The vet should be able to give you an idea as to what is going on and whether or not he can be treated. If he has an untreatable condition it is not fair to let him suffer like this. Hopefully you can have him seen right away!

I hope he is ok.

Thank you very much for your time! I do believe it is a toxin of sme type. We live far off the road. He possibly ate a rat that was poisoned. I'm sad... But thanks for your time. We will have him put down. I don't believe anything can be done, I was just hopeful he could pull through.

Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? Rat poison causes an animal to bleed internally and as such the gums would be white.

There still is some chance that something could be done, but I do admit that this chance is quite small.

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7931 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11265 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10699 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6040 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (14114 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11414 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (177496 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7546 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8323 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49542 views)