Has my cat been poisoned?

Breed: feline
I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a few days ago on our porch, then he went missing for 2 days. My son and I found him under our porch this afternoon. He is breathing, but no much else. He can not meow, he can not close his eyes, he has urinated on himself, he does try to move, but then falls back on his side, and just lays there motionless. He is just breathing. We tried ot give him some water, he did try to drink, but he can't open his mouth and move his tongue out to drink. Is their any hope for him?

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is so ill. It does sound like there is something really serious going on.

There are a large number of possibilities as to what could be going on. Some could be treated and some may be too difficult to treat.

It's possible that he has sustained some kind of trauma such as being hit by a car. If he has a serious back injury then there may not be much that can be done for him. However, if he has something like a pelvis fracture, he may be able to heal with some anti-inflammatory medications and rest. It's possible he also has a jaw fracture. Most jaw fractures will heal if we can keep the cat hydrated in the hospital for a while first.

Some type of toxin such as antifreeze is possible. Antifreeze is very toxic to kidneys. While antifreeze toxicity is treatable, we need to catch the symptoms early to have our best chance at success.

A serious infection is possible as well. If this is the case then he could be treated with some hospital care and antibiotics.

Something like a blood parasite is possible as well. Again, this would be treated with some hospital care and medications.

Whatever the cause, Kitty is obviously extremely unwell and needs to see a veterinarian right away. The vet should be able to give you an idea as to what is going on and whether or not he can be treated. If he has an untreatable condition it is not fair to let him suffer like this. Hopefully you can have him seen right away!

I hope he is ok.

Thank you very much for your time! I do believe it is a toxin of sme type. We live far off the road. He possibly ate a rat that was poisoned. I'm sad... But thanks for your time. We will have him put down. I don't believe anything can be done, I was just hopeful he could pull through.

Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? Rat poison causes an animal to bleed internally and as such the gums would be white.

There still is some chance that something could be done, but I do admit that this chance is quite small.

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9936 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20547 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (14956 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16181 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14112 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (47589 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14515 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13663 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (21815 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (6927 views)