Has my cat been poisoned?

Breed: feline
I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a few days ago on our porch, then he went missing for 2 days. My son and I found him under our porch this afternoon. He is breathing, but no much else. He can not meow, he can not close his eyes, he has urinated on himself, he does try to move, but then falls back on his side, and just lays there motionless. He is just breathing. We tried ot give him some water, he did try to drink, but he can't open his mouth and move his tongue out to drink. Is their any hope for him?

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is so ill. It does sound like there is something really serious going on.

There are a large number of possibilities as to what could be going on. Some could be treated and some may be too difficult to treat.

It's possible that he has sustained some kind of trauma such as being hit by a car. If he has a serious back injury then there may not be much that can be done for him. However, if he has something like a pelvis fracture, he may be able to heal with some anti-inflammatory medications and rest. It's possible he also has a jaw fracture. Most jaw fractures will heal if we can keep the cat hydrated in the hospital for a while first.

Some type of toxin such as antifreeze is possible. Antifreeze is very toxic to kidneys. While antifreeze toxicity is treatable, we need to catch the symptoms early to have our best chance at success.

A serious infection is possible as well. If this is the case then he could be treated with some hospital care and antibiotics.

Something like a blood parasite is possible as well. Again, this would be treated with some hospital care and medications.

Whatever the cause, Kitty is obviously extremely unwell and needs to see a veterinarian right away. The vet should be able to give you an idea as to what is going on and whether or not he can be treated. If he has an untreatable condition it is not fair to let him suffer like this. Hopefully you can have him seen right away!

I hope he is ok.

Thank you very much for your time! I do believe it is a toxin of sme type. We live far off the road. He possibly ate a rat that was poisoned. I'm sad... But thanks for your time. We will have him put down. I don't believe anything can be done, I was just hopeful he could pull through.

Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? Rat poison causes an animal to bleed internally and as such the gums would be white.

There still is some chance that something could be done, but I do admit that this chance is quite small.

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (26804 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (16602 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (11141 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7501 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (17240 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (15049 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9721 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25788 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15578 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (42359 views)