Has my cat been poisoned?

Breed: feline
I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a few days ago on our porch, then he went missing for 2 days. My son and I found him under our porch this afternoon. He is breathing, but no much else. He can not meow, he can not close his eyes, he has urinated on himself, he does try to move, but then falls back on his side, and just lays there motionless. He is just breathing. We tried ot give him some water, he did try to drink, but he can't open his mouth and move his tongue out to drink. Is their any hope for him?

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is so ill. It does sound like there is something really serious going on.

There are a large number of possibilities as to what could be going on. Some could be treated and some may be too difficult to treat.

It's possible that he has sustained some kind of trauma such as being hit by a car. If he has a serious back injury then there may not be much that can be done for him. However, if he has something like a pelvis fracture, he may be able to heal with some anti-inflammatory medications and rest. It's possible he also has a jaw fracture. Most jaw fractures will heal if we can keep the cat hydrated in the hospital for a while first.

Some type of toxin such as antifreeze is possible. Antifreeze is very toxic to kidneys. While antifreeze toxicity is treatable, we need to catch the symptoms early to have our best chance at success.

A serious infection is possible as well. If this is the case then he could be treated with some hospital care and antibiotics.

Something like a blood parasite is possible as well. Again, this would be treated with some hospital care and medications.

Whatever the cause, Kitty is obviously extremely unwell and needs to see a veterinarian right away. The vet should be able to give you an idea as to what is going on and whether or not he can be treated. If he has an untreatable condition it is not fair to let him suffer like this. Hopefully you can have him seen right away!

I hope he is ok.

Thank you very much for your time! I do believe it is a toxin of sme type. We live far off the road. He possibly ate a rat that was poisoned. I'm sad... But thanks for your time. We will have him put down. I don't believe anything can be done, I was just hopeful he could pull through.

Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? Rat poison causes an animal to bleed internally and as such the gums would be white.

There still is some chance that something could be done, but I do admit that this chance is quite small.

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (10391 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (5571 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (125072 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (9801 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (9126 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (24237 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (11337 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (19349 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6387 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (11739 views)