Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Has my cat been poisoned?

Species: Cat
Breed: feline
Age: 2-5 years
I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a few days ago on our porch, then he went missing for 2 days. My son and I found him under our porch this afternoon. He is breathing, but no much else. He can not meow, he can not close his eyes, he has urinated on himself, he does try to move, but then falls back on his side, and just lays there motionless. He is just breathing. We tried ot give him some water, he did try to drink, but he can't open his mouth and move his tongue out to drink. Is their any hope for him?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Kitty is so ill. It does sound like there is something really serious going on.

There are a large number of possibilities as to what could be going on. Some could be treated and some may be too difficult to treat.

It's possible that he has sustained some kind of trauma such as being hit by a car. If he has a serious back injury then there may not be much that can be done for him. However, if he has something like a pelvis fracture, he may be able to heal with some anti-inflammatory medications and rest. It's possible he also has a jaw fracture. Most jaw fractures will heal if we can keep the cat hydrated in the hospital for a while first.

Some type of toxin such as antifreeze is possible. Antifreeze is very toxic to kidneys. While antifreeze toxicity is treatable, we need to catch the symptoms early to have our best chance at success.

A serious infection is possible as well. If this is the case then he could be treated with some hospital care and antibiotics.

Something like a blood parasite is possible as well. Again, this would be treated with some hospital care and medications.

Whatever the cause, Kitty is obviously extremely unwell and needs to see a veterinarian right away. The vet should be able to give you an idea as to what is going on and whether or not he can be treated. If he has an untreatable condition it is not fair to let him suffer like this. Hopefully you can have him seen right away!

I hope he is ok.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you very much for your time! I do believe it is a toxin of sme type. We live far off the road. He possibly ate a rat that was poisoned. I'm sad... But thanks for your time. We will have him put down. I don't believe anything can be done, I was just hopeful he could pull through.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Have a look at his gums. Do they look pink or white? Rat poison causes an animal to bleed internally and as such the gums would be white.

There still is some chance that something could be done, but I do admit that this chance is quite small.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8512 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (16438 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7794 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9359 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (11606 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16780 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27583 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15413 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (13182 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (8306 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.