Crusty ears on stray cat.

Breed: tortoiseshell
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I found on my street and have been taking care of for the past two weeks. I'm not entirely sure how old she is. She won't let me touch her and she won't come inside, but I've made her a little bed outside and I feed her daily. I've never had a cat and know very little about them, but a friend told me that it seems she has mange. Her ears are crusty and scabbed, she has a very large sore on the side of her face which bleeds, and she is constantly scratching and wailing. I know she's in tremendous pain; she sits and shakes by my door all day. I can't catch her to get a better look at her condition, but even if I were able to, I can't afford to take her to a vet right now. Is there anything I can do to help treat, comfort, or ease her pain until I can gather the funds to take her to get proper medical care? I appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,
Charleye

Hi Charleye, and thanks for your question. Thanks for looking after this little one.

This is going to be a hard question for me to answer as there are several things that can cause these symptoms.

It's possible that this is a severe case of ear mites. If so, she could be treated quite easily with a product called . Unfortunately though, you need a prescription to buy Revolution. And, you would need to get close enough to her to put the tube of medication on the skin on her back.

It's also possible that she has a skin and/or ear infection. If this is the case she's going to need some antibiotics.

It's really unlikely that there is anything you can do from a distance to help this poor little cat. You may want to try calling your local humane society to see if you can borrow or rent a live trap from them. If you can trap her, the humane society would likely take her for you and hopefully treat her. If she is really sick they may have to put her down which would be very sad. However, it sounds like she is extremely uncomfortable and it is not fair for her to live like this.

I wish I could give you more helpful advice.

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20939 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9319 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (16960 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (17560 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8238 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (7278 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6435 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11067 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13745 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (73374 views)