Crusty ears on stray cat.

Breed: tortoiseshell
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I found on my street and have been taking care of for the past two weeks. I'm not entirely sure how old she is. She won't let me touch her and she won't come inside, but I've made her a little bed outside and I feed her daily. I've never had a cat and know very little about them, but a friend told me that it seems she has mange. Her ears are crusty and scabbed, she has a very large sore on the side of her face which bleeds, and she is constantly scratching and wailing. I know she's in tremendous pain; she sits and shakes by my door all day. I can't catch her to get a better look at her condition, but even if I were able to, I can't afford to take her to a vet right now. Is there anything I can do to help treat, comfort, or ease her pain until I can gather the funds to take her to get proper medical care? I appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,
Charleye

Hi Charleye, and thanks for your question. Thanks for looking after this little one.

This is going to be a hard question for me to answer as there are several things that can cause these symptoms.

It's possible that this is a severe case of ear mites. If so, she could be treated quite easily with a product called . Unfortunately though, you need a prescription to buy Revolution. And, you would need to get close enough to her to put the tube of medication on the skin on her back.

It's also possible that she has a skin and/or ear infection. If this is the case she's going to need some antibiotics.

It's really unlikely that there is anything you can do from a distance to help this poor little cat. You may want to try calling your local humane society to see if you can borrow or rent a live trap from them. If you can trap her, the humane society would likely take her for you and hopefully treat her. If she is really sick they may have to put her down which would be very sad. However, it sounds like she is extremely uncomfortable and it is not fair for her to live like this.

I wish I could give you more helpful advice.

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (13517 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (19735 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (18521 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (8650 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (17293 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (15024 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (38902 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (9560 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (23890 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (9266 views)