Crusty ears on stray cat.

Breed: tortoiseshell
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I found on my street and have been taking care of for the past two weeks. I'm not entirely sure how old she is. She won't let me touch her and she won't come inside, but I've made her a little bed outside and I feed her daily. I've never had a cat and know very little about them, but a friend told me that it seems she has mange. Her ears are crusty and scabbed, she has a very large sore on the side of her face which bleeds, and she is constantly scratching and wailing. I know she's in tremendous pain; she sits and shakes by my door all day. I can't catch her to get a better look at her condition, but even if I were able to, I can't afford to take her to a vet right now. Is there anything I can do to help treat, comfort, or ease her pain until I can gather the funds to take her to get proper medical care? I appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,
Charleye

Hi Charleye, and thanks for your question. Thanks for looking after this little one.

This is going to be a hard question for me to answer as there are several things that can cause these symptoms.

It's possible that this is a severe case of ear mites. If so, she could be treated quite easily with a product called . Unfortunately though, you need a prescription to buy Revolution. And, you would need to get close enough to her to put the tube of medication on the skin on her back.

It's also possible that she has a skin and/or ear infection. If this is the case she's going to need some antibiotics.

It's really unlikely that there is anything you can do from a distance to help this poor little cat. You may want to try calling your local humane society to see if you can borrow or rent a live trap from them. If you can trap her, the humane society would likely take her for you and hopefully treat her. If she is really sick they may have to put her down which would be very sad. However, it sounds like she is extremely uncomfortable and it is not fair for her to live like this.

I wish I could give you more helpful advice.

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (12504 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (9844 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (5760 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (10604 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (9956 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (14907 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (31308 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (27615 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13378 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (17550 views)