Crusty ears on stray cat.

Breed: tortoiseshell
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I found on my street and have been taking care of for the past two weeks. I'm not entirely sure how old she is. She won't let me touch her and she won't come inside, but I've made her a little bed outside and I feed her daily. I've never had a cat and know very little about them, but a friend told me that it seems she has mange. Her ears are crusty and scabbed, she has a very large sore on the side of her face which bleeds, and she is constantly scratching and wailing. I know she's in tremendous pain; she sits and shakes by my door all day. I can't catch her to get a better look at her condition, but even if I were able to, I can't afford to take her to a vet right now. Is there anything I can do to help treat, comfort, or ease her pain until I can gather the funds to take her to get proper medical care? I appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,
Charleye

Hi Charleye, and thanks for your question. Thanks for looking after this little one.

This is going to be a hard question for me to answer as there are several things that can cause these symptoms.

It's possible that this is a severe case of ear mites. If so, she could be treated quite easily with a product called . Unfortunately though, you need a prescription to buy Revolution. And, you would need to get close enough to her to put the tube of medication on the skin on her back.

It's also possible that she has a skin and/or ear infection. If this is the case she's going to need some antibiotics.

It's really unlikely that there is anything you can do from a distance to help this poor little cat. You may want to try calling your local humane society to see if you can borrow or rent a live trap from them. If you can trap her, the humane society would likely take her for you and hopefully treat her. If she is really sick they may have to put her down which would be very sad. However, it sounds like she is extremely uncomfortable and it is not fair for her to live like this.

I wish I could give you more helpful advice.

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21031 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (24977 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (27002 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8560 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (24083 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (35230 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4631 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12495 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (10388 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9034 views)