Sores on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Dr. Marie-

Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his muzzle and snout for about a year. They don't develop whiteheads, they aren't filled with pus, they're firm, they cause pain and discomfort. When they first start, the "boils" are smooth and shiny. After a few weeks they become puckered and sort of lumpy. If Loki scratches one of these sores, they bleed a lot, scab, then create an area without fur for a few weeks. If he doesn't scratch them, it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course and to go away. I have a photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/ablums/ff252/breeligerent/Public/IMAG00221.jpg

We've tried different dog shampoos, antibacterial soaps, flea/tick treatments and anti-worm medicines, and using a moist warm towel compression, but they keep coming back. We don't know if it's a bacterial infection, a dermatological issue, a result of a pest or parasite, or an indication of an immune system issue or internal health problem. We don't know what direction to start in or home remedies to try. We want to take him to the vet, but finances have been really hard for us for a long time. We were hoping for any direction you could lead us in or maybe home remedies that could fix the cause of these sores, but if you think a trip to the vet is the only way to help him, we'll figure out a way to do that.

Thank you for your time,
Breeanne and Azriel

Sorry to hear that Loki is having these problems.

Unfortunately the link you gave to his photo did not work for me.

There are a few possible things that could cause these types of problems.

I'm worried that this could be an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus:

Pemphigus:

pemphigus on dog's nose

Discoid Lupus:

discoid lupus on dog's nose

Unfortunately the only way to get a diagnosis for one of these is to have a biopsy taken. These conditions are treatable, but often are difficult to treat. Some dogs with mild lesions will benefit from hydrocortisone cream but usually stronger medicines are needed. There may also be some benefit by applying Vitamin E cream to the lesions.

The other possibility is that this is a non healing bacterial infection. If this is the case oral antibiotics would be needed.

In any case, it really does sound like a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope things work out ok.

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (10775 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6028 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9596 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12989 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (20756 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9530 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10034 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15163 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10033 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7663 views)