Sores on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Dr. Marie-

Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his muzzle and snout for about a year. They don't develop whiteheads, they aren't filled with pus, they're firm, they cause pain and discomfort. When they first start, the "boils" are smooth and shiny. After a few weeks they become puckered and sort of lumpy. If Loki scratches one of these sores, they bleed a lot, scab, then create an area without fur for a few weeks. If he doesn't scratch them, it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course and to go away. I have a photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/ablums/ff252/breeligerent/Public/IMAG00221.jpg

We've tried different dog shampoos, antibacterial soaps, flea/tick treatments and anti-worm medicines, and using a moist warm towel compression, but they keep coming back. We don't know if it's a bacterial infection, a dermatological issue, a result of a pest or parasite, or an indication of an immune system issue or internal health problem. We don't know what direction to start in or home remedies to try. We want to take him to the vet, but finances have been really hard for us for a long time. We were hoping for any direction you could lead us in or maybe home remedies that could fix the cause of these sores, but if you think a trip to the vet is the only way to help him, we'll figure out a way to do that.

Thank you for your time,
Breeanne and Azriel

Sorry to hear that Loki is having these problems.

Unfortunately the link you gave to his photo did not work for me.

There are a few possible things that could cause these types of problems.

I'm worried that this could be an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus:

Pemphigus:

pemphigus on dog's nose

Discoid Lupus:

discoid lupus on dog's nose

Unfortunately the only way to get a diagnosis for one of these is to have a biopsy taken. These conditions are treatable, but often are difficult to treat. Some dogs with mild lesions will benefit from hydrocortisone cream but usually stronger medicines are needed. There may also be some benefit by applying Vitamin E cream to the lesions.

The other possibility is that this is a non healing bacterial infection. If this is the case oral antibiotics would be needed.

In any case, it really does sound like a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope things work out ok.

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9876 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6818 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (75439 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15903 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (7859 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10171 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6320 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (48729 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (46301 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (12974 views)