Sores on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Dr. Marie-

Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his muzzle and snout for about a year. They don't develop whiteheads, they aren't filled with pus, they're firm, they cause pain and discomfort. When they first start, the "boils" are smooth and shiny. After a few weeks they become puckered and sort of lumpy. If Loki scratches one of these sores, they bleed a lot, scab, then create an area without fur for a few weeks. If he doesn't scratch them, it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course and to go away. I have a photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/ablums/ff252/breeligerent/Public/IMAG00221.jpg

We've tried different dog shampoos, antibacterial soaps, flea/tick treatments and anti-worm medicines, and using a moist warm towel compression, but they keep coming back. We don't know if it's a bacterial infection, a dermatological issue, a result of a pest or parasite, or an indication of an immune system issue or internal health problem. We don't know what direction to start in or home remedies to try. We want to take him to the vet, but finances have been really hard for us for a long time. We were hoping for any direction you could lead us in or maybe home remedies that could fix the cause of these sores, but if you think a trip to the vet is the only way to help him, we'll figure out a way to do that.

Thank you for your time,
Breeanne and Azriel

Sorry to hear that Loki is having these problems.

Unfortunately the link you gave to his photo did not work for me.

There are a few possible things that could cause these types of problems.

I'm worried that this could be an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus:

Pemphigus:

pemphigus on dog's nose

Discoid Lupus:

discoid lupus on dog's nose

Unfortunately the only way to get a diagnosis for one of these is to have a biopsy taken. These conditions are treatable, but often are difficult to treat. Some dogs with mild lesions will benefit from hydrocortisone cream but usually stronger medicines are needed. There may also be some benefit by applying Vitamin E cream to the lesions.

The other possibility is that this is a non healing bacterial infection. If this is the case oral antibiotics would be needed.

In any case, it really does sound like a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope things work out ok.

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (14810 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8342 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (31616 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10023 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6170 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11466 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (6955 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (6828 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (29023 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10963 views)