Sores on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Dr. Marie-

Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his muzzle and snout for about a year. They don't develop whiteheads, they aren't filled with pus, they're firm, they cause pain and discomfort. When they first start, the "boils" are smooth and shiny. After a few weeks they become puckered and sort of lumpy. If Loki scratches one of these sores, they bleed a lot, scab, then create an area without fur for a few weeks. If he doesn't scratch them, it takes 4-6 weeks to run its course and to go away. I have a photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/ablums/ff252/breeligerent/Public/IMAG00221.jpg

We've tried different dog shampoos, antibacterial soaps, flea/tick treatments and anti-worm medicines, and using a moist warm towel compression, but they keep coming back. We don't know if it's a bacterial infection, a dermatological issue, a result of a pest or parasite, or an indication of an immune system issue or internal health problem. We don't know what direction to start in or home remedies to try. We want to take him to the vet, but finances have been really hard for us for a long time. We were hoping for any direction you could lead us in or maybe home remedies that could fix the cause of these sores, but if you think a trip to the vet is the only way to help him, we'll figure out a way to do that.

Thank you for your time,
Breeanne and Azriel

Sorry to hear that Loki is having these problems.

Unfortunately the link you gave to his photo did not work for me.

There are a few possible things that could cause these types of problems.

I'm worried that this could be an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or discoid lupus:

Pemphigus:

pemphigus on dog's nose

Discoid Lupus:

discoid lupus on dog's nose

Unfortunately the only way to get a diagnosis for one of these is to have a biopsy taken. These conditions are treatable, but often are difficult to treat. Some dogs with mild lesions will benefit from hydrocortisone cream but usually stronger medicines are needed. There may also be some benefit by applying Vitamin E cream to the lesions.

The other possibility is that this is a non healing bacterial infection. If this is the case oral antibiotics would be needed.

In any case, it really does sound like a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope things work out ok.

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48069 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16298 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (22484 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10261 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11284 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16004 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12606 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6669 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56689 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11448 views)