Is my cat losing weight?

Breed: mix
My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight according to the scale remains mostly the same, fluctuating between 9 and 10 pounds, although he has been remaining steady at 10 lbs. He still has a healthy appetite, remains affectionate and playful, and has not shown signs of any distress. Could his feel and appearance simply be signs of age? The steady weight reading has me confused. Thanks!

I have seen this before: a cat who has obviously lost weight, but still weighs the same on the scale. Quite often this means that there is some fluid somewhere in the body. If a cat has a buildup of fluid on the lungs or in the abdomen then this is going to contribute to the overall weight. But, we can still see a decrease in the size of the cat.

It sounds like it would be a great idea to have your vet examine Kia and probably do some blood tests. Hope everything is ok!

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (55846 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (20376 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19515 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9677 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9617 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8382 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13925 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19128 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11722 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (15155 views)