Is my cat losing weight?

Breed: mix
My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight according to the scale remains mostly the same, fluctuating between 9 and 10 pounds, although he has been remaining steady at 10 lbs. He still has a healthy appetite, remains affectionate and playful, and has not shown signs of any distress. Could his feel and appearance simply be signs of age? The steady weight reading has me confused. Thanks!

I have seen this before: a cat who has obviously lost weight, but still weighs the same on the scale. Quite often this means that there is some fluid somewhere in the body. If a cat has a buildup of fluid on the lungs or in the abdomen then this is going to contribute to the overall weight. But, we can still see a decrease in the size of the cat.

It sounds like it would be a great idea to have your vet examine Kia and probably do some blood tests. Hope everything is ok!

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (9095 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (11456 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (37714 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (9083 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (10327 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (5921 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (16424 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (13763 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (14152 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (18529 views)