Is my cat losing weight?

Breed: mix
My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight according to the scale remains mostly the same, fluctuating between 9 and 10 pounds, although he has been remaining steady at 10 lbs. He still has a healthy appetite, remains affectionate and playful, and has not shown signs of any distress. Could his feel and appearance simply be signs of age? The steady weight reading has me confused. Thanks!

I have seen this before: a cat who has obviously lost weight, but still weighs the same on the scale. Quite often this means that there is some fluid somewhere in the body. If a cat has a buildup of fluid on the lungs or in the abdomen then this is going to contribute to the overall weight. But, we can still see a decrease in the size of the cat.

It sounds like it would be a great idea to have your vet examine Kia and probably do some blood tests. Hope everything is ok!

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18956 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19820 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6919 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15614 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7074 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (13822 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (16169 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19665 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (8181 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9415 views)