Rat with facial swelling.

Breed: Rat
My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has swollen, it's tender when I touch it and blood is being excreted from her nasal passage.
She was treated for a respiratory infection with Baytril about two months ago.
She gave birth to six rat kittens on the 18th of January.

I'm not sure what to do with my rat, the swelling is quite large, it developed over the course of day. Is it galangular (parotid or thyroid) or an abcess? I'm really stumped.

I need to know how to treat it.

Sorry to hear that Duchess is having these problems.

There are a few things that can cause a swelling on the side of a rat's face.

I always get worried about cancers with rats. Some rats can get a cancer called a Zymbal's gland tumor. These cause an ulcerated mass on the side of the face just below the ear. Some of these can be benign but some can be very cancerous. If it is benign it's possible it could be removed with surgery. However, if this is a tumor and it is causing bleeding from her nose then the odds are that it is cancerous.

It could be an abscess - possibly a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately with rats, they do not produce a liquid pus that can be treated by just lancing and putting the animal on antibiotics. They usually need to have surgery to remove the pus as it is very thick.

An abscess as a result of an ear infection is possible as well. There's a small chance it could get better with antibiotics prescribed by your vet, but some of these need surgery too.

Unfortunately there really is no at home treatment I can recommend here.

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9381 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10664 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7354 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8569 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14909 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (8919 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7597 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (14762 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6464 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10116 views)