Rat with facial swelling.

Breed: Rat
My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has swollen, it's tender when I touch it and blood is being excreted from her nasal passage.
She was treated for a respiratory infection with Baytril about two months ago.
She gave birth to six rat kittens on the 18th of January.

I'm not sure what to do with my rat, the swelling is quite large, it developed over the course of day. Is it galangular (parotid or thyroid) or an abcess? I'm really stumped.

I need to know how to treat it.

Sorry to hear that Duchess is having these problems.

There are a few things that can cause a swelling on the side of a rat's face.

I always get worried about cancers with rats. Some rats can get a cancer called a Zymbal's gland tumor. These cause an ulcerated mass on the side of the face just below the ear. Some of these can be benign but some can be very cancerous. If it is benign it's possible it could be removed with surgery. However, if this is a tumor and it is causing bleeding from her nose then the odds are that it is cancerous.

It could be an abscess - possibly a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately with rats, they do not produce a liquid pus that can be treated by just lancing and putting the animal on antibiotics. They usually need to have surgery to remove the pus as it is very thick.

An abscess as a result of an ear infection is possible as well. There's a small chance it could get better with antibiotics prescribed by your vet, but some of these need surgery too.

Unfortunately there really is no at home treatment I can recommend here.

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8469 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39438 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (9885 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10048 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (67736 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9440 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (9832 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (17670 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7604 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10277 views)