Rat with facial swelling.

Breed: Rat
My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has swollen, it's tender when I touch it and blood is being excreted from her nasal passage.
She was treated for a respiratory infection with Baytril about two months ago.
She gave birth to six rat kittens on the 18th of January.

I'm not sure what to do with my rat, the swelling is quite large, it developed over the course of day. Is it galangular (parotid or thyroid) or an abcess? I'm really stumped.

I need to know how to treat it.

Sorry to hear that Duchess is having these problems.

There are a few things that can cause a swelling on the side of a rat's face.

I always get worried about cancers with rats. Some rats can get a cancer called a Zymbal's gland tumor. These cause an ulcerated mass on the side of the face just below the ear. Some of these can be benign but some can be very cancerous. If it is benign it's possible it could be removed with surgery. However, if this is a tumor and it is causing bleeding from her nose then the odds are that it is cancerous.

It could be an abscess - possibly a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately with rats, they do not produce a liquid pus that can be treated by just lancing and putting the animal on antibiotics. They usually need to have surgery to remove the pus as it is very thick.

An abscess as a result of an ear infection is possible as well. There's a small chance it could get better with antibiotics prescribed by your vet, but some of these need surgery too.

Unfortunately there really is no at home treatment I can recommend here.

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (90944 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (23757 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (8678 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21289 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (103200 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (27772 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (8764 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (82806 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6321 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (8777 views)