Rat with facial swelling.

Breed: Rat
My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has swollen, it's tender when I touch it and blood is being excreted from her nasal passage.
She was treated for a respiratory infection with Baytril about two months ago.
She gave birth to six rat kittens on the 18th of January.

I'm not sure what to do with my rat, the swelling is quite large, it developed over the course of day. Is it galangular (parotid or thyroid) or an abcess? I'm really stumped.

I need to know how to treat it.

Sorry to hear that Duchess is having these problems.

There are a few things that can cause a swelling on the side of a rat's face.

I always get worried about cancers with rats. Some rats can get a cancer called a Zymbal's gland tumor. These cause an ulcerated mass on the side of the face just below the ear. Some of these can be benign but some can be very cancerous. If it is benign it's possible it could be removed with surgery. However, if this is a tumor and it is causing bleeding from her nose then the odds are that it is cancerous.

It could be an abscess - possibly a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately with rats, they do not produce a liquid pus that can be treated by just lancing and putting the animal on antibiotics. They usually need to have surgery to remove the pus as it is very thick.

An abscess as a result of an ear infection is possible as well. There's a small chance it could get better with antibiotics prescribed by your vet, but some of these need surgery too.

Unfortunately there really is no at home treatment I can recommend here.

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (10376 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (15043 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (5113 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27998 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (14381 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8652 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (65520 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12163 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (87139 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (20499 views)