Rat with facial swelling.

Breed: Rat
My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has swollen, it's tender when I touch it and blood is being excreted from her nasal passage.
She was treated for a respiratory infection with Baytril about two months ago.
She gave birth to six rat kittens on the 18th of January.

I'm not sure what to do with my rat, the swelling is quite large, it developed over the course of day. Is it galangular (parotid or thyroid) or an abcess? I'm really stumped.

I need to know how to treat it.

Sorry to hear that Duchess is having these problems.

There are a few things that can cause a swelling on the side of a rat's face.

I always get worried about cancers with rats. Some rats can get a cancer called a Zymbal's gland tumor. These cause an ulcerated mass on the side of the face just below the ear. Some of these can be benign but some can be very cancerous. If it is benign it's possible it could be removed with surgery. However, if this is a tumor and it is causing bleeding from her nose then the odds are that it is cancerous.

It could be an abscess - possibly a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately with rats, they do not produce a liquid pus that can be treated by just lancing and putting the animal on antibiotics. They usually need to have surgery to remove the pus as it is very thick.

An abscess as a result of an ear infection is possible as well. There's a small chance it could get better with antibiotics prescribed by your vet, but some of these need surgery too.

Unfortunately there really is no at home treatment I can recommend here.

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5355 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6583 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12388 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13562 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11238 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (35211 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (9313 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (9257 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7253 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5375 views)