Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: pekingese
Hi,
My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could it be stress or could it be parvo?

Thank you

There are a number of possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea.

Parvo certainly is possible. Most dogs with parvo will be *really* sick though. They usually have watery diarrhea with blood and vomit and don't want to eat. If you suspect this then Light needs to see the vet right away.

Another common cause of diarrhea is parasites. Most over the counter dewormers will take care of the common parasites. But, there are some such as giardia and coccidia that need special medication you get from your vet.

And yes, stress can cause some mild diarrhea. So can a change in food. If you think either of these is the case you can try feeding small amounts of chicken and rice for 2 days and then reintroduce the regular food.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration so if you think he is really unwell, or if the diarrhea goes on more than 2 days then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6431 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (15961 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10079 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (19179 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5784 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (7845 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (29885 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17536 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11553 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (9939 views)