Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: pekingese
Hi,
My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could it be stress or could it be parvo?

Thank you

There are a number of possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea.

Parvo certainly is possible. Most dogs with parvo will be *really* sick though. They usually have watery diarrhea with blood and vomit and don't want to eat. If you suspect this then Light needs to see the vet right away.

Another common cause of diarrhea is parasites. Most over the counter dewormers will take care of the common parasites. But, there are some such as giardia and coccidia that need special medication you get from your vet.

And yes, stress can cause some mild diarrhea. So can a change in food. If you think either of these is the case you can try feeding small amounts of chicken and rice for 2 days and then reintroduce the regular food.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration so if you think he is really unwell, or if the diarrhea goes on more than 2 days then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4983 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (14964 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7790 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11575 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (183343 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13315 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21075 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28062 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10276 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25784 views)