Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: pekingese
Hi,
My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could it be stress or could it be parvo?

Thank you

There are a number of possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea.

Parvo certainly is possible. Most dogs with parvo will be *really* sick though. They usually have watery diarrhea with blood and vomit and don't want to eat. If you suspect this then Light needs to see the vet right away.

Another common cause of diarrhea is parasites. Most over the counter dewormers will take care of the common parasites. But, there are some such as giardia and coccidia that need special medication you get from your vet.

And yes, stress can cause some mild diarrhea. So can a change in food. If you think either of these is the case you can try feeding small amounts of chicken and rice for 2 days and then reintroduce the regular food.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration so if you think he is really unwell, or if the diarrhea goes on more than 2 days then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (16745 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7233 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9776 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (15781 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (15455 views)

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (8224 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (18520 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (10123 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (24329 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (15226 views)