Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: pekingese
Hi,
My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could it be stress or could it be parvo?

Thank you

There are a number of possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea.

Parvo certainly is possible. Most dogs with parvo will be *really* sick though. They usually have watery diarrhea with blood and vomit and don't want to eat. If you suspect this then Light needs to see the vet right away.

Another common cause of diarrhea is parasites. Most over the counter dewormers will take care of the common parasites. But, there are some such as giardia and coccidia that need special medication you get from your vet.

And yes, stress can cause some mild diarrhea. So can a change in food. If you think either of these is the case you can try feeding small amounts of chicken and rice for 2 days and then reintroduce the regular food.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration so if you think he is really unwell, or if the diarrhea goes on more than 2 days then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (56448 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8278 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35636 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (20994 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18805 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16331 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (4795 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (26964 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (13793 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (11855 views)