Puppy with diarrhea.

Breed: pekingese
Hi,
My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could it be stress or could it be parvo?

Thank you

There are a number of possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea.

Parvo certainly is possible. Most dogs with parvo will be *really* sick though. They usually have watery diarrhea with blood and vomit and don't want to eat. If you suspect this then Light needs to see the vet right away.

Another common cause of diarrhea is parasites. Most over the counter dewormers will take care of the common parasites. But, there are some such as giardia and coccidia that need special medication you get from your vet.

And yes, stress can cause some mild diarrhea. So can a change in food. If you think either of these is the case you can try feeding small amounts of chicken and rice for 2 days and then reintroduce the regular food.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration so if you think he is really unwell, or if the diarrhea goes on more than 2 days then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6301 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (12449 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (15147 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4369 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12043 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (15191 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (17644 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (17140 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (94904 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (5670 views)