Euthanasia question.

Breed: mutt
Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. I've had to put other dogs to sleep and this never happened so would like to know for peace of mind please. Angel was given her a sedative which really did relax her (she weighed 61 pounds) Then came the final injectioins. As I was holding her head and chest I could feel her heart racing faster and faster. It felt like it was going to jump out of her chest and then it stopped. Did she have a heart attack before passing? Did this cause her pain? I feel so awful if I caused this to my baby. Will you let me know what went wrong? I won't be able to function till I know. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your sad day.

What you have described in Angel's last seconds is quite normal and not a sign of a heart attack at all.

The injection that she was given intravenously was likely an overdose of an anesthetic called pentobarbital. The first thing it does is affect the brain so that Angel would be completely unconscious during the procedure. From that point on she would have no idea what was happening to her.

Next, the medication works to stop the heart. As the heart gets weaker and weaker it often does start to pump faster in an effort to continue to provide the body with the right amount of blood. I have commonly heard an animal's heartbeat get faster and faster and then suddenly stop in response to the euthanasia solution.

She was definitely not in pain.

So sorry for your loss.

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (58017 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (12163 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (20173 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (15880 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (12664 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (9681 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (17548 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (14059 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (6318 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18464 views)