Euthanasia question.

Breed: mutt
Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. I've had to put other dogs to sleep and this never happened so would like to know for peace of mind please. Angel was given her a sedative which really did relax her (she weighed 61 pounds) Then came the final injectioins. As I was holding her head and chest I could feel her heart racing faster and faster. It felt like it was going to jump out of her chest and then it stopped. Did she have a heart attack before passing? Did this cause her pain? I feel so awful if I caused this to my baby. Will you let me know what went wrong? I won't be able to function till I know. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your sad day.

What you have described in Angel's last seconds is quite normal and not a sign of a heart attack at all.

The injection that she was given intravenously was likely an overdose of an anesthetic called pentobarbital. The first thing it does is affect the brain so that Angel would be completely unconscious during the procedure. From that point on she would have no idea what was happening to her.

Next, the medication works to stop the heart. As the heart gets weaker and weaker it often does start to pump faster in an effort to continue to provide the body with the right amount of blood. I have commonly heard an animal's heartbeat get faster and faster and then suddenly stop in response to the euthanasia solution.

She was definitely not in pain.

So sorry for your loss.

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (13999 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (10517 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (10745 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (64952 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (10367 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (109784 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10482 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4450 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (26000 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7144 views)