Euthanasia question.

Breed: mutt
Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. I've had to put other dogs to sleep and this never happened so would like to know for peace of mind please. Angel was given her a sedative which really did relax her (she weighed 61 pounds) Then came the final injectioins. As I was holding her head and chest I could feel her heart racing faster and faster. It felt like it was going to jump out of her chest and then it stopped. Did she have a heart attack before passing? Did this cause her pain? I feel so awful if I caused this to my baby. Will you let me know what went wrong? I won't be able to function till I know. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your sad day.

What you have described in Angel's last seconds is quite normal and not a sign of a heart attack at all.

The injection that she was given intravenously was likely an overdose of an anesthetic called pentobarbital. The first thing it does is affect the brain so that Angel would be completely unconscious during the procedure. From that point on she would have no idea what was happening to her.

Next, the medication works to stop the heart. As the heart gets weaker and weaker it often does start to pump faster in an effort to continue to provide the body with the right amount of blood. I have commonly heard an animal's heartbeat get faster and faster and then suddenly stop in response to the euthanasia solution.

She was definitely not in pain.

So sorry for your loss.

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (7339 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (12970 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (14518 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6559 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27750 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (10744 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (12247 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (38292 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (11605 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (10582 views)