Euthanasia question.

Breed: mutt
Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. I've had to put other dogs to sleep and this never happened so would like to know for peace of mind please. Angel was given her a sedative which really did relax her (she weighed 61 pounds) Then came the final injectioins. As I was holding her head and chest I could feel her heart racing faster and faster. It felt like it was going to jump out of her chest and then it stopped. Did she have a heart attack before passing? Did this cause her pain? I feel so awful if I caused this to my baby. Will you let me know what went wrong? I won't be able to function till I know. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your sad day.

What you have described in Angel's last seconds is quite normal and not a sign of a heart attack at all.

The injection that she was given intravenously was likely an overdose of an anesthetic called pentobarbital. The first thing it does is affect the brain so that Angel would be completely unconscious during the procedure. From that point on she would have no idea what was happening to her.

Next, the medication works to stop the heart. As the heart gets weaker and weaker it often does start to pump faster in an effort to continue to provide the body with the right amount of blood. I have commonly heard an animal's heartbeat get faster and faster and then suddenly stop in response to the euthanasia solution.

She was definitely not in pain.

So sorry for your loss.

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (12328 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (12299 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (31274 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (11448 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (8238 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (39301 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (21086 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11144 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (7491 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (10541 views)