Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: Pug
My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up in the morning and there was vomit in several (about 4 places) it seemed to be food. Then during the next day she vomited yellow bile about 3 times, but has been drinking water. She really wasnt eating and ate last night, but when I woke up this morning she had thrown it up. This after noon I found Diarraha on the floor was looked more like muscs and one part of it seemed really red. There was grass in it as well that she must have eaten yesterday or this morning when I let them out. She is calmer then she usually is but does not appear to be in pain. She had a vet appointment about a week or so ago where she got shots and the vet said she was in great health, but now I dont know why this is going on. I dont know if I should take her to an emergency vet or if I can wait until morning and take her to the vet that we went to see.

Sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well. While I won't be able to say for certain what is going on I can give you a few ideas that will hopefully help you know whether you need to see an emergency vet.

There are lots of things that can cause a dog to have vomiting and diarrhea. Fortunately, most of them are not serious. The most common reason is if a dog has eaten something unusual. But, often we don't find out what the culprit is.

There are also some more serious issues that can cause vomiting and diarrhea including pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign object or toxin ingestion.

Here are my criteria that would say that an emergency visit is necessary:

-If you felt that Baliey was really uncomfortable and couldn't get settled, then yes, I would have her seen today.

-Have a feel of her belly, right behind her ribs. If you push on this area (i.e. put a hand on either side and then push your fingers together towards the center of her body), is she really sore? If she fights against you and tenses up then this could be a sign if pain. This could indicate pancreatitis which can be fairly serious.

-If you think it's possible that she has eaten a foreign object (like swallowed a toy or clothing, etc.) then I would have her seen today.

-Is she spayed? If she is not spayed, then when she was in heat last? If she has had a heat within the last 2 months then a pyometra is possible. This is a serious uterine infection. If you think this is possible then the sooner she is seen the better.

-If diarrhea and vomiting has been going on for 2-3 days, this is usually my criteria to have the dog looked at, even if she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. So, if she is not better by tomorrow she should definitely be seen.

-Also, follow your gut. If you really feel that something is not right, then it never hurts to have an emergency visit just to be sure.

From what you have described, I am guessing that it should be alright to wait until tomorrow. Until then, make sure she has plenty of water. Also, you can try feeding a very small amount of boiled chicken and rice. There is nothing "magical" about chicken and rice but they are very bland foods that shouldn't make things worse. Don't try to entice her to eat by offering unusual foods. If she doesn't want to eat, then it means she is not feeling well.

I hope she feels better soon!

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (14125 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6693 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (17246 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (8306 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5221 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (35263 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (8783 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (28629 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (10828 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (15336 views)