Vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: Pug
My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up in the morning and there was vomit in several (about 4 places) it seemed to be food. Then during the next day she vomited yellow bile about 3 times, but has been drinking water. She really wasnt eating and ate last night, but when I woke up this morning she had thrown it up. This after noon I found Diarraha on the floor was looked more like muscs and one part of it seemed really red. There was grass in it as well that she must have eaten yesterday or this morning when I let them out. She is calmer then she usually is but does not appear to be in pain. She had a vet appointment about a week or so ago where she got shots and the vet said she was in great health, but now I dont know why this is going on. I dont know if I should take her to an emergency vet or if I can wait until morning and take her to the vet that we went to see.

Sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well. While I won't be able to say for certain what is going on I can give you a few ideas that will hopefully help you know whether you need to see an emergency vet.

There are lots of things that can cause a dog to have vomiting and diarrhea. Fortunately, most of them are not serious. The most common reason is if a dog has eaten something unusual. But, often we don't find out what the culprit is.

There are also some more serious issues that can cause vomiting and diarrhea including pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign object or toxin ingestion.

Here are my criteria that would say that an emergency visit is necessary:

-If you felt that Baliey was really uncomfortable and couldn't get settled, then yes, I would have her seen today.

-Have a feel of her belly, right behind her ribs. If you push on this area (i.e. put a hand on either side and then push your fingers together towards the center of her body), is she really sore? If she fights against you and tenses up then this could be a sign if pain. This could indicate pancreatitis which can be fairly serious.

-If you think it's possible that she has eaten a foreign object (like swallowed a toy or clothing, etc.) then I would have her seen today.

-Is she spayed? If she is not spayed, then when she was in heat last? If she has had a heat within the last 2 months then a pyometra is possible. This is a serious uterine infection. If you think this is possible then the sooner she is seen the better.

-If diarrhea and vomiting has been going on for 2-3 days, this is usually my criteria to have the dog looked at, even if she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. So, if she is not better by tomorrow she should definitely be seen.

-Also, follow your gut. If you really feel that something is not right, then it never hurts to have an emergency visit just to be sure.

From what you have described, I am guessing that it should be alright to wait until tomorrow. Until then, make sure she has plenty of water. Also, you can try feeding a very small amount of boiled chicken and rice. There is nothing "magical" about chicken and rice but they are very bland foods that shouldn't make things worse. Don't try to entice her to eat by offering unusual foods. If she doesn't want to eat, then it means she is not feeling well.

I hope she feels better soon!

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (6963 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9265 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9848 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24335 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (29873 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9191 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5366 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19408 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8986 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19063 views)